Oversize buttons and strange 'headers'...

A whole forum for whining to the staff and for the staff to pass on important information.

Moderator: Duracell

trekkiedane

Oversize buttons and strange 'headers'...

#1 Post by trekkiedane » February 12th, 2013, 11:33 pm

...Is the best way I can describe how some pages here are rendered in my browsers.

Looks like ^that in Firefox, ie and Chrome.

[I'm having a sense of déjà vu atm; have I asked this before?]
Watch this space.

Santaman
Administrators

Re: Oversize buttons and strange 'headers'...

#2 Post by Santaman » February 12th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Its an error, the boss will fix it as soon he has the time.
""Revenge is a dish best served fried... deep fried!" (Alestorm)" (Alestorm.)
Cutthroat Coffee, The Pirate's Choice!

trekkiedane

#3 Post by trekkiedane » February 13th, 2013, 12:36 am

Cool, Thanks.
Watch this space.

huggle

#4 Post by huggle » February 13th, 2013, 7:29 am

but keep in mind that time is relative...

Welcome back!!!! *huggles trekkiedane* :love:
a hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

trekkiedane

#5 Post by trekkiedane » February 13th, 2013, 7:47 am

huggle wrote:but keep in mind that time is relative...

Yeah, I noticed something about e-mail notifications :lol:
Welcome back!!!! *huggles trekkiedane* :love:

Awww, thanks Image
Watch this space.

J. Allen

#6 Post by J. Allen » December 30th, 2013, 6:36 am

I'm getting this kind of error:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PST/-8.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PST/-8.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)

Has there been any luck on this? I mean, not to presume as I haven't visited in a long while, but this message takes up a lot of screen space, and it makes all the buttons and spaces go out of joint.

Until you can fix it, I believe there is an option to turn off phpBB debugging. Just a suggestion, of course.
Starscape BBS has merged with Wordforge! You can find us here: http://www.wordforge.net

Santaman
Administrators

#7 Post by Santaman » December 30th, 2013, 12:46 pm

I don't have server access anymore and the owner of the board seems to be busy.

huggle

#8 Post by huggle » December 30th, 2013, 5:16 pm

I believe that JA meant that you can switch off the debugging from the Admin control panel.
That would at least give us more screen space, with the 8 or 10 lines gone.

IIRC I had the same error before on one of my boards and am 95% certain that there is just a } missing or an empty line too many.
Frankly, I find myself enormousely tempted to set up a new and bug-free board on my own server and simply copy Terran's posts into it. Having to see these error messages and not being permitted to fix the bug is utterly frustrating for a TechAdmin.
I don't mean to offend the owner of this board but if she hasn't shown up in more than a year, her interest in this board must be even less than zero.

J. Allen

#9 Post by J. Allen » December 30th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Exactly, yes. Also, it's a security risk for end users to see debug notices. Such notices can be exploited, and I don't want that to happen here.
Starscape BBS has merged with Wordforge! You can find us here: http://www.wordforge.net

huggle

#10 Post by huggle » January 1st, 2014, 5:03 pm

that's an excellent point. I have to admit that the thought didn't occur to me yet.
I attempted to access the buggy files directly, though, and found them well protected. It would take an experienced (or well equipped) hacker to break through the server's security system.

J. Allen

#11 Post by J. Allen » January 2nd, 2014, 8:04 am

If you can't access the .php files directly, you can install a mod in the Admin CP that will let you switch off the notices from appearing in the forum. It won't solve the debug errors, but it will keep them from deforming the page. That link is here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... d_notices/

It shouldn't require access to the server to install.

huggle

#12 Post by huggle » January 4th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Cool! Thanks for the link. I shall bookmark it for my own boards.

Santaman
Administrators

#13 Post by Santaman » January 4th, 2014, 8:15 pm

I'll see if it can be installed, thank you.

huggle

#14 Post by huggle » January 4th, 2014, 9:00 pm

That'd be awesome, Santy. The error messages take up 14 lines on my screen. It would be a relief not to have to scroll so much.

Btw: have you ever tried to change the board's time settings? The error messages claim the board is using the server's default settings (which, as the server is physically located in Orange County, a few miles southeast of LA, is PST) but the board is set to GMT.
How about setting the board to PST for a try? If the server's time and the board's time agree, we maybe get rid of the error messages alltogether since apparently the other error messages ("headers already sent...") very likely all refer to the one problem of the header displaying a time and date that the board doesn't consider trustworthy.

Admittedly, it's a rather desperate theory. Still it's just a few clicks and there is a tiny chance that it actually works (when pigs fly and Spock dances the rock 'n roll...)

ETA: what version are we running atm? 3.10? I keep backups of all versions and would like to check the original viewtopic.php for the precise text in that line the debug is happy with. Once we located the bug, maybe we can find a way to remote-fix it.

Santaman
Administrators

#15 Post by Santaman » January 4th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Ah, we're running 3.05 so its not possible to run it, I'll nag at the boss one last time including my resignation as board/tech admin if they still don't do a thing.

J. Allen

#16 Post by J. Allen » January 4th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Sorry, guys, I wish I had something to help. I'm a tech admin at a number of boards, and I know how frustrating it can be to not have the tools you need to fix a problem.

Santaman
Administrators

#17 Post by Santaman » January 4th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Thank you anyway J, it is appreciated. :christmas:

huggle

#18 Post by huggle » January 5th, 2014, 10:52 am

great minds, Santy. I did a whois on the domain yesterday and noted down Liza's address in order to write to her on Tuesday (Monday is a public holiday here) and ask her to either sell the board and domain to me or care for it herself or give you the necessary access to do it.

Being an Admin, you have the authority to get a complete database backup of the board. Couldn't you make one for me, please (structure and contents of the tables, in ZIP format if possible. Plus a smilie export packet)?
I would then set up a clone of Terran on my own server and upgrade it to the latest version.
The template shouldn't be all that hard to copy, I think. Maybe you could look up what it's called? Then I can see if it's still available in the net.
The copy's address would then be http://sdg3.com/terranbbs . I can't use the old address as Liza owns the domain.

J. Allen

#19 Post by J. Allen » January 11th, 2014, 7:13 am

Good luck! I hope everything works out. This is a nice little community.

RJDiogenes

#20 Post by RJDiogenes » January 12th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Yes, I agree. If the current owners are disinterested, I don't see why they wouldn't pass it on to someone who cares.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

huggle

#21 Post by huggle » January 13th, 2014, 12:55 pm

stubbornness? So far I wasn't graced with a reply to my mail.
I think I'll start with the cloning this week, just in case

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#22 Post by PhoenixHope » January 13th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Actually, and keep in mind I haven't spoken to either of them in forever myself, but once upon a time they was planning something with server space (business-wise) with Captain Phil - if I recall correctly, though it might've been another because now I think Phil was working with Wraith, though maybe Phil just got around. How's that for name dropping folks who you youngin's round these parts have never heard of?

*coughs*

Anyway, my point is even if the plans fell-through or just never got off the ground I literally have no idea, but if it's a case that they just never got off the ground - well, I could see myself keeping it hanging just because I still plan to do it one day (despite the fact that I'd know it was never gonna happen - it might still happen!). *grin*
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)