Songs of the Piper

The place to discuss yogurt and other topics of culture or even create some of your own!

Moderator: RJDiogenes

ghost07

Songs of the Piper

#1 Post by ghost07 » October 18th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I thought maybe if I put this in here, I could get it moving. Yes, it is a "work in progress" but I'm so stuck and need a bit of motivation... :lol:

The world was a desert of swirling grey ash. There was no sunlight, no water, only a slow-moving sludge where once had been rivers, and jagged mounds of slag where once had been forests and mountains. There was noone left to remember how it had happened, whether it had been a terrible war or a natural disaster.

The small group of survivors stumbled through the choking grey desert carrying the few children still alive, and struggling with each labored breath. There was no hope...Hope had died with the world, and now their children were nearly gone.

Someone pointed. Far ahead of them there had appeared a strange greenish glow. Closer it came and closer still until they were able to make out the figure of a man within the glow, dressed in the green of new growth, shining with health and moving within a bubble. He extended the bubble to include the travelers and they suddenly found they were able to breathe easily. He carried a pipe, and on it he played a song that filled them with strength and compelled them to follow .

The Piper led them through withered black stumps that had once been forest and over ribbons of grey sludge that long ago had been free flowing rivers of clean water. He led them through the darkness and ash of the world until they reached the wall.

He piped a stronger melody, and led them up the wall of the world. Higher and higher they climbed, slipping in the fine ash, and scrambling over pieces of melted slag.. At last they reached a narrow ledge, crumpling exhausted to their knees.

The Piper piped another tune and there appeared an opening in the wall of the world. The people struggled to their feet and fell into a Red Darkness. The door closed, sealing them away from their dying world forever and they slept deeply.

The people woke to breathe clean air in the Red Darkness. The Piper gave them real food and real water and they rested awhile. Out of the silence came a sound to frighten them; the Piper smiled and reassured them...it was only the heartbeat of the world. He led them down into the Red Darkness until the sound was very faint, and only felt. They stepped out of the tunnel and into endless night. The Piper played a song of rest and the people sat in ebony silence.

He played a song of light and the notes spun out into the black like sparks from a fire. Faster and faster they spun until they became the light of day and the people could see a barren, endless cavern all around them. It had been so long since they had seen such brightness that they covered their eyes with their hands and cried out in fear. The Piper played a song of joy and the notes spread a carpet of green grass across the cave; as he continued to play they became flowers and trees and bushes, and a lake of sparkling clean water.

He played a song of love and birds of bright colors appeared, each with his own song to sing as they flew merrily into their new world. Furry animals danced off into the brightness of the day. He played a song of laughter and the notes skipped out over the lake to become silvery fish to feed the people.

The day grew weary and faded into darkness. The Piper played a gentler song of light and the notes spun faster and faster until they split into the two moons of the belly of the world and they sang the people to sleep.

When the day returned, the Piper played a song of awakening for the people. He fed them with a strengthening song and led them to a field near the lake. There he played a song of life and the people watched the notes dance away and burrow into the earth. A song of growth made corn grow, and beans and berries and apples. Then he played a song of renewal, so seeds would fall and more would grow. And because all things need balance, he played a song of sorrow so the sky would weep and renew the green grass. He played a song of death, because all that lives must also die; those notes sank into the earth to await their time.

He played a special song for the children and they grew strong enough to run and laugh and play as children aught. And the day grew weary and the two moons sang the people to sleep. When the day returned, the Piper played a new song and the notes spun into the TEACHERS, a young man and a young woman with hair and eyes as golden as their own.

The girl sang a song to the forest and the branches of the trees wove themselves into homes for the people. She sang to a field of strange white flowers and they spun themselves into weavers cloth so the people could fashion clothing. Then she smiled at her partner.

He sang in a deeper voice, all the songs of healing and the songs of good work. When they were done, they looked to the Piper. He told the people the Teachers would stay awhile to teach them the laws of this world. He sent a song of protection out over the world so the people would be safe, and left them to their lives.

The day grew weary and the people went into their homes to sleep. Over the next few months, the people learned from the Teachers about First season, the season of growth, Second Season...season of the harvest, and Third Season, when the earth slept for a time. The women were taught the song of the white flowers so they would always have cloth and the men were taught the song of the fire so they could cook the fish and be warm. To a few special people were taught the songs of Healing to help all. The Teachers showed the people how to catch and cook the fish and how to care for all the other life in their self-contained world. They were forbidden to kill and eat anything but the fish.

Then they told the people that when they reached the age of thirty-five, they must leave to follow the Red Darkness and Walk with the Piper. Only this way would there be enough food for all. When they were finished, the Teachers took the Old Ones and left, never to return. The exit was marked and the people could now live their lives as they wished.

The leave-taking of those who must Walk With the Piper became a ceremony and a celebration. The young were taught to accept, without question, all they were told. So passed five hundred generations. The people prospered and grew strong. Their arrival in the belly of the world became legend and the world outside was forgotten. They worshipped the Piper who had given them their home.

...................Maybe forever was too much to ask.
Where there is life, there is hope

RJDiogenes

Re: Songs of the Piper

#2 Post by RJDiogenes » October 18th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Interesting. The Red Darkness is reminiscent of the Garden of Eden and the Teachers reminiscent of Adam and Eve, so this could be a new story of Genesis, with some elements twisted around (since it is created from the destruction of a previous world. The prohibition against eating anything but fish also reminds me of the Garden of Eden. The god figure of the Piper, though, reminds me of Kokopelli of American Indian mythology; and so does that fact that the people come through from another world, now that I think of it. Perhaps going forward you could combine other elements of American Indian mythology with Christianity and tell the story of a new "Bible" outlining the creation of a new world from the destruction of this one, with familiar elements used in different ways. This could be the latest attempt at the creation of a world, with each previous one ending in tragedy.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

ghost07

#3 Post by ghost07 » October 19th, 2011, 2:15 am

Before you mentioned the similarities here, I never saw what you saw.Kokopelli played some sort of pipe, didn't he; and coming from another world, you're referring to the Anasazi, right?

I was thinking of this as a prologue, and moving the story into their future, with someone ,as a misfit, leaving the group to find the Piper.

I'm going to have to think about this.

Thanks, RJ.

RJDiogenes

#4 Post by RJDiogenes » October 19th, 2011, 11:46 pm

ghost07 wrote:Before you mentioned the similarities here, I never saw what you saw.Kokopelli played some sort of pipe, didn't he; and coming from another world, you're referring to the Anasazi, right?

A whole bunch of American Indian cultures had origin stories about being brought from another world or coming up from underground. And Kokopelli did indeed play a pipe; here he is.

I was thinking of this as a prologue, and moving the story into their future, with someone, as a misfit, leaving the group to find the Piper.

That's a good idea. It's consistent with the idea of a reworked mythology or religion. Instead of a Jesus figure sent here by a god, an outsider goes to find god and bring him back.

Thanks, RJ.

You're welcome. :)

ghost07

#5 Post by ghost07 » October 22nd, 2011, 4:32 pm

Rio dropped the bit of wood he was carving and sighed. Just one more way I'm different, he thought. I'm the only person in the world with dark hair and eyes instead of golden hair and blue eyes. He was restless, wanting desperately to leave the world and DO...SOMEthing; he wasn't sure what exactly, but SOMEthing...maybe explore the Red Darkness, maybe find out WHAT the Piper really was. He just didn't believe he was a god...and that was half the reason he was always in trouble with the Elders; he questioned everything; he couldn't seem to stop himself.

Then there were the carvings. He carved things that had never existed; birds and animals that nobody had ever seen before. He picked up his current carving again, examining it carefully. The Elders called it an abomination; it didn't exist in their world. It was a cat; though he imagined it to be as big as a man, with stripes on its body. He had carved the stripes right into the wood. A fantastic creature, just...non-existant in the world...and anything the Elders couldn't name was an abomination in their eyes. Anything useless was forbidden, just as forbidden as leaving the world by the Old Ones Gate before your time.

His thoughts wandered again to the Gate. Everyone knew where it was, but you weren't allowed to go through until the end of your life, until you could count thirty-five triples. He sighed again. By that time, he'd be too old to search. Everyone said that the Old Ones just walked into the Red Darkness and died. There was nothing past the Gate; no food, no water, nothing to sustain life...only death.

The boy was fifteen triples old now, and he was sure that, if he took provisions, he could survive most anything...and who knows, maybe he would find others like himself, people wit dark hair and dark eyes, people with a restless spirit. If he existed, there MUST be others! Unless...he took an uneasy breath...unless the Elders destroyed them as they were born. But if that were true, why hadn't they killed him?

He didn't remember any parents; where had he really come from? He lived with Nylor, the Healer; she had always maintained that she found the infant just inside the Gate, that the Piper must have left him in their care. No one dared dispute her, but the Elders disapproved of her taking him in. They had made their disapproval felt, too, over the years. Nylor had protected him all his life, but she was old now; soon, she would Walk With The Piper, and he would be on his own. He knew that, once she was gone, the Elders would make his life a misery; unacceptable as he was. He would virtually be everyone's slave. He simply HAD to leave, to explore the ways beyond the Gate; it was just that he couldn't, not while Nylor lived. She meant too much too him, she was the only person alive who cared about him. She admired his carvings, told him he was special, and good. And now, she would be gone.

He pocketed his carving and stood up. No! He decided that he wasn't going to stay after she had gone. He'd have to be careful, though; if the Elders caught him trying to leave, they'd imprison him. He would have to hide some food and water; he thought he should have a little time before a new Healer took over the house.

Feeling a little better, Rio started walking home, making his plans carefully.

Nylor looked up from her washing and smiled. There was Rio in the distance. The boy was easy to spot, the only dark head in a world of golden hair. She so loved that boy. She had never told the Elders how she had found him...or where, for that matter. How she had been picking healing plants near the Gate and heard the squalling babe. How she had slipped into the Red Darkness and followed the sound, until she had found the little family; the mother dead, the father dying, and one tiny baby, alive and screaming out his sorrow. She had never seen ANYone with such dark hair and eyes before. With his last strength, the man handed her the baby, begging her with those so dark eyes to take him in...and she had...and never regretted it for a moment. She'd had to lie to the Elders, told them he was inside the Gate, told them he'd been left by the Piper for her. Otherwise, they would have killed him. The unfamiliar wasn't allowed here.

For a moment, she frowned. What would they do to him when she was gone? In two days, she had to Walk With the Piper, he would be alone. The new Healer wouldn't tolerate him, and the Elders definitely didn't like the boy. He would have no one to speak for him, no protection at all. Somehow, she had to protect the child...but HOW?

The boy entered the only home he had ever known, and Nylor set a meal before him. She watched him carefully, wondering if that was a look of determination in his dark eyes. Had he made a decision? Suddenly, she just knew. The Healer carefully closed the door and sat beside him. They would have to plan this carefully. He could not get caught.

Rio looked at her, curious, wondering what complaint the Elders had made now. His eyes widened as she started to speak, finally understanding what she was saying to him. They talked far into the night, and he felt relieved he would have help. The next night, they secretly carried a backpack of supplies to a cave only Nylor knew about. He would slip away from the ceremonies the next evening, and hide. He would have to be very careful that no one saw him or could trace him back to this cave. Then, when both moons had set, and ONly then, could he try for the Gate and slip through. No one would expect him to do that, they would think he was mourning her someplace inside the world. They might allow him a day to mourn in private, but then, the hunt would be on. By the time anyone thought of the Gate, he would be long gone.

Daylight arrived and Nylor went to her last day of duty while Rio wandered down towards the lake. He would go fishing. Everything must seem normal. No one could suspect him.

RJDiogenes

#6 Post by RJDiogenes » October 23rd, 2011, 9:00 pm

Nice. This continues the feeling of a new folklore very well. Rio seems to be a new twist on Moses, and I'm wondering if you gave him a name that means river for that reason.

ghost07

#7 Post by ghost07 » October 24th, 2011, 3:38 am

:lol: I'm not that deep a thinker...I gave him that name because it was short and I liked the sound. I didn't even know it HAD a meaning :lol:

curiousa2z

#8 Post by curiousa2z » October 24th, 2011, 8:10 pm

It;s great you have this project to work on Ghost - I keep starting stories, then get bored and abandon them....
SHINY!

RJDiogenes

#9 Post by RJDiogenes » October 24th, 2011, 11:34 pm

^^ I have so many WIP that it's not even funny. :cry:

ghost07 wrote: :lol: I'm not that deep a thinker...I gave him that name because it was short and I liked the sound. I didn't even know it HAD a meaning :lol:

Heh. You must be tapping into the collective unconscious where folklore comes from then. This is a pretty solid narrative so far. :D