So, let me tell you about my week! I lived it, you can...

The friendly forum for chat and perhaps a virtual coffee

Moderators: Duracell, KatyJane, Aurian

RJDiogenes

Re: So, let me tell you about my week! I lived it, you can...

#926 Post by RJDiogenes » August 30th, 2015, 9:41 am

A little Summer vacation from the Internet, apparently. :D
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

Santaman
Administrators

#927 Post by Santaman » August 30th, 2015, 9:50 am

It should make no difference who you ISP is.. :shock:
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

huggle

#928 Post by huggle » August 30th, 2015, 10:22 am

welcome back :)
actually, a vacation from the internet can be rather pleasant. I indulge myself in at least one offline day per week =)
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#929 Post by PhoenixHope » August 30th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Santaman wrote:It should make no difference who you ISP is.. :shock:
You'd think that, but the first time I tried to log in on aol (before my previous one went forever dark) it was all basically "oh hell no!" I mean, okay, it didn't say that exactly, but it might as well have, because it noted I was trying to log on with a different isp and therefore demanded I answer security questions before granting me access - questions I no longer remembered the answers too. Because you see I've had those Hotmail accounts forever, and back when I first got on the internet I'd have trick answers to security questions because I'm basically an idiot.

However, since my previous isp hadn't gone dark then I used it to log onto Hotmail and at least change the email addy for my alt email, which had previously been the one for my going dark isp, but more than that I added my cell phone number as well. So like I say it should work now (though will probably have to text me a code number before allowing me to log on just to keep it "fun") so I just every time I think about checking my hotmails start to see tears in the baby Jesus eyes because even before that mess Hotmail had gotten pissy to load anyway and now it's like it wants to be a great big pain in the ass because easy who the hell wants that.

And also it's a cycle. Because it's been so long since I checked them I know they are overrun with SPAM and even without all the above crap I'd have a hard time generating the interest to check them now.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

Santaman
Administrators

#930 Post by Santaman » August 30th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Bloody M$....

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#931 Post by PhoenixHope » June 21st, 2016, 10:42 pm

THREAD RESURECTION
(Despite the promise to myself not to do it.)

So, some history on Tuesday May 31st my car decided to drop dead - it died and wouldn't start. It acted like it wanted to but the spark (for lack of a better word) just isn't there. And to be fair it's not like I couldn't tell something was wrong - for about a week now my car hasn't wanted to just idle it would instead just shut itself down. So awesome.

A week later my car was still boning me and in fact was actively laughing at me.

During that it was hooked up to TWO computers and neither said anything was wrong. *sigh* And it ran fine over the weekend, but that's because it was cooler. Basically what it is doing is after running and the motor and all the parts get warm (like cars do in the normal course of driving them) it no longer wants to run, but generally it will keep running until you stop then it dies on its own and then just won't start again for several hours (or until it cools back down).

UGH! Boned hard and with a vengeance by that car I am. However, Dad and friends spent a week-ish tinkering around with it - changed some parts and reconnected some unconnected air hoses and called it fixed, but I suspected otherwise, because I and apparently I alone could still hear the chuckles.

And today it decided it was done even just laughing at me. As mentioned it used to only die when in park - today it crapped out going down the road at forty/fifty MPH on my dad - I can't actually drive at the mo' (more on that in a bit), and so a friend had to tow it home today.

Awesome. So its dead in the water or at least dead in my driveway, but its no longer laughing at me at any rate, because it finally fucked up on someone else.

P.S. There's a printout from hooking it up to a computer that no one can read. *sigh*

PPS - In other crap news that I couldn't bring myself to mention before now because I was in the worst pain of my life and feeling like the biggest idiot on the planet. Not last Friday, but the Friday before last I ended up with mostly secend degree burns on all five fingers of my right (and primary) hand.

Words to live by - IF YOU ARE WORKING WITH A DEEP FRYER DO NOT TAKE YOUR ATTENTION OFF FOR EVEN A SECOND! Nobody (fine, almost nobody) wants deep fried human fingers for dinner. And seriously take it from someone who lives in chronic pain it was the worst pain I've ever experienced - morphine couldn't make it completely go away. MORPHINE! I mean it helped, but I still hurt. On the other hand it removed my other aches and pains while my hand recovered - that's how I know its getting better my normal pain is coming back.

And I still don't have a primary doctor AND my blood pressure of course sky-rocketed during the "event" but even now over a week later it is still elevated. Not to mention being off from work for two weeks (likely more - my work note is basically "off until further notice") and I may be a wee bit stressed at the moment. On the other hand sometime Sunday I did start feeling "normal" again, but on Monday at the Wound Care Center my BP was still elevated.

And now my poor left hand hurts from all this typing, so done for now. Except to say apparently I am in fact a teensy bit allergic to morphine, because shortly after the shot in the ER I ended up with a bunch of red dots on the back of my undamaged hand and even some scattered along the arm connected to my undamaged hand. Nothing major, but weird.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

Santaman
Administrators

#932 Post by Santaman » June 21st, 2016, 11:19 pm

*hugs* I hope things will improve soon, that was a lot of bad luck.. :shock:

RJDiogenes

#933 Post by RJDiogenes » June 22nd, 2016, 10:17 pm

Ouch! I'm so sorry. That sounds awful. :cry: Nice to know that it's starting to feel normal. Maybe in another week it will be okay. I hope you get to collect Worker's Comp or something while recovering. Man, I'm having sympathetic hand pain just thinking about it. :(
PhoenixHope wrote:P.S. There's a printout from hooking it up to a computer that no one can read. *sigh*
That sounds like we're getting into Stephen King territory. :unsure:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#934 Post by PhoenixHope » June 23rd, 2016, 12:34 am

Thanks, Santa, and to be fair things are improving just not as fast as I'd wish it. Okay, fine, I wish it hadn't happened to begin with.

Also, the case of the high blood pressure may be because the center I visit is like three floors up from ground level - I'm extremely NOT a fan of heights, which is why I could never ever live in a city, but I can usually deal somewhat okay, BUT in this case the waiting area has a very large floor to ceiling window (it like covers the whole damn hallway), so pulse and everything else is high after sitting in their waiting room. *sigh* And, of course, its easier to calm my pulse than blood pressure.

And, of course, I don't travel well and the center is about an hour away from me. Made more annoying is that I can't drive myself, and I can admit that I'm a bit of a control freak which leads to backseat (or at least passenger-seat) driving. And elevators - not a fan, but I can't find the damn stairs over there. UGH!
Man, I'm having sympathetic hand pain just thinking about it.
Well, if it helps it only hurts now when my hand (which is wrapped solidly) starts sweating - then there's a "nice" stinging sensation. Damn summer! My car and myself both would be better at the mo' if it was winter instead of boiling hot summer.

As for workers comp they are covering the medical expenses, but I don't know about anything else. Thankfully as long as I can get back to work around the middle of next month I might be okay. Not great, but okay-ish.

Still I don't know, because it still hasn't healed enough for them to do what they call a debreement (probably not spelled correctly) and even after that it'll probably be at least another week before I can return to work.

Re: The printout - it's in English, but it doesn't say exactly what's wrong, except some high voltage in some modvle (spelling error is not mine) and low battery voltage but testing reveals battery is good as well as something about scan being incomplete. Okay, it says more, but I'm wounded here and it might as well be Greek to me (along with those who actually fix cars for a living, go figure) and in my current position I can't even think of getting another car.

RJDiogenes

#935 Post by RJDiogenes » June 23rd, 2016, 10:23 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:Also, the case of the high blood pressure may be because the center I visit is like three floors up from ground level - I'm extremely NOT a fan of heights, which is why I could never ever live in a city, but I can usually deal somewhat okay, BUT in this case the waiting area has a very large floor to ceiling window (it like covers the whole damn hallway), so pulse and everything else is high after sitting in their waiting room. *sigh* And, of course, its easier to calm my pulse than blood pressure.
Yeah, my BP always goes up at the doctor's office, too. They attribute it to "White Coat Syndrome," but I think it's because they always send the most attractive nurses to test me. :D You should get one of those portable self testers at the drugstore and do it yourself at home. That will give you a better idea of what your normal range is.
As for workers comp they are covering the medical expenses, but I don't know about anything else. Thankfully as long as I can get back to work around the middle of next month I might be okay. Not great, but okay-ish.
If your job doesn't have any short-term disability, maybe you could contact Unemployment. There might be a way for you to collect while you're not able to work.
Still I don't know, because it still hasn't healed enough for them to do what they call a debreement (probably not spelled correctly) and even after that it'll probably be at least another week before I can return to work.
A debridement is when they take away bad tissue to make room for the good tissue (I worked in health care for a long time). That should make it feel much better.
Re: The printout - it's in English, but it doesn't say exactly what's wrong, except some high voltage in some modvle (spelling error is not mine) and low battery voltage but testing reveals battery is good as well as something about scan being incomplete. Okay, it says more, but I'm wounded here and it might as well be Greek to me (along with those who actually fix cars for a living, go figure) and in my current position I can't even think of getting another car.
That is weird. Maybe you should post on a car forum or something and get the car nerds to puzzle it out for you.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#936 Post by PhoenixHope » June 23rd, 2016, 11:27 pm

Yeah, I don't understand that, but somehow even older nurses are almost always cute. But at the wound care center I've got a couple (there are about four on my case) that would no doubt raise something for you. ;)
RJDiogenes wrote:A debridement is when they take away bad tissue to make room for the good tissue (I worked in health care for a long time). That should make it feel much better.
Yeah, I talked to someone at the store (one thing about this is the fact that my wrapped hand makes an interesting conversation piece - everyone asks about it - to a guy at McDonalds who informed me he'd also tried to deep fry his hand and the other) who told me her mother had burnt her hands/fingers and that she'd said the debridement totally helped.

Thankfully I'm starting to be able to use my hand again or at least I was able to use it long enough to sign some checks to pay some bills yesterday, but admittedly today my fingers feels stiff and a bit scabby under the bandage.

As far as the car my dad took it to a friend of a friend who actually repairs cars for a living and even that guy said he'd have to hook it up to his bigger computer whatever that means - though I assume at least in part that means his hand held hook up couldn't read it either.
(How this is going to be paid for I still have no idea, but at least it might actually be fixed when I'm finally able to get it back. And it has to be fixed before paying will be an issue.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#937 Post by PhoenixHope » June 24th, 2016, 5:56 pm

More good news and I guess one bit of potential "scary" news.

So, I had another appointment at the place with the big giant window of death this morning, but I took the book I'm reading and good news my BP was perfect this morning. So I'd say that confirms it - it is the big giant window of death that makes me pressure rise, but with something else to focus on it's fine.

The next is good and maybe not so good - I may end up needing some physical therapy for the fingers in my right hand before I can hope to return to work.

Good news is that because of different bandaging today I can (and am) using both hands to type this today. However, I was blaming the blisters and bandages for the stiffness, so today when they was unwrapped I starting trying to bend them, and they did bend some but not a lot - hence the different wrapping which is basically a glove instead of a mitten.

The good news is that before I left the office today I could touch ALL (pinky just barely, but it touched damn it) my fingers to my thumb. And now I can touch four of them to my palm, but the index finger is being stubborn, and I can't yet make a proper fist or bend any of them all the way - surprisingly my thumb (and my middle finger) is the closest to full normal movement.

Strength in said hand is, however, pretty much nil and I just had to switch back to one handed typing.

And I guess the best news is the exam reveled that none of the wounds are really deep. However, because of all this I'm now down to a once a week visit rather than the three times a week I have been going.

And since my trip takes me by the place where my car is I can see they haven't yet moved it which means they haven't started working on it yet so no bill before next week at least.

In other news it's for some reason hard to remember to hit the spacebar typing one handed. *grin*

RJDiogenes

#938 Post by RJDiogenes » June 24th, 2016, 10:14 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:Yeah, I don't understand that, but somehow even older nurses are almost always cute. But at the wound care center I've got a couple (there are about four on my case) that would no doubt raise something for you. ;)
:D
PhoenixHope wrote:More good news and I guess one bit of potential "scary" news.
Uh oh...
So, I had another appointment at the place with the big giant window of death this morning, but I took the book I'm reading and good news my BP was perfect this morning. So I'd say that confirms it - it is the big giant window of death that makes me pressure rise, but with something else to focus on it's fine.
Great. Mind over matter. :)
The next is good and maybe not so good - I may end up needing some physical therapy for the fingers in my right hand before I can hope to return to work.
Yeah, I guess that's not surprising.
The good news is that before I left the office today I could touch ALL (pinky just barely, but it touched damn it) my fingers to my thumb. And now I can touch four of them to my palm, but the index finger is being stubborn, and I can't yet make a proper fist or bend any of them all the way - surprisingly my thumb (and my middle finger) is the closest to full normal movement.
Ow, ow, ow. Man, you really got hurt bad. I'm so sorry. :cry:
And I guess the best news is the exam reveled that none of the wounds are really deep. However, because of all this I'm now down to a once a week visit rather than the three times a week I have been going.
That's good. At least things are improving quickly.
And since my trip takes me by the place where my car is I can see they haven't yet moved it which means they haven't started working on it yet so no bill before next week at least.
That's good. Since it's your dad's friend, maybe you'll get a break, especially if he knows you're out of work. Do you think there's any possibility of getting compensated for lost salary?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#939 Post by PhoenixHope » June 25th, 2016, 6:15 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Ow, ow, ow. Man, you really got hurt bad. I'm so sorry. :cry:
I did, and everyone seems surprised I'm taking it so well, which is weird to me, because I haven't felt like I'm taking it well at all, but crying/screaming will help nothing (nor would it make me feel better) but going for treatments and doing what I'm supposed to will. Don't get me wrong I do have "unhappy" moments, but on the whole I just want to be and get better and crying/screaming won't help with that.

*sigh* Sorry didn't mean to tangent on you - all I meant to say was yes the hurt is bad, but it could've been much much worse so even if it may not make sense to anyone else I'm grateful that it is what it is. Mostly now I'm just hoping no infection will set in and set me back, cause that might start the screaming, and I'm a wee bit afraid if it started it might not stop. Cause skin is starting to shed a bit (I'M NOT A BLOODY SNAKE!) and in some places under skin is very red and angry looking still.

And I think the movement is more because old lady is old and so having it bandaged and mostly immobile for over a week is more what's behind the trouble moving now rather than the burn itself.

(And, okay, fine I'm not using my right hand as much as I should today, but after changing dressing and seeing it I'm having some phantom pain - is the best way to describe it - its not actually hurting (okay one or two spots are hurting but the rest not as such), but it looks like it should be and so I find myself treating it as though it is hurting.)
Do you think there's any possibility of getting compensated for lost salary?
I should find out something for sure this week - if work company won't (though one of my nurses, a very nice and cute nurse around my age which qualifies her as an older nurse, truly believes they will) my nurse suggested looking into temp disability/unemployment. One I have an idea how to look into the other (temp disability) I have no idea where I'd even start, but I guess I need to figure it out.

RJDiogenes

#940 Post by RJDiogenes » June 25th, 2016, 11:26 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:I did, and everyone seems surprised I'm taking it so well, which is weird to me, because I haven't felt like I'm taking it well at all, but crying/screaming will help nothing (nor would it make me feel better) but going for treatments and doing what I'm supposed to will. Don't get me wrong I do have "unhappy" moments, but on the whole I just want to be and get better and crying/screaming won't help with that.

*sigh* Sorry didn't mean to tangent on you - all I meant to say was yes the hurt is bad, but it could've been much much worse so even if it may not make sense to anyone else I'm grateful that it is what it is. Mostly now I'm just hoping no infection will set in and set me back, cause that might start the screaming, and I'm a wee bit afraid if it started it might not stop. Cause skin is starting to shed a bit (I'M NOT A BLOODY SNAKE!) and in some places under skin is very red and angry looking still.
I think you are taking it very well and looking at it positively. You're focusing on getting better, and you will.
And I think the movement is more because old lady is old and so having it bandaged and mostly immobile for over a week is more what's behind the trouble moving now rather than the burn itself.
You're not that old. That kind of stiffness happens to anybody who is immobilized for that length of time.
I should find out something for sure this week - if work company won't (though one of my nurses, a very nice and cute nurse around my age which qualifies her as an older nurse, truly believes they will) my nurse suggested looking into temp disability/unemployment. One I have an idea how to look into the other (temp disability) I have no idea where I'd even start, but I guess I need to figure it out.
I'm not sure, either, but I think it would be through Social Security. You could probably get information by contacting the Unemployment Office.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#941 Post by PhoenixHope » June 26th, 2016, 8:51 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I'm not sure, either, but I think it would be through Social Security. You could probably get information by contacting the Unemployment Office.
Apparently I won't have to do all that - I knew there was an employee meeting at my place of employment this morning, so I knew the boss would be there.

Of course thing is I may not get anything until I return to work or at least am cleared to return to work. Okay, I didn't understand all of it, but apparently I have to be off so long before it kicks in or something like that, so if I'm off long enough it might kick in before I go back. Again I don't understand all of it.

Still I think I can make it work even if I don't get comped before returning to work. So I can now unpucker at least a little bit. *grin*

PS - Dad is getting impatient for car to be fixed, so I think he's planning to pay upfront, and me pay him back later or something.

Santaman
Administrators

#942 Post by Santaman » June 26th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Lets hope for the best in health, money and car issues. :christmas:

RJDiogenes

#943 Post by RJDiogenes » June 26th, 2016, 9:40 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:Of course thing is I may not get anything until I return to work or at least am cleared to return to work. Okay, I didn't understand all of it, but apparently I have to be off so long before it kicks in or something like that, so if I'm off long enough it might kick in before I go back. Again I don't understand all of it.
Makes sense. They'll probably ask for a doctor's note or something, too.
Still I think I can make it work even if I don't get comped before returning to work. So I can now unpucker at least a little bit. *grin*
:D
PS - Dad is getting impatient for car to be fixed, so I think he's planning to pay upfront, and me pay him back later or something.

That's cool. More good news.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#944 Post by PhoenixHope » June 27th, 2016, 1:09 am

Thanks, Santa - I'd hug you, but while strength (and mobility, though index and pinky remain somewhat stubborn) is returning a small amount of pressure is tending to start my digits hurting again. Nothing major just annoying.
RJDiogenes wrote:Makes sense. They'll probably ask for a doctor's note or something, too.
They've had that since the Wednesday after the event. I would've took the note in that Monday, but it only had me off for a week on that one and they basically told me I wasn't going back in a week, but they wanted to wait until it finally finished blistering so they could be sure of 2nd/3rd degree burns.
That's cool. More good news.
Yeah, I knew he was getting impatient when Saturday he asked if they'd called yet, and I was like; A; I can't drive it right now anyway, B; It's the weekend, C; I can't afford an extra bill right now, and D; I can't drive right now anyway, so rather the least of my concerns at the mo'.

Then today after driving me to my place of employment for my confab with the boss he drove by the place to see if the car had been moved since Friday - it had not been. But that clued me in to the impatience.

RJDiogenes

#945 Post by RJDiogenes » June 27th, 2016, 10:33 pm

Well, I see his point. He wants it to be ready for you when you need it. How'd the confab with the boss go?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#946 Post by PhoenixHope » June 29th, 2016, 2:45 am

Fine - it was mostly just him wanting to know if I would come back (because he understood that while a burn like this isn't my worst nightmare it was/is something I feared) and me wanting to make sure I'd be allowed to come back - fears or not I gotta have a job so I'll just have to suck it up. I know some companies don't want a person back after a workers comp thing.

RJDiogenes

#947 Post by RJDiogenes » June 29th, 2016, 10:21 pm

Cool. He sounds like a decent guy.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#948 Post by PhoenixHope » July 8th, 2016, 2:30 am

RJDiogenes wrote:Cool. He sounds like a decent guy.
He really is.

Anyway, today is three hundred and thirty six million since my incident -- Or in actual time instead of feels like time ending week four of my banishment from work.

Obviously an update for anyone who cares:

I had my weekly check up today and while much healing has started (aside from my index finger the angry doritos bag red has started fading in most cases to a mere violent pink but a bit of still redish in a few places) I actually still have about half a dozen blisters which haven't started "peeling" yet -- most around the nails especially my thumb, middle, and ring finger, but there's still some around all and about three biggish ones (two) on my middle finger and one on my ring finger and still a hold-out on my pinky finger.

And after dealing with a "everything hurts" period after a partial debridment last week (that period last about four days) my fingers feel almost normal again alas they still in most cases don't look almost normal again yet. And it wasn't so much that it was pain it was just everything was so overly sensitive.

Good news though movement is back without pain except in that pesky index finger and even that is fading - generally only going stiff overnight now.

So alas it doesn't look like I'll be going back to work on the eleventh as I'd originally hoped. And *looks around* they're on to me, I think. Who? My nurses - I still have no ETA for returning to work and have been firmly informed that it is gonna take as long as it's gonna take and I'm not going back before my digits are completely healed.
(But seriously it feels much better I'm doing almost all my normal things now, though admittedly holding/carrying heavy things is still a bit of an issue as well as a bit of sensitivity in the tip of my index with not much use. But still now that I'm feeling better I'm starting to feel really very bored.)

PS - The BP trick didn't work again last week, and this week I didn't even try, and wouldn't have mattered if I had, because we've gotten much rains and so I got over half-way to my appointment and had to turn around and almost come back home to get on the parkway (I hate parkway driving almost as much as I hate heights - maybe more) but I still got there on time, but I told them they needn't bother checking I could tell them everything was high without a test. They went ahead and checked anyway and learned not to doubt me!