"Ringer" Season One Discussion Thread!

"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

RJDiogenes

Re: "Ringer" Season One Discussion Thread!

#51 Post by RJDiogenes » November 30th, 2011, 12:10 am

Haven't seen Amber Benson around in a while.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Ringer 1x10 "That's What You Get Trying to Kill Me"

#52 Post by PhoenixHope » December 1st, 2011, 3:45 am

No, just NO! And that's probably all I should say about the episode, really, because the episode before this made me think Ringer might end up being an okay show after all, and then there's this week... The week that makes me think this episode of Ringer is my last episode of Ringer.

However, before I get more into it I should say that I am aware that this review is really really late. The reason for that is that around lunch time I got a call for a job interview, so I had to clean myself up a bit and then go beg for a job without seeming like I'm begging. *sigh* Anyway, by the time I got back from that I just didn't feel like getting into this disappointing episode of Ringer, but now hours later I just want to get this over with. So...

Ringer 1x10 That's What You Get Trying to Kill Me

So, as I said, last week I though Ringer was a show that was going to eventually grow on me, and then there was this week. So much wrong with this episode. So much. And honestly since it promises more Siobhan you'd think I'd have liked it, but there's even wrong there.

The least wrong thing here was the pimping of an Amber Benson (Tara) episode and then she's only in the damn episode for less then two minutes because she was killed before we ever met her character. Which, fine, okay, because the CW itself did not really pimp this up, I guess, but over the nets there was attempts at pimpage for this the not-so-Amber episode. Of course, this didn't really bother me, except that I was kinda looking forward to seeing Amber play a stripper, but I guess if wishes was horses we'd all be riding.

Out of the truly bothersome stuff in this episode, the Siobhan stuff is the least of what's wrong with this show now - so I'm going there second. So, back in the day Bridget found Siobhan's private stash of money that Siobhan had hidden away, and Bridget thinking Siobhan is dead took it, which left Siobhan broke in France and forced to rely on the kindness of strangers (or the kindness of the man she's apparently trying to use to screw Andrew somehow) to remain at the posh hotel where she was staying. But then this week Siobhan somehow comes up with enough money to get herself back to New York - what did she do? Rob a bank. See, Show, showing Siobhan robbing a bank would've been much more interesting then the story you actually presented in this episode.

Now lets move to Gemma, who admittedly I thought was dead until almost out of the blue (last episode) it was revealed that she was in fact alive. And while I wasn't exactly happy about that I didn't hate that reveal because it showed that Siobhan might just have something that resembled a heart. But by the end of this episode Gemma is dead, but shockingly not because Charlie shot her in the head at practically point blank range, but somehow managed to miss. *sigh* Seriously, Show, SERIOUSLY!

Somehow Charlie gets it together and does finally manage to kill her (or maybe not the show didn't reveal whether or not Gemma was dead along side Charlie or not) just before actual!Siobhan shows up and kills him after some BLAH BLAH BLAH talk. Basically, Charlie thinks Siobhan won't shoot him because Siobhan wouldn't just kill Bridget, but then I thought the reason Siobhan wanted Bridget to take her place was because Siobhan was trying to smoke out who was trying to kill her but do so without actually putting herself in danger. All this probably means Siobhan was lying to Charlie just like she's lied to pretty much everyone else, but it didn't feel like the show was presenting it that way it honestly felt like the show was supporting the idea that Siobhan was just to soft to kill Bridget.

However, before Gemma is finally killed Charlie (or Joe, or WHO CARES!) reveals that Siobhan is in fact alive and well, which made me want Gemma to live, because I think that could've been interesting. Gemma knowing that Siobhan is alive and is also apparently a-okay with Bridget prancing around pretending to be Siobhan.

Anyway, I think lots of stuff in this episode was supposed to come across as fast-paced and exciting, but really just came across as weirdly paced and just outright weird.

Then we come to the part of this episode that I simply outright hate, and not just because Juliett is a boring character with a boring story that really bores me, because I said HATE not boring. And I suppose my hate could be muted if he (the teacher) really did it, but I suspect it will play out the cliche' way, and that PISSES ME OFF!

The cliche' you ask. Well, says I, you see it goes like this - Girl lusts for hot teacher and then after being alone with the supposed resisting teacher comes back to say teacher raped her. And that's part of my problem because all we see is girl annoying teacher with her crush and pathetic attempts at flirting, then hot teacher tells best friend to leave the room leaving hot teacher and girl alone. Sure she's crying later when she talks to her friend and tells her friend she was raped, which means the show has left it open so they could go in a way that wouldn't piss me off, or they could follow the cliche' and reveal that the dirty girl tried to get hot teacher to have sex and when he refused, because we all know those poor brave men hold strong and then are victims of those damn dirty girls... *coughs* Anyway, when the poor brave man says no the nasty girl runs off and tells a lie just to punish him.

UGH!

And, yeah, as I said it is possible Ringer might actually go with teacher being guilty (and I sincerely hope so), but at this point I just don't trust the people behind this show not to go with the above cliche' simply because to date so much of this show has lived the cliche'.

And the promos for the grand return after the Christmas break make it seem like Bridget is about to go crazy and not in the way I keep hoping for, but actual crazy, though I suspect Siobhan being back in town might have something to do with that, but if Siobhan back in town is gonna play like this then Siobhan needs to get her ass back to France pronto!

So, I will probably give this show just one more chance. Meaning I'll watch the first episode after the Christmas hiatus, but if it goes the way I fear it will then I am finally and officially done with this show.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#53 Post by RJDiogenes » December 2nd, 2011, 12:30 am

Good luck with the job!

So just two minutes of Amber Benson? And not stripping? That's just a rip off. :(

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Ringer 1x11 "It Just Got Normal"

#54 Post by PhoenixHope » January 30th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Ringer 1x11 "It Just Got Normal"

Episode Description
(From CWTV.com)

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM - Bridget (Sarah Michelle Gellar) offers to host a fundraiser that her friend Greer (guest star Madchen Amick) is holding for Juliet's (Zoey Deutch) school and discovers that Greer knew one of Siobhan's deep dark secrets. While back in New York, Siobhan discovers that Bridget has settled into her former life more easily than Siobhan expected and she is determined to change that. Meanwhile, Malcolm ( Mike Colter ) decides to work for Andrew (Ioan Gruffudd) at Martin/Charles in order to keep an eye on him, and Henry (Kristoffer Polaha) mourns the death of his wife. Nestor Carbonell also stars.
Jeff Thomas directed the episode written by Cathryn Humphris.

So, I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to watch this episode of Ringer or continue watching Ringer period. Honestly, the first half of the season simply did not hook me - sure there was enough to keep me watching, but nothing that made Ringer a "must see" show for me. And admittedly my continued watching of Ringer probably had more to do with the fact that I was unemployed AND aside from Once Upon A Time Ringer was the only other early week fall series that I watched. In the fall Wednesday thru Friday (but especially Wednesday) was the packed nights.

Now that's all changed. Not only do I have a job, but I have been sucked into Sy-Fys new show Lost Girl, which was a bit of a surprise. I decided to watch the encore of the first episode very spur of the moment, but because I've never been all that interested in the mythology the show is playing with I did not expect to like the show, but instead it sucked me in from almost the first scene - I guess good characters with good actors behind them will do that. Add to that the fact that Being Human (and more importantly) Pretty Little Liars are back to airing new episodes and that basically means on the weeks I have to work Monday and/or Tuesday I have more shows then I have time to watch in one night, which means at least one generally ends up pushed to Tuesday night. And even the Monday show I'm least interested in (Being Human) is loads more interesting to me then Ringer is.

Still since I haven't honestly decided whether or not I'm contining with Ringer I decided to at least post one more episode description, because honestly even if I do watch this episode (not likely until Wednesday, if then) then I'm pretty much working on the days/nights (Thursday and Friday again) I'd use to type/post my review, which means even if I decide to watch I'm unlikely to ever review this episode of Ringer.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#55 Post by RJDiogenes » January 30th, 2012, 11:46 pm

I've been watching Lost Girl, too, but I'm still undecided about it.

Love Being Human, though. 8)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#56 Post by PhoenixHope » January 31st, 2012, 3:44 am

Well, the truth is I almost stopped watching Being Human before last season ended, but I decided to stick it out until the end of the season. After that I didn't plan to come back, but I forgot to take it off my DVR, and saw the first episode there after I watched the encore premiere episode of Lost Girl.

And to be fair this time I'm glad I forgot to take something off my DVR, because this season is (so far) working better for me then towards the end of last season did, but I doubt it's going to become one of my favorite shows.

RJDiogenes

#57 Post by RJDiogenes » February 1st, 2012, 12:57 am

Interesting. I actually thought the previews looked pretty stupid before the first season began, and I only decided to check it out because it had a werewolf. But I was hooked on it almost immediately; I think it's fantastic.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#58 Post by PhoenixHope » February 21st, 2012, 10:57 pm

No, I'm not posting an episode description this time, but wanted to mention that tonight's episode of Ringer is the episode that will have Misha (Collins).

And, yeah, I plan to watch, though not really because of Misha, but because I was bored last week I ended up watching Ringer so that's how I know this is that Misha episode, and also I have to say that as a show Ringer may possibly be finding its feet. Of course, it's too little too late now, AND it's still a show that grabs things from other shows/movies and yet doesn't really put a new twist on those things.

RJDiogenes

#59 Post by RJDiogenes » February 22nd, 2012, 12:38 am

I saw the commercial for this episode during Supernatural and noticed Cass. I hope he does well. I wonder if he will be a regular.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#60 Post by PhoenixHope » February 24th, 2012, 1:04 am

Ringer ?x? That Misha episode!

Okay, this really isn't a review, but I watched the episode... And again while Ringer does finally seem to be finding it's feet there's still just something about this show that I just can't get into.

But the main thing I walked away from this episode with was the thought that crying isn't apparently Misha's strong point. But at least it was nice to see him allowed to express emotion since the character he was playing on Ringer was a way more emotional character then Cass.

Re: Being Human:

It's weird, but even Mark didn't elevate the episode of Being Human, despite the fact that he was as wonderful with this as he was on Supernatural. Maybe it's just me, but despite the strongish start for this season of Being Human it's starting to lose me again. I don't really know why except as with Ringer somehow no matter how much I might wish otherwise I just can't seem to bond to the characters or story.

On the other hand, Lost Girl enchants me more and more each week.

RJDiogenes

#61 Post by RJDiogenes » February 25th, 2012, 12:49 am

That's funny. I've loved Being Human since day one. Lost Girl is definitely growing on me, although I still find some aspects of it awkward; mainly the acting of the main character. It's very cleverly written, though.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#62 Post by PhoenixHope » May 12th, 2012, 1:17 am

I decided to revive this thread for one last post as I did with/for The Secret Circle. Unlike The Secret Circle post, however, I have no link with info about what a season two of Ringer might've been. Though I've heard that the writers for Ringer had a three year plan I'm just... Well, after watching most of season one I kinda doubt it.

To the shock of maybe a few Ringer will not be back on the CW for a second season.

It's dead, Jim!

However, in more positive news SMG and hubby (Freddy) are currently expecting their second child. So, at least SMG won't have to work while pregnant unless she just wants to.

RJDiogenes

#63 Post by RJDiogenes » May 12th, 2012, 9:25 pm

That's too bad. I didn't like the show, but I feel sorry for the fans and I hate to see anybody out of a job.