Lets talk about scary and/or slasher movies!

"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Lets talk about scary and/or slasher movies!

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » October 5th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Yes, I decided to (FINALLY) change the title of this thread to give lookers a better idea of what was actually happening in this thread.

Okay, I admit it - I didn't watch Ringer last night (9/4/11), so no Ringer review from me today. I honestly meant to watch Ringer again at least one more time, because it hasn't yet completely turned me off (though it is not the thriller I was expecting and more of a night-time soap), but over on SyFy they've started their 31 days of Halloween, and I had a couple DVRed movies from that (My Bloody Valentine, Never Cry Werewolf, and FearDotCom) and I decided to watch those movies instead of Ringer last night.

I'd always intended to watch the My Bloody Valentine remake and FearDotCom but had just never gotten around to it. Though I'd never heard of Never Cry Werewolf and pretty much only watched it because Elena (Nina from The Vampire Diaries) is the star. If I'd seen Never Cry Werewolf before I heard about her being cast as Elena I'd have probably never had doubts about her ability to pull off the character of Elena. Anyway OT is starting to go very OT so I'll stop here.
(Let's just say I liked My Bloody Valentine and Never Cry Werewolf, but didn't much care for FearDotCom.)

NOTE: Since I couldn't stop myself from returning and being all OT I decided to try my modly powers to split the OT from the Ringer discussion thread, and look at that it worked! YAY!
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: "Ringer" Season One Discussion Thread!

#2 Post by RJDiogenes » October 6th, 2011, 12:15 am

I saw Never Cry Werewolf when it first came on, and I remember being impressed with the lead actress. I didn't realize until just now that it was her. The movie was pretty good, up until the end-- the over-the-top climax kind of ruined it. I haven't seen those other two movies.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

swerving OT for a moment

#3 Post by PhoenixHope » October 6th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Okay, a quickie jump OT into movie-land!

Yeah, Never Cry Werewolf has my all time movie pet peeve (you can be healed of wolf/vampire/etc. if you kill the one that made you - UGH! STOP IT! IT MAKES NO SENSE. If I get the flu I am not cured if I kill the one who gave it to me, though granted it might make me feel a little better), but to be honest I was kinda expecting this one to be a cheese-fest, so I was pleased when it turned out not to be quite what I was expecting, though it is (of course) a little cheesy.

As for My Bloody Valentine 3D (which is a remake of My Bloody Valentine, and watching the first one won't exactly help you figure out what's what in the remake) it's not exactly a movie critics liked, but I actually liked it, mostly because while the kills themselves was sometimes (maybe always) hard to believe the victims (as a general rule) in this movie did not simply stand there waiting to be offed like they do in most movies of this type in this movie they actually fought back. What can I say thats one of the things I generally hate about horror movies. Sure it loses a few points because everyone and their brother trips and falls down while running from the killer - on the other hand, EVERYONE tripped and fell down not just the girls which was nice.

Of course, the kill scenes would've been better (no doubt) if I'd seen them in 3-D the way it was intended to be seen, but shockingly I don't generally watch horror movies for the killing scenes anyway. I usually watch because I'm in the mood to be scared and creeped out.

But what shocked me most was FearDotCom, because I was expecting this one to hit all the buttons that make a move good for me. Scares, mysteries, thrills, and chills. Instead I was mostly bored by it - the big mystery of how the website was killing people was so obvious that it can't (or shouldn't) be called a mystery. Sure towards the end the movie picks up a little bit, but that just wasn't enough to make the whole thing rewatchable, cause while it did get a little better it still (as far as I'm concerned) didn't get good. Of course, to be fair, Never Cry Werewolf wasn't scary either, but then again I didn't go in expecting that one to actually be scary.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#4 Post by RJDiogenes » October 7th, 2011, 12:22 am

Poor FearDotCom has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 3%. I feel bad for it. I might watch it just out of pity. :lol:

Yeah, I didn't expect Never Cry Werewolf to be scary. Just the fact that Hercules was in it was evidence that it was supposed to be goofy fun. But I like Werewolves (and, what the hell, I like goofy fun). I agree that the "kill the maker" idea is stupid; although it was part of that Werewolf series back in the 80s, which was pretty good. Anyway, the part I really didn't like was all the pyrotechnics at the end when the Werewolf was killed. WTF? He was a Werewolf not the Atomic Monster From Outer Space.

I generally don't watch slasher movies, so I never saw My Bloody Valentine. I think the only slasher movies I ever liked were the Psycho movies, if those count.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: swerving OT for a moment

#5 Post by PhoenixHope » October 7th, 2011, 12:42 am

So, I said I was only going to make the one OT post here, but then I had to come back just to confirm that My Bloody Valentine is indeed a slasher flick and a gory one at that.

Oh boy is it! (Frank talk/description about the slasher moments follows)

There's one scene that really gets me (aside from the pick axe that pops an eye out then puts it back in near the beginning of the movie, which wasn't actually that gross, but I have an eye gore thing so I HATED that!) and that's when the baby sitter/housekeeper (who's not a hot teen) gets killed and stashed in the working dryer - it wasn't gross (for me) until some idiot opened the dryer. ECK!
(Oh, and since I separated the thread I'll expand on the eye thing (cause before the thread separate I really was trying to keep it short and sweet! But no more!) - most scary/slasher movies will telegraph things, but the eye popper totally was NOT telegraphed so I was looking right there when it happened. UGH! Of course, I generally hate it when a movie telegraphs their moves, but sometimes I NEED them too.)

Of course, there's other scenes - one man (an older man) gets his jaw ripped off by a pick axe (and it flies at you, which I think would've made me jump in 3-D), and a hot teen gal gets a serious shovel to the mouth (it split her head!), which was a bit more gross then expected.

So, yeah, pretty much a slasher of the higher order. Certainly a movie I'll watch the next time I'm in need of some serious killin' on my screen!

RJDiogenes wrote:Poor FearDotCom has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 3%. I feel bad for it. I might watch it just out of pity. :lol:

Yeah, and actually it might not seem as bad if you don't go in expecting much (I've had that happen before, when I'm warned something is bad I tend to enjoy it a bit more then most of the audience), but since I'd planned to watch this one at some point I'd avoided spoilers/reviews so I was expecting something good and that's not what I got.
(Okay, I didn't avoid spoilers/reviews so much as I just didn't bother to go looking for them.)

As for Never Cry Werewolf I thought most (all?) the effects revolving around the werewolf was pretty bad, though I do get how the "killing glow" was over-the-top. Though, to be fair, I don't mind "bad" effects as long as the story holds up.

RJDiogenes

Re: Okay, I admit it - I didn't watch "Ringer" on 9/4/11

#6 Post by RJDiogenes » October 7th, 2011, 11:34 pm

I like bad movies as long as they are entertainingly bad-- the old B-Movie, Drive-In, Creature Feature, Late Show kind. So if FearDotCom is like that, I'll probably enjoy it. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#7 Post by PhoenixHope » October 8th, 2011, 12:10 am

Well then you probably won't like FearDotCom - it's not so bad it's good. For example, like some of those movies you talk about the effects will at least make you smile/laugh. However, the effects for FearDotCom are actually okay (maybe even slightly better then okay) and that basically just makes you sad (or it just made me sad), because a movie with effects that good should at least have a decent script to go with it.

RJDiogenes

#8 Post by RJDiogenes » October 8th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. The worst thing is when the actors are good and you feel sorry for them being stuck in a bad movie.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#9 Post by PhoenixHope » October 17th, 2011, 11:05 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Yeah, I didn't expect Never Cry Werewolf to be scary. Just the fact that Hercules was in it was evidence that it was supposed to be goofy fun. But I like Werewolves (and, what the hell, I like goofy fun).

Oh, and I meant to add this awhile back, but as usual I forgot.

I think Kevin Sorbo is honestly a great actor, so I don't automatically associate his name with crackTV/movies. I mean he deserves his own series (some more -- again), but I mean seriously if he was a bad actor I don't think he would've managed to lead not just one but two TV shows.

And he was awesome in Never Cry Werewolf. Of course, admittedly I do get something of a kick out of actors/actresses mocking themselves/the industry, but some actors/actress just can't do it well, but Kevin pulled it off very well in Never Cry Werewolf. And, okay, I admit I kinda loved big old Kevin being scared while little ol' Nina saved his behind. What can I say stuff like that somewhat hits a kink or two of mine.

Plus, of course, he's hot and that's just never a bad thing.

However, I came back to this thread to say that after last night - I AM GIVING UP ON SLASHER MOVIES! DAMN YOU, Wrong Turn 3!

Seriously, the eye thing in My Bloody Valentine was bad enough (but at least that one gave me crazy-kinda-evil Jensen to make up for it), but then last night I started to watch Wrong Turn 3 (another movie that I hadn't watched before), and worse then the eye thing WT3 had a boob shot, while I was staring right THERE because once again a movie didn't give me any warning! Well, you know other then being a slasher in the first place.
(I guess it's revenge, because somehow the people behind this series know I only started watching in the first place because they had Eliza Dushku (aka Faith) in the first movie, and had her in chains at one point. (YAY for bloodplay and bondage!) And only went for the second one because they slaughtered reality TV stars (YAY!) - that's the main reason I like 2 better then one, and the main reason I don't think Halloween Ressurection sucked ass like most Halloween fans. What I'm saying is there should be more slasher movies with killing of reality TV stars.)

UGH!

I cradled my boobs the rest of the night, and to be perfectly honest they are still a little scared/shy today. So, DAMN YOU, Wrong Turn 3! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

RJDiogenes

#10 Post by RJDiogenes » October 17th, 2011, 11:39 pm

^^ I can dig it. Crotch attacks on men are fairly common these days, which I don't particularly enjoy.

I like Kevin Sorbo as an actor. He was great in Hercules and he was great in the first two seasons of Andromeda. Unfortunately, his ego led to the destruction of Andromeda, a show which could have been up there with Star Trek, Stargate, et cetera if the creator had had his way. :(

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#11 Post by PhoenixHope » October 18th, 2011, 2:06 am

Hmm, didn't know that, but admittedly I didn't watch Andromeda anyway, but yeah if that's the case then I could see why some wouldn't like him much.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Lets talk about scary and/or slasher movies!

#12 Post by PhoenixHope » October 22nd, 2011, 10:44 pm

Sooo, despite the travesty that was part of the opening of Wrong Turn 3 I decided to watch another scary movie... One day I will go back and finish watching WT3, but I will NOT watch that opening scene again. Nope, no way, no how, because that opening scene has almost turned me off of watching the movie entirely.

Anyway, Thursday night instead of watching The Vampire Diaries I watched the Toolbox Killer/Toolbox Murders (sorry, can't remember exact title), and while I've been annoyed at characters in slasher movies before - some I've went so far as to outright yell at - I've been told that I expect to much logic from my slasher movies, but seriously nothing kills the scare factor for me more then stupid characters being stupid.

And I don't think I've ever encountered a more stupid scary movie character then the main female character of this movie. Seriously, she knows something screwy is going on - she doesn't exactly know people are dead at that point, but she damn well knows people are missing, and she's found teeth inside a wall. So, instead of getting the fuck out of there what does she do? She goes off to find and then she stupidly enters a secret room while telling NO ONE what she's doing.

Well, let me tell you I've never ever wanted to jump in to the movie and kill a person myself as much as I did with this movie. Seriously, there was two different moments (before she was ever even attacked) that I found myself slashing at her with the fake knife in my hand. UGH!

Then last night (after watching Supernatural) I decided to watch Timber Falls, and while this one was at least a better movie - the main female in this movie also annoyed me. Her man has a gun, which since they're in a scary movie is a good thing, but even if they wasn't in a scary movie a gun in the woods to kill things not human isn't a bad thing. But what does she do? She insists he gets rid of the gun - I wanted to smack her, though to be fair at this point she didn't know they was in a scary movie, but they had just been somewhat threatened by some guys in the woods. But when he comes back that he can't leave a loaded gun in the woods, she insists he gets rid of the bullets then he can get rid of the gun later, and it was at that point my sympathy for this character vanished.

The bigger problem for me with this movie was that I called everything way to early - I knew who the main villains was gonna be and was not fooled at all by the threatening young men. And also while the first time a movie played the religious people are nuts angle it was interesting and a nice twist, but now I must say I'm almost tired of movies playing that angle, because it seems they all do it now. But especially in this movie it didn't make much sense - woman wants a baby, but she doesn't want one born out of wedlock, so crazy hubby and brother kidnaps couples in the woods (the implication is that they only kidnap couples living in sin, but that's never actually said for certain) force them to marry and then mate so they can give her a baby - I don't know, I guess I was just hoping this movie would be a tad more on the scary erotic side instead of just the scary crazy religious side.

Anyway, there's still two movie movies from massive record Thursday (Chain Letter, which I think I may have seen before - sometimes these type movies blend together in my head and until I watch I can't remember if I've seen them or not) and Wolvesbayne (I think, which I don't think I've seen before). Here's hoping one of these is a hidden gem that the other two just wasn't.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#13 Post by PhoenixHope » October 23rd, 2011, 8:22 pm

Okay, so I ended up watching neither Chain Letter nor Wolvesbayne last night. After I went out, I came back and saw that in just under a half hour House of Bones was scheduled to air, so I got myself comfortable and watched that instead since I'd been meaning to watch it for about a year now.

And it wasn't bad - it tried to be more scary then gory, though there was gore (DAMN IT MOVIE PEOPLE! STOP IT WITH THE FUCKIN' EYE GORE ALL READY!) but at least this movie gave me fair warning the eye gore was coming so I could look away - when the mini robot started toward the dude on the ground I don't know how but I just knew!

Now I said this movie tried to be scary, and that's exactly what I meant it tried but wasn't actually scary, at least not to me. However, if this was your first scary movie it might maybe scare you, but after watching millions of these... Well, I'm jaded. Seriously, at this point I'm not even sure exactly how a movie might scare me, though I guess a good start would be to not telegraph when the scares are coming (cause there was some things in this movie that I think should've been scary), but do please to keep telegraphing when the gore is coming (thank you).

RJDiogenes

#14 Post by RJDiogenes » October 23rd, 2011, 8:48 pm

I don't think it's possible for a movie to scare me anymore, either (except in the sense that it's scary to think people liked nuTrek, or something like that). But I still enjoy them on their other merits-- either because they're good or amusingly bad. I seldom watch slasher movies, though; I prefer some kind of supernatural or fantasy element.

I'm wondering if Wolvesbayne is a Werewolf movie. I'll have to do a little research....

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#15 Post by PhoenixHope » October 23rd, 2011, 11:09 pm

I don't know why, but your post reminded me of a time I was over on Netflix looking through their recommendations for me (sometime last year, I think, it's been awhile), and one thing stood out above the others by a country mile.

I had rated the American Pie movies as liked, and so Netflix was recommending Saw to me because I'd liked American Pie (the text told me Saw was recced because I liked American Pie) - I kid you not! I spent days trying to figure that one out, because while I knew the Saw movies are as different as night to die to the American Pie movies I realized that there might be people out there who wouldn't, so I then spent another several days feeling sorry for whatever unsuspecting soul who liked the American Pie movies decided to rent Saw because Netflix apparently thinks/thought Saw and American Pie was the same kind of movie - they'd (the suspected poor soul) get one hell of a rude awakening if they clicked to rent Saw because they liked American Pie, especially if they did not like slasher movies at all!

Anyway, to answer you're actual question - according to the description on my DISH guide for Wolvesbayne it's about some poor soul bitten by a werewolf and then said soul gets dragged in to a war between vampire factions, so, yeah, I don't think it's a stretch to assume there will be werewolves in the movie. *grin*

I don't think it's possible for a movie to scare me anymore, either (except in the sense that it's scary to think people liked nuTrek, or something like that).

*evil grin* I must terrify you then since I actually liked NuTrek. Yes, it was a little more Star Warsian then Star Trekian, but I liked it anyway.
(Then again I am one of those crazy people who does like Star Wars and Star Trek both, though admittedly I would prefer the next movies in the NuTrek series to not borrow so much (or at least so obviously) from Star Wars, but otherwise...)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#16 Post by PhoenixHope » October 24th, 2011, 10:33 pm

So, I finally watched Wolvesbayne last night after Once Upon A Time (which I'm not gonna call great yet, but I have to say this show had the best pilot of the season - at least among the pilots I watched, so I will be watching again next week - it was a little slow in places, but otherwise pretty dog-gone good), and while I can't say I loved Wolvesbayne I can say it is one of the best of the movies I've recently watched (better then Wrong Turn 3, Toolbox Murders, Timber Falls, and FearDotCom, though to be fair I still have NOT watched Wrong Turn 3 all the way through), so I wouldn't call it the best of the best or anything, but at least neither the story nor characters annoyed me in this one, and after wanting to jump in to a few movies and start killing the characters myself Wolvesbayne was a nice change/move away from that.

I'm almost tempted to say it was better then My Bloody Valentine, Never Cry Werewolf, and House of Bones simply because there was no eye gore at all in Wolvesbane (of course there was no eye gore in Never Cry Werewolf either), but I believe I liked the overall story My Bloody Valentine, Never Cry Werewolf, and House of Bones was telling more then I liked the overall story Wolvesbayne was telling. Though again, to be fair, My Bloody Valentine wasn't about much more then killing characters violently, and there was a few plotty things that didn't exactly make the sense, and Wolvesbayne didn't have those issues, but in my gut I just liked My Bloody Valentine better.

Tonight, unless I get distracted by something shinny (or actually get off my ass and do the laundry that needs doing), it's Chain Letter for me, or finally finishing Wrong Turn 3, but I'm betting I'll go with washing clothes or Chain Letter.

RJDiogenes

#17 Post by RJDiogenes » October 24th, 2011, 11:57 pm

It's bad enough that nuTrek is Star Wars lite, but it's mainly that it was written on the level of an Asylum movie. Y'know, stuff like Spock sentencing Kirk to death on an ice planet instead of confining him to quarters, that sort of thing. Plus, I hate reboots. Anyway....

Wolvesbayne sounds kind of like an Underworld rip off now, with Werewolves and Vampires at war. Still, I like Werewolves so I'll consider getting it....

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#18 Post by PhoenixHope » October 25th, 2011, 12:54 am

Well, if it helps it didn't feel like an Underworld rip-off to me. But that could be because Underworld was fantastic, and while Wolvesbayne was not bad it wasn't fantastic either.

No, seriously, while I can see how they might look the same (on paper or in 0s and 1s as the case may be here) they don't really play out the same at all. Plus Wolvesbayne does focus more on the wolves then the vampires, where Underworld focused more on the vampires. Though it's clear when watching that Wolvesbayne did not have the budget of Underworld.

But anyway, yeah, while there are some similarities Wolvesbayne does not come off looking/feeling like Underworld lite.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#19 Post by PhoenixHope » October 25th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Well, I shoulda went with laundry last night, instead I watched Chain Letter. I mean it started out okay, but by the end I was left feeling like I'd wasted my damn time. I mean most movies of this type have paper thin plots, but this one didn't even live up to that low standard, because at the end nothing was answered, so basically this movie is just for people who like watching graphic killing, and even when I'm in the mood for that I do need a little more.

RJDiogenes

#20 Post by RJDiogenes » October 25th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I looked up Wolvesbayne and it does sound kind of interesting. Also interesting is that Christy Romano Carlson is in it-- I'm having a hard time imagining Kim Possible in a Werewolf movie. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#21 Post by PhoenixHope » October 28th, 2011, 12:52 am

Okay, I got curious, because Chain Letter just seemed so much worse then most movies of this type, so I decided to look it up online, and while the movie would probably still watch like an overly gory mess if Wikipedia is correct (and it usually is when it comes to movies) then the TV version I watched hacked out important end details that would've explained things a bit better. Because according to Wikipedia the murderer and several other things that left me thinking this movie was written by a hack are actually revealed, so if I hadn't watched a hacked version I might've at least enjoyed the movie slightly more.

And, yeah, I get it TV hacks movies for TV, but if Wikipedia is right then Chain Letter was hacked a lot more then most movies are.

RJDiogenes

#22 Post by RJDiogenes » October 30th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Yeah, I hate it when they hack stuff up. I want to see the full version.

Well, today begins my Halloween Marathon. I think I'll be watching Trick r Treat later on. That's a good one. 8)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#23 Post by PhoenixHope » September 6th, 2012, 8:37 pm

So, I've been watching movies again (what can I say? It's that time of the year) and instead of starting yet another new thread I just decided to come back to this one.

Possibly because I STILL haven't rewatched Wrong Turn 3. Yep, that movie is still sitting on my DVR waiting for me, and I might finally get around to watching it now (almost a year later), because this time around there's a Wrong Turn 4 airing, so I'll probably watch Wrong Turn 3 before watching Wrong Turn 4.

Anyway, first up was a movie called Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. To be honest, based on the title alone I had mostly been avoiding this movie because I was expecting an unrelenting cheesefest. So, naturally, it ended up being one of my favs from my recent movie-fest, though there is cheese to be found in this movie it isn't the total cheesefest I expected.
(Also, sadly, I did not know that this movie is yet another one that started life as a book series. I didn't find this out until yesterday when I was online looking to see if there was another movie in this series.)

Next up was Stake Land, and you'd think I'd have loved this one, for two things if nothing else, and admittedly I did like those things. *coughs* Anyway, first this is one of those movies that has a certain built-in believability on how governments might fail in zombieland, and doesn't have just a small group of humans left. One part of that is that in this movies the zombies are as much vampire and they are zombie, which means they are probably a bit tougher then the plain ol' walking dead. And after the fall (so to speak) the good ol' US of A has been divided into territories among the survivors - some are good, some obviously are not, and it makes sense that the ones that are not tend to be the largest group of survivors. Good stuff, right? Buttons should have been pushed, but sadly no.

The biggest problem with this movie is the fact that the main characters are so very horribly boring, so despite the other good things about this movie the boring nature of the characters brings it down. Mister was the type of character that should've been interesting (an even more twisted John Winchester type), but somehow this movie managed to twist that character into something bland. The kid he saves (who then joins him) is even more unrelenting boring. Next is another character that shoulda been interesting - the "raped" sister - but this movie clearly doesn't allow that shit, and so also makes her as boring as possible. However, at least one or two of the chracters they picked up along the way wasn't completely boring, but those somewhat more interesting characters didn't last long in this movie.

So this is one of those movies that shoulda entered my top tier, because the one thing I do tend to dislike about zombie movies is how all but a few humans actually survive, but because of the bland nature of almost all the living characters this movie managed to miss that mark entirely. However, I'll grant that this is probably the most realistic zombie movie I've come across to date, because I suppose actual survivors in such a situation would probably come across/behave that way.

Then comes Dracula 3000 which I must sadly confess I like better then Stake Land and that's just wrong on so many levels that I can't even. Seriously this is where I started wondering about my sanity. Basically this is Dracula in space, so you can imagine how good that makes everything. Just in case you missed it that previous sentence was sarcasm, because there's just some classic villians that should not make the jump to space. Okay, there's probably no classic villain that should make the jump to space.

The difference (and the only reason I can figure for my liking this one better then Stake Land) is the fact that I liked most (but not all) of the characters in this movie. But I also liked the twist... Okay, most movies that have a Van Helsing off-spring have said off-spring just automatically being awesome when it comes to slaying vampires even if they've never encountered a vampire before, and this movie doesn't do that. The Van Helsing off-spring here finds himself seriously out-matched, and that just worked for me.

However, this movie is almost entirely cheese, so don't go in expecting greatness, because this movie doesn't even rate "fair" let alone great. But the biggest flaw in this movie is the fact that Dracula wants to get back to earth, but every crew he encounters he kills before they can get him back to earth, and in my head Dracula would be smarter then that. He might disappear one or two humans because clearly he'd be hungry after all that time, but then he'd let the rest of them get on with the getting him back to earth instead of just attacking the whole damn crew.

Next comes True Bloodthirst which also has a Van Helsing off-spring, who starts out as a fairly good vampire hunter, but by the end he's all twisted up, and this movie does it all (in my opinion) in a much better way then Dracula 3000, though mostly because the Van Helsing off-spring in Dracula 3000 barely gets any screen time after realizing his heritage. In this movie the Van Helsing off-spring knows all about it before the movie starts.

Okay, while I love True Blood I have to admit this movie is a more realistic take on vampires suddenly revealing themselves to humans in a bold effort to try and live peacefully along side them. I also liked the tidbit presented here that that's why Rome burned way back - the humans would rather burn their empire then allow vampires among them. Yes, True Blood shows some bumps along the way, but for the most part it (to me) feels that vampires was simply accepted too easily.

However, it was late when I started watching this one, and after the first five minutes I figured this would be the traditional slash and burn of all vampires with humans proven correct in the end, so I turned it off and went to bed - as I said it was late and I was tired - so boy was I suprised when that wasn't at all what happened (and I love it for that), because by the end of this movie the Van Helsing off-spring (and the audience as well) is forced to question everything he thinks he knows about good, evil, and what a vampire really is.

Finally, I watched Daybreakers and I honestly don't know what I was expecting from this movie, but I can tell you what the movie actually presented wasn't it. Now I'll grant it wasn't a bad movie, and yes some of the characters was boring here, but not all of them. However, this movie just failed to punch my ticket in any way. I mean there was some interesting stuff presented here, but like I say this movie just failed to push my buttons in any real way. Seriously, even the vampires being cured here totally failed to punch my pet peeve button, and I've never had that happen before. Generally even in a sucky movie I'll get all worked up about vampires (werewolves/whatever) being cured, but not here - I just sighed and moved on.

RJDiogenes

#24 Post by RJDiogenes » September 6th, 2012, 11:41 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:Okay, there's probably no classic villain that should make the jump to space.

Star Trek did pretty well with Jack the Ripper. :D

The only ones of theses movies that I've seen are Daybreakers and maybe True Bloodlust-- did you mean True Bloodthirst? If so, I saw it and found it pretty terrible. There was a lot of posing and quips and camera drama as if they thought they were creating a Summer blockbuster, but it all fell flat. I thought that Daybreakers had some good ideas, but was very boring-- it was trying too hard to be a "serious" movie. I kind of felt sorry for that one, because it could have been good.

I've been kind of tempted to watch Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. It looks kind of interesting, but it was only PG-13, which is a bad sign for a Horror movie. Maybe I'll give it a try. I don't think I've heard of any of the others, but Dracula 3000 sounds like my kind of B-Movie. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#25 Post by PhoenixHope » September 7th, 2012, 3:17 am

Oops, you are entirely correct (I had True Blood on the brain apparently) the movie is actually titled True Bloodthirst. And your also right that the movie had some delusions of grandeur that it couldn't live up to, but I didn't think it was terrible. Sure, some of the actors could've been better (and also in several places it would have been nice if the writing had been stronger), but mostly there was just more here that I liked then disliked.

As for Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant don't go in expecting to be scared (you won't be - at all) just go in expecting a fun little movie that might actually be better off as a teen television series (along the lines of The Vampire Diaries just without the romance angle) and you shouldn't hate it. Though I suppose it's also a little along the lines of Never Cry Werewolf (but again without the romance angle and also) just without you know an actual werewolf, though there is "wolfman."

As for Dracula 3000... Well, it's one of those movies that isn't ever gonna make anyone's classic movie list, but as I said I didn't hate it.