What are you reading?

The place to discuss yogurt and other topics of culture or even create some of your own!

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Niorah

What are you reading?

#1 Post by Niorah » October 17th, 2004, 2:21 pm

Just curious...

I am reading ( verrry slowly due to lack of time... :roll: ) a small book written by a pretty famous italian enigmatographer ( according to my dictionary it's the right translation to indicate those guys that come up with word puzzles...), the book is like a long lesson on how the language is used to "say" things but to "not say" things as well, how one simple twist in a sentence can reverse all the meaning of it, how the use of words can be brought to the height of perfection in expression, it's really interesting...

How about you?

SpaceBall
Technical guru

#2 Post by SpaceBall » October 17th, 2004, 2:25 pm

The Machine Crusade ... Legends of Dune ...

Rain Fall - Barry Eisler

Duracell
Tinpot Dictator

#3 Post by Duracell » October 17th, 2004, 2:26 pm

I just got done reading "sickend" which is a story about a girl who was abused by her mom who had Munchousens Byproxy. It was not as good as I thaught it was going to be :( I have Terry Pratchets new book and some Michel Moor to get through next.

Grim

#4 Post by Grim » October 17th, 2004, 2:31 pm

I'm currently making my way through Eye of the World, the first book in the Wheel of Time series. At my current rate of progress I should be done with them all when I'm roughly 240. :roll:

Niorah

#5 Post by Niorah » October 17th, 2004, 2:35 pm

What is the Wheel of time series...?

Rocketman
Technical guru

Re: What are you reading?

#6 Post by Rocketman » October 17th, 2004, 2:50 pm

Niorah wrote:the book is like a long lesson on how the language is used to "say" things but to "not say" things as well, how one simple twist in a sentence can reverse all the meaning of it, how the use of words can be brought to the height of perfection in expression, it's really interesting

Sounds interesting. Although I expect there's little hope that there will be a translation some day?

I'm reading a book on Macro-Economics right now. And I picked up some old copies of Asimov's.

Fawkes

#7 Post by Fawkes » October 17th, 2004, 3:05 pm

how to hack PHPBB in 10 easy steps... I wish

Niorah

Re: What are you reading?

#8 Post by Niorah » October 17th, 2004, 3:12 pm

Rocketman wrote:Sounds interesting. Although I expect there's little hope that there will be a translation some day?

I don't think it will be translated because it was written to section and decipher the Italian language, I guess there must be an author that has done the same for the English language, maybe you can ask for advice at your local library...

Geck

#9 Post by Geck » October 17th, 2004, 3:57 pm

Lots and lots and lots of stuff for school. *cries*

"Cultural Anthropology"
"The Globalization of World Politics"
"In Defense of Globalization"
"A History of International Relations Theory"
"A House of My Own: Social Organization in the Squatter Settlements of Lima, Peru"
"Globalization: A Very Short Introduction"
Plato's "Republic"
Aristotle's "Politics"
Thucidydes' "History of the Pelopponesian War"

and....

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" :P

It had long been a secret source of shame that I had worked in a children's library for over 4 years and never read the Harry Potter books....I've now gotten through the first 4 in the last three weeks or so. They make a good distraction from school books :P
Last edited by Geck on October 17th, 2004, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duracell
Tinpot Dictator

#10 Post by Duracell » October 17th, 2004, 4:07 pm

Ohh yeah you have to love the set texts LOL

I did read one of Edwena Curries books over the summer and it was not as terrable as I thought it would be

Aurian
Benevolent Witch

#11 Post by Aurian » October 17th, 2004, 4:25 pm

Im reading about 6 Harlequin novels at once. (They are just enjoyable time-killers for me ). The book "Handling and existence" (Action and being/existance ) a book on anarchy and projectfilosophy.
the first discworld book. ( i havent managed to get past the introduction.. )..
Oh, it's what you do to me

Michael

#12 Post by Michael » October 17th, 2004, 7:09 pm

I'm reading The 9/11 Commission Report, as well as re-reading R.A. Salvatore's Star Wars: The New Jedi Order - Vector Prime (I'm re-reading the entire series). I also have Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks waiting.

LivingDeadGuy

#13 Post by LivingDeadGuy » October 17th, 2004, 7:21 pm

Star Trek - "A Time to Hate" by Robert Greenberger.
"And the sign said 'Long haired, freaky people need not apply.'"

RulanAllwine

#14 Post by RulanAllwine » October 17th, 2004, 8:06 pm

Niorah wrote:What is the Wheel of time series...?

Really, really long series of fantasy novels. Ten volumes to date, all in excess of 500 pages, and at least two more to come. First few were quite good, but the pace recently has slowed to a standstill. (And yet I'm still buying them. :roll: to me.)

I'm reading

White Teeth by Zadie Smith
how late it was, how late by James Kelman
Judge Savage by Tim Parks
A Time to be Born by John Vornholt
S.C.E.: Foundations by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore
Imaginings, edited by Keith R.A. DeCandido
Q by Luther Blissett
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Niorah

#15 Post by Niorah » October 17th, 2004, 8:11 pm

Thanks for the explanation, it does sound like it would take some effort to go through them all... :lol:

Kira's Mom

#16 Post by Kira's Mom » October 17th, 2004, 8:16 pm

Just finished Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens, and The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. Loved them both. Listening to the audio of The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brian (#16 in Aubrey/Maturin), and I just picked up Tales of the Dominion War. Just finished KRAD's story about Betazed. :D I'm going to read Jane Eyre next. Got a thing for classics this year, I don't know why!!!
"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"- Dr. Maturin, HMS Surprise

RulanAllwine

#17 Post by RulanAllwine » October 17th, 2004, 8:35 pm

Niorah wrote:Thanks for the explanation, it does sound like it would take some effort to go through them all... :lol:

It does, which is why I've given up rereading them before each new one comes out.

In spite of the fact that I already have all those books on my reading list, I'm seriously considering heading over to Borders to see what strikes my fancy. I lack self-control, so if I go at all I'll be returning with something. :D

Kira's Mom wrote:Just finished KRAD's story about Betazed.

I loved that story. I wouldn't have thought it was possible, given the prominence of Lwaxana, but it was a great read.

KindredWolf

#18 Post by KindredWolf » October 17th, 2004, 9:10 pm

I JuST finished reading Alas, Babylon (OMG OMG OMG Almost the best book ever) and Eternity Road :)

Meech

#19 Post by Meech » October 17th, 2004, 11:24 pm

I'm in the midst of reading The Dark Tower VII- The Dark Tower, the finale to Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Great so far!

Fairy Nuff

#20 Post by Fairy Nuff » October 18th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Having a Robert Rankin marathon - currently on Sprout Mask Replica. It's my 5th in a row and I see no end in sight yet!
Little Bunny Foo Foo, hopping through the forest
Scooping up the fieldmice and bopping them on the head

Tricorder

#21 Post by Tricorder » October 18th, 2004, 8:58 pm

Well, I actually just finished reading The Sands of Mars by Arthur C. Clarke. I'm going to read Timepiece by Brian N. Ball next. Bunch of old books that I picked up over the summer.

ARYLWREN1

#22 Post by ARYLWREN1 » October 19th, 2004, 6:16 am

I feel like I am neglecting my responcibilities.... I don't have time to read... :cry:
-pounce- tag your it!

BlackDog

#23 Post by BlackDog » October 19th, 2004, 11:00 am

I've been spending so much time reading message boards, LJ-ing and IM-ing that I've hardly been reading books myself lately, but I did make an exception for Terry Pratchett's new one, Going Postal, which I just loved... Pratchett is getting darker and darker, (which I personally like a lot) without ceasing to be funny.

I'm currently halfway through Exile's Valor by Mercedes Lackey - it's part of her Valdemar 'continuum'. I'm finding it disappointing. She's always had a habit of going into exhaustive detail about the minutiae of her characters' lives, which is sometimes interesting, especially in things like combat training and the practicalities of running an army, for example, but it's out of control in this book. I'm half expecting her to devote two pages to the protagonist's morning bowel movement any minute now... she tells good stories but this book needed some fierce editing that it didn't get..
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope an' throw an' brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide

The Men They Couldn't Hang

Captain Prudentilla Bonney

Duracell
Tinpot Dictator

#24 Post by Duracell » October 19th, 2004, 11:02 am

Fairy Nuff wrote:Having a Robert Rankin marathon - currently on Sprout Mask Replica. It's my 5th in a row and I see no end in sight yet!

I have the Hollow chocolate bunnies of the appocilips is it worth me bumping it up to the top of the pile?

Santaman
Administrators

#25 Post by Santaman » October 19th, 2004, 11:29 am

The user manual of the QDI ExcellenX II mainboard
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!