2000 m / 6000 ft mountain in NL to be built

Questions, guidance and discussion

Moderator: Angry Angel

huggle

2000 m / 6000 ft mountain in NL to be built

#1 Post by huggle » August 25th, 2011, 11:17 am

Found this in the news
[So far the highest elevation in the Netherlands (nomen est omen!) is the Vaalserberg with 322.5 m / roughly 1000 feet. The highest peak in their colonies is Mt Scenery on Saba - a Caribbbean island - with 877 m / approx. 2600 feet] :
A 2,000-metre-high mountain in the flatlands of the Netherlands is no longer just a pipe dream, the idea's main supporter, a newspaper columnist, said on Saturday.

"The idea is not new but it's the first time that it is taken seriously by so many people," Thijs Zonneveld, a former athlete and writer for free daily De Pers said.

According to Zonneveld, engineers, construction firms, investors and experts are already busy discussing the feasibility of a man-made mountain that would include ski slopes, bobsleigh tracks, an ice rink, hiking trails, cliffs for climbing and scenic mountain roads with hairpin turns.

"It seems like that my plea -- a joke at first -- has clicked," the columnist said.

During these socially difficult times, "people want to get excited about a big project and say: yes we can do that. Companies see a chance to create innovation platforms," he said.

The project website receives hundreds of hits every day and more than 8,200 people follow Zonneveld on Twitter.

A former semi-professional cyclist, Zonneveld decried his country's "boring" flatness in a column in July.

"Flat is ideal for growing beetroot, raising cows or building straight roads, but it's a catastrophe from a sports point-of-view," he wrote.

"I want a mountain, a real one. In the Netherlands."

Beyond being a tourist attraction, Zonneveld said his mountain would allow athletes to train in high altitudes and finally be on equal footing with competitors from countries with heights.

On Thursday, the cycling, skiing and climbing federations agreed.

"The hills in Limburg can no longer be compared to the Alps and Pyrenees. For this reason, we support the mountain," the federations said in a joint statement.

The ideal site would be the central Flevoland province, Zonneveld said.

"There's room and land is not expensive," he said adding that the province had already launched a study.

"I'm living a dream right now. It would be marvelous if the mountain became reality by 2018," the columnist said.

I suggest a board meeting on the peak of that mountain with a yummy picknick and perhaps a little stargazing or sightseeing (from up there one should see all of the Benelux states)
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

Santaman
Administrators

Re: 2000 m / 6000 ft mountain in NL to be built

#2 Post by Santaman » August 25th, 2011, 3:53 pm

They guy is obviously insane... mountains are not needed, we have speedbumps plenty...

:p
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

RJDiogenes

#3 Post by RJDiogenes » August 25th, 2011, 11:55 pm

They'll have to build a valley, too, I suppose, to get the building material.

I wonder if they'll build it with caves to explore. That would be cool. 8)

Another interesting thought: I wonder if this will effect weather patterns.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

huggle

#4 Post by huggle » August 27th, 2011, 8:19 pm

they could presumably take the building material from the sea. The river Rhine brings quite a lot of sediment which needs to be dug out every year.
With that material the slopes couldn't be built in a much steeper angle than 45-55° which means that the mountain would have to be about 4 km / 2.5 miles in diameter at its base.

Caves would be totally cool but might pose a static problem.

I am not sure about the influence on the weather on a large scale, but the microclimate in the immediate vicinity would certainly undergo a big change. The western slope would be rather moist while the eastern one would be dry (in Europe, rain generally comes from the west).
Also, it'd reflect heat so that south of the mountain the summers would be hotter and the winters milder. It would be an excellent place for a vinyard.
North of the mountain it'd get colder all year round because of the shadow the mountain casts. A nice refuge in a tropical heat wave as we had it the last 2 weeks.
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

RJDiogenes

#5 Post by RJDiogenes » August 27th, 2011, 9:30 pm

It will be fascinating to see how this works out. 8)
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)