So, let me tell you about my week! I lived it, you can...

The friendly forum for chat and perhaps a virtual coffee

Moderators: Duracell, KatyJane, Aurian

RJDiogenes

Re: So, let me tell you about my week! I lived it, you can...

#851 Post by RJDiogenes » March 24th, 2015, 11:07 pm

My Brother's 46 or so and has had a real hard time finding a job. He's been out of work for months. I'm sure it's at least partly due to age.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

Jim Gamma

#852 Post by Jim Gamma » March 25th, 2015, 6:16 am

Yeah, there's a sweet spot in a person's 30s where it's easier to get a job. Younger than that, you don't have enough experience; older and they wonder why you're changing jobs, you should be well into your career with no need for that sort of change, and you're too prone to health issues for companies to take the risk. :-(

RJDiogenes

#853 Post by RJDiogenes » March 25th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Yeah, age discrimination is a reality.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#854 Post by PhoenixHope » March 26th, 2015, 7:30 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:My Brother's 46 or so and has had a real hard time finding a job. He's been out of work for months. I'm sure it's at least partly due to age.
Yeah, I guess I should've said it can depend on what kind of work he's into. Tell him if he really needs to work (and has no major physical issues/problems) to go to the nearest fast-food place and apply. Now granted I applied to several myself and only got called/hired for one, but still fast-food places have a tremendous amount of turn-over and so they are almost always needing employees.
(And while I can't say for sure on ages - I know I've seen people that look older than me, a group which would include your brother, *grin* in just about every ff place in my area anyway.)

Gas stations might also be another good place to look, though based on my experience those places might be a bit crappier work than fast-food. Some places there's only one employee there and I'm assuming that means in addition to taking care of customers they have to do all kinds of other things. However, again I see more than a few older folks (including myself in this group) working in those type places.

ANYWAY, I finally got the police report on my little accident, and I still don't know - I think it's "no fault," because the report basically just confirmed everything me and the other lady told the cop and the video backed up our stories (our cars starting moving at the same time), but no where on the report does it actually say "no fault." On the other hand, based on the report it doesn't look like it was my fault, so yay!

Oh and in case anyone is interested I'm still not hating the new job (I won't say loving/liking because it's still a job and not exactly an easy one) and as a general rule it's not really any harder than my previous. Although yesterday I did have my first real fuck up, but it's not my fault people in my area decide when it's the least bit warm they all want to leave their houses and stop in to eat at the same damn time. Holy shit - while I can do more than one thing at a time I'm still new at this! I mean, I've been cooking most of my life, but I still have less than a week training with new equipment and learning how everything works and where everything is. DAMN! On the other hand, I didn't get yelled at or anything I'm just mostly mad at myself.
(And also I wasn't the only one who messed up, and the other is not a newbie, so I understand it does happen I'd just wanted to not mess up until I'd proved myself. *sigh*)
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#855 Post by RJDiogenes » March 26th, 2015, 11:09 pm

^^ Yeah, it happens to everyone. Don't worry about it. :)

It's funny you should mention fast food for my Brother. One of the ways he's been occupying his time while unemployed is learning how to cook. He's always posting pictures of his creations on Facebook. :lol:

So what do you do with that police report? Submit it to your insurance company?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#856 Post by PhoenixHope » March 27th, 2015, 12:04 am

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ Yeah, it happens to everyone. Don't worry about it. :)
I sincerely hope this is the case, because today the manager at my old place figured out where I'd gone. Now I don't think he'd call and bad-mouth me -- the owner(s) maybe/probably but not the manager. Still I'm a wee bit worried about him telling them and then them going all bad-mouthy.
(Which would just bite them on the ass, but I'm not sure they've got much sense anyway. But seriously yes I've now quit that job, but if they got me fired from my new one that would just screw themselves because I would still be able to draw unemployment (though I might have to re-file) and it would come from them not the new one. But after they've done me so dirty who the hell knows what they might do/say.)
RJDiogenes wrote:It's funny you should mention fast food for my Brother. One of the ways he's been occupying his time while unemployed is learning how to cook. He's always posting pictures of his creations on Facebook. :lol:
To be fair, I tend to forget cooking is for some weird reason considered a female thing - in my family it's my dad who's actually considered the best cook. And in many restaurants and fast-food places if you look in the kitchens there tend to be a lot of dudes there.

But something I didn't mention -- if you're brother is "over-qualified" then he might have trouble getting even a fast-food job. *sigh* I ran into that right out of college - no experience for what I went to college for but was over-qualified for jobs that didn't demand experience. Sometimes it really will seem like you simply cannot win.
RJDiogenes wrote:So what do you do with that police report? Submit it to your insurance company?
Will first they charged me five dollars for a copy of said report, so I only got the one copy, because DAMN! Then, yes, I took it straight the insurance office (which is in another town, but only about 10 miles away from the police office where I picked up the report) and the lady asked if I had a personal copy and I said "no, they charged me five for this copy so I didn't ask for another." She made a copy for me and then asked if I had a quote for repairs on my car. Well, no, a) I wasn't really gonna worry about that until after getting the report, because if I have to pay myself it ain't getting repaired (I did not say that), and b) right after the "accident" I found myself in the middle of changing jobs (which I did say) and simply haven't had time, which is mostly the truth.

Now I'm supposed to be waiting on a call from someone called an adjuster, but since I'm reasonably sure it's now after business hours I expect no call today, and I'll be at work tomorrow (so of course that'll be when I get the call) unless I get lucky and the adjuster calls before I go in.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#857 Post by PhoenixHope » March 28th, 2015, 7:56 pm

PS - I found out the other day that my new job does give yearly raises - not big ones (obviously, but a raise is a raise and it's WAY more than my previous job ever did). But if I work there three years then I'll be making as much there as I was in my previous job. So yay!
(In an interesting twist I was offered yet another job this week, but it wasn't for one I'd actually applied. Basically, a few months ago I asked if they was hiring and the answer was no then two days ago (I think) I was in there and knew the lady working and she said if I applied I'd more than likely get hired, because the business in question had recently been sold to new owners and the new ones unlike the old ones was open to actually hiring people. Was told that it basically took an act of God to get hired under the old owners.)

So now I know if I ever end up deciding to leave my new job - do it in the spring. Apparently I just look good to potential employers in the spring.

PPS - Still no call from any adjuster. And unless the schedule has changed I'll have a big shift at my new job on Monday so it'll at least be Tuesday before I can try and get in touch with Mr./Miss. Adjuster.

RJDiogenes

#858 Post by RJDiogenes » March 28th, 2015, 9:20 pm

It's unlikely I'll be at my current job long enough to make what I made at my last one, unless I somehow get promoted to a higher-graded position (I've applied for such twice and got beat out each time).
PhoenixHope wrote:But after they've done me so dirty who the hell knows what they might do/say.)
I think if they did that they would just make themselves look bad.
To be fair, I tend to forget cooking is for some weird reason considered a female thing - in my family it's my dad who's actually considered the best cook. And in many restaurants and fast-food places if you look in the kitchens there tend to be a lot of dudes there.
Is it still considered a female thing? Even in my family, my Father used to do a lot of the cooking. And my other Brother, the younger of the two, is really a great cook-- with him it's a hobby, bordering on obsession.
But something I didn't mention -- if you're brother is "over-qualified" then he might have trouble getting even a fast-food job.
He ran into that at least once. And another friend of mine who has been out of work for about as long as him keeps running into it-- and she's ten years older than me. :(
Now I'm supposed to be waiting on a call from someone called an adjuster, but since I'm reasonably sure it's now after business hours I expect no call today, and I'll be at work tomorrow (so of course that'll be when I get the call) unless I get lucky and the adjuster calls before I go in.
Sounds like the person who will set a limit on how much you can be reimbursed.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#859 Post by PhoenixHope » March 30th, 2015, 9:47 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I think if they did that they would just make themselves look bad.
Yes, but they've done a few other things that sometimes didn't make much sense. But since I'm scheduled for five days this week I'm gonna guess that if they did my new peeps just didn't pay attention.

Anyway, I'm back - not that anyone probably noticed I was gone, but yesterday morning AOL wouldn't connect to the internet, but I had to go in early not just for work but a mandatory meeting so I didn't pay much attention.

And to be honest by the time I got off from work yesterday one of my "headaches" had kicked in and I just didn't feel like doing anything but going to bed. Still I did some trouble-shooting and tracked the problem down to my modem, so that didn't help, because I didn't have a spare modem.

Anyway, long story short I unplugged the modem planning to use one of my very few days off this week to make a 100 mile round trip to get another modem. Then just after getting to work this morning it dawned on me that because the way I have things set up my landline phone won't work without the modem plugged in so when I got home today I plugged it back up and then basically just for shits and giggles decided to try connecting to the internet and don't ask me why, but it's working now.

So now I'm crossing fingers that it'll continue working now, because since I won't have to go tomorrow it'll be like Sunday before I'd have another chance to make the big ass trip for modem.

RJDiogenes

#860 Post by RJDiogenes » March 30th, 2015, 10:40 pm

You could probably just order it through Amazon. But maybe it wasn't your modem, maybe it was the Internet-- I was having issues with my Comcast storage yesterday and it seems to be better today.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#861 Post by PhoenixHope » March 31st, 2015, 7:14 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:You could probably just order it through Amazon.
Yeah, if I had internet access sure I could. But if I don't then it's around a 50 mile drive (and back) to the closest store that still sells modems.
RJDiogenes wrote:But maybe it wasn't your modem, maybe it was the Internet
Actually, I'm pretty sure (though not a 100%) that it was my modem, because I finally got a message that popped up (during the whole down-time) that said my modem was reporting an error.

And, to be honest, while I've had modems crap out on me before I think the problem this time was probably my cat.

Let me explain there's a wee bit of a gap between the place where modem is plugged into the PC and the wall and the cat just loves running through that gap (DAMN CAT - she also likes trying to sit on top of the PC which needs to be kept open for air flow so I can't even cover it with something else to keep her off it like I did with previous PC because that one had its air vents on the sides).

Now admittedly I checked to see that it was still plugged in Sunday (because once before she did knock the phone line out of the modem), but now I'm thinking she knocked it loose (but didn't unplug it) on one of her passes by, and so I should've probably done a better check before giving up, but as I believe I mentioned I was feeling quite crappy and no where near my best on Sunday.

PS - In a weird twist I got a text message today my previous job wants me to write a letter explaining why I quit. And honestly I'm not sure if I should go full on rant with said letter or just be really sarcastic by writing something along the lines of "when you cut me down to six hours that's sorta the universal sign that you want that employee gone, and while you raised me back up a little bit when I filed for unemployment it just wasn't enough and so I had to look for employment elsewhere." Which admittedly I'll probably say something along those lines, but right now I'm leaning toward something like that but maybe with a little less sarcasm.

RJDiogenes

#862 Post by RJDiogenes » March 31st, 2015, 10:35 pm

Yeah, probably best to take the high road so it doesn't come back to bite you. Weird that they're asking for that, though.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#863 Post by PhoenixHope » March 31st, 2015, 11:36 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Weird that they're asking for that, though.
Yeah, I thought that too. Although the guy asking for it is one of the big owners - not one of those that actually works in the store, and he said he wanted it for his records. Probably wants it because I had filed for unemployment and my guess is that he wants proof from my own hands that I quit for his records.
(Just like the food stamp office wants that paper I gave my previous employers almost a week ago wants for their records - I don't work there no more, but the food stamp office wants their confirmation of that in addition to my own - I was told today they are still waiting to get it back from the accountants. If I don't get it by the end of next week I'll report to the Food Stamp office that they are basically refusing to fill it out. At which point I honestly don't know what'll happen.)

However, it is the first time I've ever been asked to do something like this, but to be fair most times when I leave a job the employers know why and this time since I quit by text maybe they don't, cause to be fair most times I have tried to give at least a weeks notice and perhaps I've been grilled during that time.

But then again what the fuck did they expect when they cut me down from 30/40 hours a week to just over six hours and then pretty much refused to give me more than 16 even after I filed for unemployment?! I mean I'd think something like that would be universal. I mean seriously what would those of you posting from/living in other countries make of that? Serious question, because perhaps hours cutting as a sign an employer wants an employee to quit isn't quite as universal as I thought.

Perhaps they (my previous employers) really don't understand that when you extremely cut an employees hours that means you are saying you don't want them anymore (unless all employees hours are being cut at the same time - then that's lack of business and not personal against one) but you want said employee to quit because for whatever reason(s) you don't want to fire them. Honestly, I don't think they are so dense as not to realize that on their own, but as I've said for awhile now they've done lots of things that didn't really make sense/seem smart.

RJDiogenes

#864 Post by RJDiogenes » April 1st, 2015, 10:30 pm

How can they not understand that cutting somebody's hours by two thirds is leaving them without enough to live on? They had to know what the consequences would be.

huggle

#865 Post by huggle » April 3rd, 2015, 9:27 am

Precisely. And if they are stupid enough not to realize it, this is the chance to open their eyes. I'd phrase that letter not in an accusing style but very matter-of fact. That'd propably be more effective than something more emotional
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

Chatty

#866 Post by Chatty » April 3rd, 2015, 8:30 pm

Yeah. Sarcasm has its place, but not there. Though I do understand wanting to rip them a new one and ask how they thought you could live off of those kinds of hours.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#867 Post by PhoenixHope » April 3rd, 2015, 11:34 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:How can they not understand that cutting somebody's hours by two thirds is leaving them without enough to live on? They had to know what the consequences would be.
See that's what I think, but then I thought that perhaps maybe things worked differently outside of America, because in case it no longer goes without saying my former employers were not born and raised in America. So I was trying to give benefit of doubt.

Anyway, as for the sarcasm - I've wrote the letter and I used normal resignation letter protocols - other than the fact that I've already quit. But mostly I kept it factual (or at least I think I did) and even managed to say I'd miss the place and wished them all well.

However, my printer is apparently out of ink and I can't print the damn thing and right now can't afford a new cartridge and my printer does not like the refilled ones. So I'm gonna end up having to hand-write the damn thing or it'll be a month before I get it to them. And my impression is they want it right now, so hand-writing it is.

RJDiogenes

#868 Post by RJDiogenes » April 4th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Bummer. I don't suppose the library has a printer. Or a local Fed Ex or copy place.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#869 Post by PhoenixHope » April 5th, 2015, 8:16 pm

*shrugs* I don't really give a fuck and I'm certainly not going to go to an excessive amount of trouble (for me) over this. So sometime tonight I'll just pull out some paper and hand-write it so I can be done with it.

RJDiogenes

#870 Post by RJDiogenes » April 5th, 2015, 9:04 pm

That's true. It's only for their benefit, so who cares? :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#871 Post by PhoenixHope » April 7th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Okay, so I did get it typed. Basically, Monday I got a letter from the Unemployment Office, because I'd quit a job and had to go jump through some hoops. And I still think I got it wrong, because I think they had me reapply for benefits when I was trying to tell them that while I'm not quite yet full time at my new job I will be soon, because the only reason I ain't ft right now is because I'm in training, or rather because they hired several new people and so while everybody's training no ones getting lots and lots of hours. But I fully expect either this current week or next week I'll probably be at ft.

So anyway I'd hand-wrote the letter and so while I was over there I took a moment to type it up. Haven't mailed it yet though because I want to keep a copy for myself in case those lying bastards try to change it.

Now if you'll excuse me it's hot today so I'm a-gonna go sit in a refridgerator.

One of these days I'm gonna have a day off at my new job where I literally have nothing to do on said day off. Alas that won't happen next week either, because I had to deal with the Unemployment Office today next day off I'll need to finally get kitty to her yearly vet appointment.

RJDiogenes

#872 Post by RJDiogenes » April 7th, 2015, 10:01 pm

So they want to keep you on unemployment because you're not full time yet? That could be good news if you get another check or two from them.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#873 Post by PhoenixHope » April 7th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Maybe, I guess. But like my first full week there (which was officially my second week with them) I got about 20 hours though this past week (week three officially) I got just over 16, but that was due to weather. When it's raining and/or stormy people just don't go out to eat as much so my peeps didn't need as much kitchen help.

But that's what I say I expect this week I'll probably get just over 20 hours and I think the way it worked before the one week (out of three months) my previous job gave me twenty hours it kept me from getting unemployment for that week.

Though I suppose that just over 16 hour one might get me a little something, but I sorta expect (or maybe just hoping) that'll be the last time I'd be able to get any unemployment benefits.
(I'd rather not burn through all my unemployment, because you never know while things seem well at my new job it might not last and then I'd find myself in need of unemployment again but if I burn though it all right now I don't know that I'd be able to get more. I mean hopefully this job will take off hours-wise and I'll be a long-term employee and not need unemployment ever again, but you can never be entirely sure of these things and so I'd rather have some in reserve for honest hard times.)

RJDiogenes

#874 Post by RJDiogenes » April 8th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Good idea, as long as you're making enough to get by. As you say, you have to expect the unexpected.

huggle

#875 Post by huggle » April 10th, 2015, 1:37 pm

LOL expect the unexpected was a banner I once used on SDG3 :) Maybe it's still on the server somewhere.
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away