Post Every Time You Enter #2

The friendly forum for chat and perhaps a virtual coffee

Moderators: Duracell, KatyJane, Aurian

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Post Every Time You Enter #2

#5026 Post by PhoenixHope » October 31st, 2013, 10:06 pm

Chatty wrote:If the coffee is that good, send me some!

I'm afraid I must confess that if the coffee is that good I'll probably have it gone entirely by tomorrow night.

PS - I probably should've been clearer about one thing - I don't believe I've seen Douwe Egberts as a coffee before - just that I'm pretty sure I've seen the name somewhere before.

Santaman wrote:Douwe Egberts colour codes their coffee, Aroma Rood means aroma red which is the one most people like. :christmas: there's a dark roast, extra dark roast, mild roast etc etc as well,

See! I knew I'd be wrong. LOL You probably made the right choice, because while I do like dark roast said roast can oftentimes be bitter and I very much dislike bitter coffee (to date I've only found two brands that dark doesn't equal bitter). And most mild roasts are only slightly stronger than coffee flavored water.

As for whiskey - I'm not even sure something like that could be sent through the mail anyway, so... Though my dad did bring me some back on a plane from Vegas one time. But, yeah, at those prices... Well, I could understand if you bought some that you'd end up drinking it for yourself, cause that's what I'd do.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#5027 Post by RJDiogenes » October 31st, 2013, 11:38 pm

Happy Halloween, everybody. Image

Even though I'm one of the few here who actually celebrate it. :lol:

Today I had the Hammer Film Marathon on TCM, and also watched my DVD of Fiend Without A Face, another episode of Thriller ("Pigeons From Hell," a Robert E Howard story), and "The Ripper" episode of Night Stalker. For junk food, I had a Hungry Man Chicken Dinner and brownie bites from the bakery.

huggle wrote:see why we don't really need Halloween? :D

Well, you still need something for October. :death:

ghost07 wrote:the one series of those gory movies that I can't watch at all were the Nightmare on Elm Street movies; probably because I have nightmares where I dream I've woken up, only to find myself still stuck in the nightmare.

I liked the first Nightmare On Elm Street.

PhoenixHope wrote:I got to say it's interesting to know coffee is in there, but not being able to read the labeling at all

Be careful. It may be a treat... or it may be a trick. :unsure:
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

huggle

#5028 Post by huggle » November 1st, 2013, 8:57 am

In October there's Harvest Festival plus gazillions of parish fairs. Those keep the kids well occupied :D
The gap between June and October is because Bavaria is a farming country: the kids are needed in the fields.
When I was at primary school, we used be led out into the potato fields for 1-2 days every June to collect potato beetles. That was fun!
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

RJDiogenes

#5029 Post by RJDiogenes » November 1st, 2013, 9:25 am

^^ That's fantastic. :lol:

Good morning, everyone. Image

Now it is blustery and rainy. Image

Halloween is over, but I plan to continue my marathon until I get bored. :D

Chatty

#5030 Post by Chatty » November 1st, 2013, 1:27 pm

I should have been clearer, I was speaking to Henry. Joking, of course. It would probably be too expensive to ship it from there to here in the US.

Santaman
Administrators

#5031 Post by Santaman » November 1st, 2013, 1:43 pm

About 18 to 19 Euros for a parcel with that amount of weight, Hope lives in the US btw. ;)
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#5032 Post by PhoenixHope » November 1st, 2013, 5:30 pm

OOOOKAY! I shouldn't have bothered with my PS above, because turns out where I've seen the name before IS coffee related. I should've waited until after I worked again, because turns out that's the brand of coffee we use where I work.

It IS a good good coffee. Smooth and strong without being bitter - we get lots of compliments on it So now I'm even more eager for my after work pot to brew up now, because the "blend" we use at work isn't coffee grounds it's a liquid mixture, so I'm very interested in the differences between grounds and what's likely "instant" blend, and the "instant" blend is awesome.

And holy crap! It cost that much for you to send that to me. I kinda feel bad now.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

Lowell

#5033 Post by Lowell » November 1st, 2013, 6:31 pm

Hope you have a great weekend. Been working outside cleaning up the mess from last night storm here.

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ That's fantastic. :lol:

Now it is blustery and rainy. Image

Halloween is over, but I plan to continue my marathon until I get bored. :D

Santaman
Administrators

#5034 Post by Santaman » November 1st, 2013, 7:09 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:
And holy crap! It cost that much for you to send that to me. I kinda feel bad now.

Hey, that's okay, :christmas: I won't make a habit out of it but this one I promised. ;)

RJDiogenes

#5035 Post by RJDiogenes » November 1st, 2013, 11:16 pm

Good evening, everybody. Image

Blustery and rainy became stormy and rainy. A branch came down near my car. :unsure: Image

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#5036 Post by PhoenixHope » November 2nd, 2013, 12:09 am

Oh, and just in case it doesn't go without saying the coffee is indeed awesome.

{{{{{hugs Santa}}}}}

Chatty

#5037 Post by Chatty » November 2nd, 2013, 1:07 am

Ah well, I can be happy with the Folgers the hubby brought home ;)

Don't be spending your hard-earned money like that, you need other things more than I need coffee.

RJDiogenes

#5038 Post by RJDiogenes » November 2nd, 2013, 9:20 am

Looks like I've lost a filling. Hopefully they can squeeze me in on Monday. That will be a fun activity for the last day of my vacation.

huggle

#5039 Post by huggle » November 2nd, 2013, 7:12 pm

aww, that sucks. Seems it's a bad week for teeth - wasn't it about a week ago that you had the last dentist appointment because a crown came loose?

My washing machine's pump broke down on Thursday evening (fate's revenge for my Halloween boycott?). After a night's rest it resumed work again but still makes funny noises - sounds a bit like a crossbred between an ultrasound bath and a furious grasshopper. It appears to vibrate extremely. I guess the screws that hold it into place got a bit loose. My dad guesses the pump swallowed a button. We'll see who's right (possibly both :D). As my bathroom has no daylight I'll pull the machine out on the landing to take it apart. The surgery will take place on the first sunny day :D It's been a while since I last dissembled a washing machine but I don't expect any problems.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#5040 Post by PhoenixHope » November 2nd, 2013, 7:29 pm

See Coffee - Re: Coffee

So, okay learning the cost sorta kept me from doing what I was actually supposed too. Which was comparing the so-called civilized coffee to the American blends, but learning the cost just to ship it and I got all coy. And I don't really know why.

But I figure I should do this, and not feel to bad about it (after all that was the ultimate reason for the sending, and I figure others might be interested, so...), AND Santa was correct - it is better than the American blends I've tried. Though I can't remotely say I've tasted them all.

Yes, it beats Folgers and Maxwell House hands down, and I say that as I drink a warm cuppa Maxwell House, because I've decided Santa stuff should last me at least a few days so I can properly savor - yes that means I'm saving it for a day off when I have nothing to do but sit around drinking coffee.

Also I say this as someone who drinks lots of Folgers and Maxwell House because they are the best of the best of America's "cheap" blends, and so I think they are fairly good coffee. However, admittedly I mostly drink them because coffee ain't cheap (another reason I blinked, because if that's just the cost of the shipping noted above - DAYUM!), but there's "cheap" and then there's "oh hell no life is WAY too short" (so, yeah, I could buy cheaper coffee but NO!). *coughs*
But seriously I can buy a can of Folgers and/or Maxwell House that's around ten times bigger than the brick Santa sent for the same price that some of the better blends I sometimes buy cost for a bag only about twice the size of the brick. And even then I think it costs too much, but what can I say I gots to have me coffee.

Anyway, so back to the point - obviously the stuff Santa sent beats Folgers and Maxwell House - it also beats the Dunkin' Donuts blend fairly easily (and for the record the Dunkin' blend beats Folgers and Maxwell House).

There is a blend that's on par with it (though Santas is slightly better) but after reading the packing I don't think it's an American blend, because it says founded in Sweden, and that is Gevalia. I was actually a bit disappointed when I actually read the label on this one, because I wanted to have an American blend at least in the ballpark of his. If for no other reason so I could return the favor and send him some as proof, but alas not to be.
(But for the record, when I have to drink decaff for work reasons Gevalia is the only decaf I can stand, because at least it doesn't taste like decaf.)

However, in a weird twist I remember several years ago (probably five) I bought a cheap blend from like IGA or the Dollar Store and found it to be a hidden gem of a coffee (seriously at that point it was the best coffee I'd ever tasted), but then they apparently changed the way it was made and it went cheap nasty and so I went back to Folgers.

RJDiogenes

#5041 Post by RJDiogenes » November 2nd, 2013, 9:12 pm

^^ I don't drink coffee, but my siblings are addicted to the Dunkin' Donuts brand. Well, my sister kicked it a few years ago, but my brothers are.

Good evening, everyone. Image

huggle wrote:aww, that sucks. Seems it's a bad week for teeth - wasn't it about a week ago that you had the last dentist appointment because a crown came loose?

This is the same one. A few weeks ago, I lost the filling and the dentist put in a temporary one. I was supposed to go back in about a month to see how the nerve was doing. I hope he can can refill it. Or at least I hope they can do a root canal. I don't want to lose another tooth.

sounds a bit like a crossbred between an ultrasound bath and a furious grasshopper.

:unsure:

The surgery will take place on the first sunny day :D It's been a while since I last dissembled a washing machine but I don't expect any problems.

Good luck to the patient. :)

Santaman
Administrators

#5042 Post by Santaman » November 2nd, 2013, 9:19 pm

I am glad that you like the coffee Hope. :D

The coffee itself isn't all that expensive, the 18 Euro's were the shipping costs alone, shipping cost for sending parcels has been getting more expensive over the years..

Nahtmmm

#5043 Post by Nahtmmm » November 2nd, 2013, 9:31 pm

Saw Ender's Game last night. They pared down the book considerably, but what was left was done pretty well and stood on its own.

I'm also overdue for a haircut.
Last edited by Nahtmmm on November 2nd, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chatty

#5044 Post by Chatty » November 2nd, 2013, 9:32 pm

Sitting all by my lonesome and wishing the chat server wasn't down :(

RJDiogenes

#5045 Post by RJDiogenes » November 3rd, 2013, 10:34 am

^^ :(

Last night it was time to turn back the clock, so I got an extra hour of sleep-- or, rather, an extra hour of laying in bed wishing I was asleep.

huggle

#5046 Post by huggle » November 3rd, 2013, 11:50 am

we switched last weekend already.

RJDiogenes

#5047 Post by RJDiogenes » November 3rd, 2013, 10:53 pm

^^ Yup, now we're back in sync. Well, back to our usual out-of-syncness. :D

Good evening, everyone. Image

Tomorrow morning I will call the dentist. Bleah. What a way to finish off my long weekend.

Lowell

#5048 Post by Lowell » November 4th, 2013, 12:37 am

Good luck and have a great week everyone.

RJDiogenes

#5049 Post by RJDiogenes » November 4th, 2013, 10:25 am

The wind is back.

I'll be calling the dentist in a couple of hours. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

huggle

#5050 Post by huggle » November 4th, 2013, 11:11 am

*crosses fingers, toes and eyes* :)