NEW MOON

"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

curiousa2z

NEW MOON

#1 Post by curiousa2z » November 20th, 2009, 4:58 pm

omg! the hype!
teenagers talk of opening night tonight as is it was the second coming! even the ADULTS in my ESL class night were going to see it and many of them had read the books! What's the inter-generational draw here?!?! The guy from Harry Potter??? :o
SHINY!

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: NEW MOON

#2 Post by PhoenixHope » November 20th, 2009, 11:12 pm

*shrug*

I don't really get it myself. Now granted the movie Twlight wasn't terrible, though not really my thing either. And I've never read the books, and have no interest in doing so. Though I should mention that I will probably watch New Moon when it comes out on DVD, but even then I'll Netflix it rather than buy it.

If I had to guess about the appeal, I'd say "safe vampires." Most of us long time vampire fans like them because while they can be good, even most good ones have the potential to be bad. But Twlight vampires are on the whole pretty and safe, at least the ones in the main character category, which probably appeals heavily to young and youngish girls.
Youngish is used in place of calling people old. *grin*

As I said once somewhere (don't think it was here) the demonic vampires have their fans, and their female fans (of which I am guilty, sometimes) can and often do woobify the demonic ones. Well, the Twlight vamps come pre-woobified, so that would be my guess when it comes to the appeal of Twlight.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

NX2000

Re: NEW MOON

#3 Post by NX2000 » January 9th, 2010, 4:30 am

Harry Potter is heroism, friendship, trust, romance, good v evil... etc.

Twilight (Tweelight?) is about havin' boyfriend.

Draw thy own conclusions.
De Oppresso Liber - US Army SF
The only easy day was yesterday - USN SEALs