Bates Motel Season One Episode Discussion Thread!

"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Bates Motel 1x06 "The Truth"

#51 Post by PhoenixHope » April 22nd, 2013, 7:04 am

Bates Motel 1x06 "The Truth"

Episode Description
(From My DISH Guide)

Dylan asks Norman to move in with him; Norma warns Emma that some things are best kept to themselves.

Interesting. Dylan went from asking his bro for a loan to get a place last week to actually having a place this week. Boy when he moves he moves fast - apparently.

Also can't help but wonder if Norma will ever find out that Emma was not the gal Norman "cheated" with, because that's clearly who she suspects it was, but since it's totally not I'm wondering if she'll ever learn that.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

Re: Bates Motel Season One Episode Discussion Thread!

#52 Post by RJDiogenes » April 22nd, 2013, 10:43 pm

No doubt at the worst possible time. Probably right after she murders Emma.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Bates Motel 1x06 "The Truth"

#53 Post by PhoenixHope » April 23rd, 2013, 5:27 am

This episode was sooo damn good - I don't know if I want to go ahead and review tonight or wait until Wednesday so I can watch it again after I work tomorrow - they doing it again trying to give me a wee bit more hours than I can maybe do... Of course, these are new people so they might not yet know that, but apparently I'm a good worker cause damn if everyone and their brother doesn't seem to always end up trying to work me more harder.
(Well, except for that job I took where they fired me after one five hour shift, but who remembers that?! BASTARDS!)

Bates Motel 1x06 The Truth

But seriously everything came out here... Well, not everything, Norma still doesn't know Emma wasn't the one, but and well she learned that Emma's mother took off because she couldn't handle raising a kid with CF and Norma actually acted like a decent human with her. SEE! No one can resist Emma - all will love her and despair!

Um, anyway, so where to begin. ETHAN IS DEAD! NOES! I liked him and I feel bad for Dylan, because as I mentioned last week Ethan was pretty much the only one that remembered Dylan but also actually kinda liked having him around. So I pretty much want to hug Dylan right now. Also wouldn't mind seeing him in leather chaps (damn bikers started that kink of mine again) without no damn jeans in the way.

So Dylan calls and tells someone he needs to talk to them, we see that it's the guy who basically hired him for the over-paid pot watching job. Anyway, he explains to his boss(?) what happened, and also forces himself to explain that he killed the guy who killed Ethan back. Instead of getting his ass in trouble as he clearly expected (he clearly doesn't know this town) we find out later along with him that he's apparently been promoted. HeHe!
(After he's told in detail how to get rid of Ethan's truck - i.e. the evidence.)

But more than that Dylan finally gets some love from not just Norman but Norma in this episode. After Dylan talks Norman into moving in with him and Norma finding out... Well, let's say a lot of shit goes on in the middle of this that I'll get to in a moment, but ultimately Norma tells Dylan the truth about what happened to Sam. Sam and Norma was fighting Sam got a little rough - Norman went into his first(?) black-out and hit Sam in the back of the head with a water pitcher or something and he basically died before he hit the ground. Norma couldn't get through to Norman so she put him to bed and then staged the shelf falling on Sam incident then went to get a shower. And we know what happens then, though the episode reshows it. Norman finds his dad and literally has no clue what the hell happened.

Basically, in the reshowing of it they make Norma look sane and normal - she's protecting her son. Anyway, after she tells Dylan this she basically tells him he can either start helping her protect Norman or get the hell out of her way. It's not really revealed what Dylan decides, but come on you know he's gonna help.

Anyway, the episode begins with Norma setting outside the motel just trying to process that the dude she kinda likes and has been dating - oh and who has tampered with evidence for her - is keeping a sex slave. It goes about as well as you'd expect, but at least Norman stops her from heading right over to his house right the fuck now.

Despite everything Emma still stupidly wants to go to police, I guess because she doesn't know what Norman and Norma know, but she does know a cop was involved with the keeping of a sex slave, so I'm not sure what she thinks going to the cops will accomplish, because they don't actually know at this point if there's anymore cops involved.

Jumps to the Dylan stuff I've already talked about, then moves back to Norma actually being nice and kind and not at all remotely kooky. Seriously, Emma says that the sex slave will have to speak to the police whether she wants to or not, and Norma is like "yes, but..." and basically convinces Emma that this can wait for at least a little while for the poor girl to at least get the drugged out nap she's currently taking over with.
(But after she leaves Norma admits that no one is going to the police until they get the belt back - you know the thing that the sex slave owning cop could hold over Norma.)

Now we come to a moment where Norman wants to know if there's something wrong with him, but Norma says she lied because she didn't want to believe Norma about the sex slave. That convo is butted into by Dylan and Norman tells him they found the sex slave, and so Dylan is all like "take me to the boat!" He's gonna help them.
(Of course, he's also gonna use the time to talk Norman into moving in with him.)

Norma is left behind while the boys go off to save her ass with the express instruction to stay put and talk to no one, so of course the sex slave owning cop shows up for a little mid-night nookie. Norma clearly isn't into it this time, but until her boys get back there's little she can do but play along. Which, of course, leads them down from the house to the motel, and you shouldn't need to be reminded that the sex slave is in one of the motel rooms, so you know this is gonna go smoothly with no problems what so ever.

And if you believe that I suspect you've never watched ANY television show EVER!

Anyway the boys do find the belt, but they simply toss it into the lake instead of salting and burning which seems like a mistake to me. Anyway, back at the love shack the sex slave owner cop is really going after it but Norma's taking it like a bored p0rn actress. Surprisingly he noticed this and they talk a little bit, before they (or he) start trying to get back into it. However, his sex slave chooses that moment to take a shower and he gets all concerned about the sounds of water running through the pipes, which of course during sex you'd jump right up to check out. (Not so much in my experience, but I'm going with it here since it could indicate someone might be in the motel who shouldn't be.

Anyway, the sex slave opens the door - sees her kidnapper and literally bolts into the night/woods, and who can blame her. He takes aim with his gun, but Norma jumps him throwing off his shot, so he knocks Norma's head into the side of the motel before giving chase. Just after that (finally) the boys return, and Dylan just announces they (he and Norman) are moving out, so Norma tells them what's happened while they've been away, but then instead of running they have to stand there all in the open talking about this moving out shit, which while I'm bitching about it was actually kinda awesome.

But of course Shelby returns before Dylan can get everyone in the truck to get the hell out of there. And he knows whatever Dylan's into requires a gun so he forces Dylan to disarm before telling everyone they're going into the house for a chat. And I guess I've been spoiled by Justified but it seems perfectly normal for this chat to happen at gun point.

Anyway, Shelby is nuts and blames Norman for all this... Well then he starts blaming Norma, but Norma and Dylan try to convince Zack it's all cool and good while Norman blacks out into a flash-back to the past, though we don't see what's he's seeing at the moment. But then Norman just attacks the hell out of Shelby - Dylan grabs Shelby's dropped gun and proceeds to enter into a shoot-out at the O-K Motel, while Norma pretty much drags the out of it Norman out of the motel and to her car where she discovers she doesn't have keys.

Dylan and Shelby are still firing rounds in the house - Norman is still the hell out of it. Then shots are fired again and someone comes stumbling out of the house. Oh, and did I mention Norma called 911 during all this. Norman also seems to come out of it a little bit, though he's clearly not his usual self still. Anyway, the figure coming out of the house is Shelby not Dylan. But not to fear just as Shelby is taking deadly aim at Norma Dylan finally kills his ass.

It's after that where Norma basically tells Dylan exactly what happened with Sam. The episode ends with the cops (or cop - they don't show his face, but you know it's Guyliner). So Dylan ends this episode basically in the club on two fronts - he's clearly in with the pot people but probably more importantly for him he's clearly made some in-roads with his family - not just Norman but by the end Norma as well.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#54 Post by RJDiogenes » April 23rd, 2013, 10:54 pm

What happened to the sex slave? Did she get away or did the cop kill her?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Bates Motel 1x06 "The Truth"

#55 Post by PhoenixHope » April 24th, 2013, 7:19 am

RJDiogenes wrote:What happened to the sex slave? Did she get away or did the cop kill her?

No idea - as far as I know she's still running in the night, but I suppose it's possible Shelby caught her and silently killed her before heading back to have the gun-point chat at the O.K. Motel.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Bates Motel 1x07 "The Man in Number 9"

#56 Post by PhoenixHope » April 29th, 2013, 6:46 am

Bates Motel 1x07 "The Man in Number 9"

Episode Description
(From My DISH Guide)

The Bates Motel welcomes its first guest; Norman learns that popular girls come with many complications.

*grins* I'd say this means Norman is about to learn the difference between a booty call and true love forever and ever AMEN!

RJDiogenes

#57 Post by RJDiogenes » April 29th, 2013, 11:00 pm

I wonder if we'll find out what happened to the sex slave.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Bates Motel 1x07 "The Man in Number 9"

#58 Post by PhoenixHope » April 30th, 2013, 5:08 am

I'm kinda curious about that myself.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#59 Post by PhoenixHope » May 1st, 2013, 2:10 am

Bates Motel 1x07 The Man in Number 9

Norman be cray-cray. Of course, if you know anything about this story you'd know that already, but this is the first episode where we see Norman being cray-cray while awake and aware. And after a few episodes where Norma seemed mostly normal she's kinda back to crazy as well, but next to Norman she still seems pretty damn sane.

And in more YAY news - Guyline proves to be a decent guy, though that comes along with also being a lying liar that lies. But basically the last episode ended with him pulling up to the O.K. Motel. Shelby (a cop) is dead, Dylan is standing near him holding the smoking gun, but also bleeding from his own gunshot wound, Norma is heading to the car where Norman is still blissed out. Anyway, scene break then everyone's in the house where Norma has finished telling Guyliner everything (apparently she decided Dylan had a point about all the lying, though I assume she didn't tell him about Norman - just everything about Keith Summers and related crimes), and Guyliner decides that the truth is too much to handle and he tells them what the official version is going to be, which basically leaves everyone blameless. Apparently Shelby turned on Keith and killed him then Guyliner showed up and killed Shelby because he'd long suspected the sex slave ring.

So the first part of the storyline has been closed off and we are now transitioning into the new apparently. Oh, and to my dismay apparently Shelby had time to hunt down and kill his former slave before returning to join/start the shoot-out in the O.K. Motel.

Also to my dismay the episode seemed to start (after the teaser, of course) with Norman and Bradley in bed together and I was ready to go nuts because that's just not how that whole thing would play out, but it turns out Norman's basically having just a little "he" time that gets cut short when Norma bursts in. After this Norman finds a dog under the porch and I was ready to start screaming again, because you do NOT want to kill a puppy on me. Naturally as I suspected the puppy was doomed but for my sake he wasn't killed by Norman or Norma... Well, he was run over, and Norman blames himself because he was trying to get the puppy to cross the road but as puppies are sometimes wont to do she waited until a car was zooming down the road before deciding to cross the road.

But that's getting ahead of myself. So, Dylan is pissed that Guyliner basically stole his thunder, but the next morning Norma seems hell bent on including Dylan in the family, but Dylan pisses all over her renewed family dreams by informing her that he's still gonna move out as soon as his arm heals. So Norma goes from trying to please to the passive/agressive Norma way that works so well on Norman, but basically Dylan... Well, I was gonna say he ain't buying it, but I don't really know, because he takes the trash out talks to a strange dude, and then later comes back to talk with the strange dude again because they don't have his information and that's pretty much all the Dylan in this episode.
(But he does seem to understand that's her game, and he's walked away from it before, so I'm betting Norma's normal crap ain't gonna stop him this time either. I wonder what will.)

Anyway, at some point before all that Emma comes over to see Norman, but Norman still being an idiot thinking he and Bradley can has profound connections basically tells Norma to inform Emma that he's not feeling well. Norma is shocked and at this point starts to realize that Emma was not the one who took her child/husbands V-Card. Because Norma clearly thinks that Norman and Emma would be perfect together, mostly I think because sadly Emma does have a somewhat limited shelf-life, but still Norma is on Team Nemma and thinks Team Nadley sucks ass. Anyway, Emma tries to take it well, but stops on the way out and Norma tries to cheer her up by taking her shopping. Mostly this is so Norma can pick Emma's brains about who the hell took her child/husband's V-Card, though it certainly wouldn't seem like that from Emma's point of view. And, to be fair, Emma tries to play it like she doesn't know anything, but then breaks down because not only is Bradley pretty she's also nice so you can't even hate her for banging the virgin out of your crush. That will obviously not stop Norma from hating her (though Norma makes no mis-steps here with Emma, so Emma is still on Team Norma), but Emma is also a nice (not to mention sane) girl so she doesn't hate Bradley she's just hurt by it all really.

The reason you know Emma is still on Team Norma, because when Norma tries to tell Norman what a "bad" girl Bradley is Norman isn't having none of it (he still belives it's true love and why does everybody keep implying it was naught but a booty call - DAMN YOU ALL!) Norma confesses that she's hired Emma to help out around the motel a couple days a week. Anyway, I'd type what Norma says re: Bradley, but I've got something else playing on the TV right now and I can't remember exactly, but she doesn't actually use words like bad, slut, or whore - it's more just along the lines of implying all that. "What kind of girl shows up to ask a guy out the first night the guy's in town?" "What kind of girl has sex while mourning her dead parent?" Of course, Norma sorta repeats Emma as well "you aren't in a relationship with her [Bradley] because you don't see each other." Her words are important, because Norman after storming out in a hissy fit of epic proportions (not really just a tired cliche of teen angst) heads straight to Bradley's house to get Bradley to admit their love is forever. And it's as painful to watch as you'd expect - Norman is laying his heart out and Bradley clearly just wants him to stop because the things Norman feels about the sex are not remotely the things she feels about it.

The only mistake Bradley really makes here is not actually saying "Norman, you know I was depressed, right? I was tired of everyone wanting me to just cheer the hell up already, and you didn't do that. But at the same time I was also tired of being so damn sad all the time and when you came over I saw a way to distract myself for a moment." That might not have exactly been better, but it would've been a lot better than her saying she shouldn't have done that with Norman. Which what she meant was she shouldn't have used a virgin who's also a nice guy for a meaningless booty call (she's a smart girl, so, yes, she should've known better than that), but she didn't clarify that for him so he takes it very badly - like she thinks she shouldn't have done that with him because she thinks she's better than he is.

Now this is where Norma's words become important, as Norman storms away from Bradley all his dreams shattered all around him he repeats word for word his mother's words about Bradley (the first real Norman related hint of what's to come eventually, because the stuff with simply blacking out just wasn't quite that). However, because Bradley is actually a nice girl and an overall decent person she's come after Norman, which honestly had me fearing for her life, because instead of chasing him she really should be running away. Anyway, "Norman" says he doesn't think Bradley is a nice girl, and my blood pressure rises, but then Norman seems to come back to himself a little bit and just says he has to go now, and thankfully he does just that and Bradley (also thankfully) decides to let him go.
(Oh, and earlier there's a scene where Dylan and Norman encounter Bradley and Bradley has some wicked attraction to Dylan that I thought Norman was picking up on, but maybe he wasn't, I'm not really sure.)

And then we come to the next honest to goodness hint of things to come as the episode draws to a close and when the dog dies, and Norma doesn't even know/understand why Norman's reactions to that should honestly and totally freak her the hell right out. DANGER, NORMA BATES! DANGER! Is what the whole things screams to me, but to Norma there's only concern for Norman. Basically, and I don't believe I've mentioned this before but Emma's dad is one of those who makes those mounted stuffed animal thingies that hunters are so fond of. And Norman's all like "take me to Emma's - her dad can fix this," when in reality no, he really can't fix this, but while that seems obvious to everyone you know it kinda needs explaining to Norman, but I'm betting no one will ever do that, which I kinda like. It seems obvious that everyone would know that stuffing an animal is not the same as the animal still being alive so it wouldn't be something anyone would think would need explaining - an over-sight but a totally understandable one.

Next week - the man in number nine turns creepy, and I'm almost sure he's one of the "bad" guys from Justified (DUFFY! Seriously, if he ain't Duffy then he looks exactly like Duffy) so I find myself hoping he isn't as bad as Keith and can therefore hang around for awhile. Okay, he doesn't just suddenly turn creepy he was creepy all through this episode, but he promised Norma regular money coming in and good word of mouth so she was ignoring the creep factor - only Dylan was concerned about that.
(The reason why she needs good word of mouth is because despite her best efforts her motel has a reputation in town already and it's opening soon and so far the creepy guy is the only one who's in any way interested in the Bates Motel.)

Oh, and before I stop I want to mention the biggest red herring scene this episode had, and I suspect it was only there so the promos would look extra creepy and I find myself not liking it for that. Basically, there's completely useless scene where a door was left open and it started banging in the middle of the night so Norma grabs Micheal Myers (or I suppose her sons favorite) knife and wanders into the dark room to be creeped out. Like I say if this scene felt like it had a purpose/place other than tossed in so the promos could be made to look creepy I don't think I'd have a problem with it, but as near as I can promo related reasons are the only reason that scene was there.

Also on a weirdly interesting note - which show is trying to cash in on Bates Motel now? - or at least the Psycho franchise? Criminal Minds is advertising an episode with a motel where you check in but you don't check out. Weirdly enough I'm pretty sure a couple years ago Criminal Minds had an episode like that, so perhaps it's simply a sign that the people behind CM have simply ran out of fresh stories to tell. On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have to work tomorrow so that I can watch both Criminal Minds (just to see how close it'll be) and Supernatural (just because at this point I seem to be a glutten for punishment - okay, so the last episode was alright, but the overall season not so much).

RJDiogenes

#60 Post by RJDiogenes » May 1st, 2013, 11:21 pm

I suspect Bradly's days are numbered, and that the number of days is now till the season finale.

The part about the dog is very weird. That borders on parody or satire. Will Norman become an apprentice to Emma's father and learn how to stuff things? :shock:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#61 Post by PhoenixHope » May 2nd, 2013, 1:54 am

RJDiogenes wrote:I suspect Bradly's days are numbered, and that the number of days is now till the season finale.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Bradley's gonna LIVE! No, seriously, she's gonna get with Dylan and therefore he'll protect her from his crazy-ass family.

*happily deluded and staying that way, thank you very much*

As for the other stuff, I can see how my review makes it seem that way, but weirdly enough it played so much better on the screen then I could hope to reflect in this review. Highmore (playing young Norman) is really fantastic. At first I'd have said he wasn't as good as VF (playing Norma and she's older with more experience) but in the recent episodes you can see that he's just as good as she is, and it's great that they have both of them playing the roles that they are playing because in the hands of lessor actors/actresses it could easily come across as parody/satire.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#62 Post by PhoenixHope » May 2nd, 2013, 9:43 pm

Well, just coming back for a for the record - Supernatural was pretty good this week, and Criminal Minds despite the promos was nothing like Psycho and kinda boring at that.

RJDiogenes

#63 Post by RJDiogenes » May 2nd, 2013, 11:17 pm

Well, there was quite a bit of dark humor in the Psycho sequels, so I wouldn't be surprised if the show got a bit campy.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Bates Motel 1x08 "A Boy and His Dog"

#64 Post by PhoenixHope » May 6th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Bates Motel 1x08 "A Boy and His Dog"

Episode Description
(From My DISH Guide)

A mysterious stranger causes problems for Norma; Dylan and Remo take a fateful road trip.

RJDiogenes

#65 Post by RJDiogenes » May 6th, 2013, 11:21 pm

I wonder if that's the same dog. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Bates Motel 1x08 "A Boy and His Dog"

#66 Post by PhoenixHope » May 7th, 2013, 10:22 pm

Bates Motel 1x08 A Boy and His Dog

I gotta be honest I didn't really enjoy this episode because almost everyone in it was just so painfully stupid.

I mean, while I love Emma she was even more than a little stupid here. Only Bradley was really okay, but even that disappointed me because thanks to idiot Norman I'm realizing the only way Bradley is going to get her point across is if she actually does go all Faith on his stupid ass.
(To get her point across on Buffy the Vampire Slayer Faith skipped the explaining part and jumped straight to the trying to kill Xander to make her point part. What's sad here is that Xander unlike Norman would've likely accepted that not interested actually means not interested.)

Then there's Norma who I guess really does think sex is a weapon, because to try and stop the highway from being built she embarrasses herself pretty badly by getting all sexy and when that failed tried to get Sheriff Guyliner to help just because somehow (who knows what the fuck goes on in Norma's mind) he owes her one or something. *sigh* But the stupid didn't end there - Norma decided Dylan was right about her first guest and decides to follow him, but it's all stupid because Norma is too obvious to be subtle.
(This leads to the guy demanding something but neither Norma nor the audience know what it is - it might be the comic, but I'm pretty sure that was in room four not nine. But because Norma cannot just tell the fucking truth the guy, of course, thinks Norma knows something... That does pretty much lead to the best part of the episode - Norma finding dead Shelby in her bed.)

Basically this episode was very realistic from a behavioral stand-point, but horrible embarrassment isn't good entertainment for me so that means I just didn't really enjoy it at all. Yes there's been embarrassing crap in this show before now, but before now it tended to balance that out by having at least one or two characters actually being awesome to off-set the horrible embarrassment coming from other characters.

But let's go back to Emma for a moment, because even I knew telling Norman's business to the gossip girls in the bathroom was a mistake. Still in her defense she only did it because those girls was dissing Norman by saying it was stupid that he seemed to think he had ANY chance with Bradley, so Emma jumps in and says "check yourself, cause it happened." This leads to Norman being mad at Emma for spilling his business, but also wondering why Bradley doesn't want anyone to know, because they had sex why should that be a secret and clearly that dumbass was still planning the fucking wedding. But then later when Emma comes to make up with Norman and explain why she did it she does her level best to make me a Norman/Emma shipper, but darling Emma that's not gonna happen, because I love you too much to want that for you. Yes, you say Norman makes you feel safe, but he shouldn't and you should be getting the fuck all away from him NOW! So, no, I won't be shipping the two of you no matter how hard you try and make me.

Oh, and before that Norman decided he wants to learn from Emma's father (starting with his own dead dog), but Norma finds that weird and tells Emma's father how she really feels - I don't want Norman becoming ANY weirder thank you very much. But then she has (or tries) to back-track because Emma's father does not just ignore the insult. Also, some smart teachers at school get together and decide Norman needs therapy - Norma doesn't like that so she chooses someone for Norman to see herself, and then she inserts herself into that because she doesn't trust Norman not to spill the family business, so this really isn't gonna help Norman at all. The dude tries to point this out by at least pointing out that there's some dysfunction in Norma, but as expected she just gets defense and pissed off, so this isn't going to help at all.

Oh and I think Dylan is in over his head, but I find myself not really caring.

RJDiogenes

#67 Post by RJDiogenes » May 7th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Wow, another corpse. The body count in this show is amazing, and Norman hasn't even gotten started yet. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Bates Motel 1x08 "A Boy and His Dog"

#68 Post by PhoenixHope » May 8th, 2013, 2:02 am

Well, to be fair, this was a corpse that was killed on screen an episode or two ago. But because Norma pissed off the creepy guy by lying about what she did know which made creepy guy think she knew more than she does... Basically this was like the scene in The Godfather with the horse-head more than a scary movie kind of thing.
(Oh and because my reviews haven't made this obvious the show has made it obvious that this creepy guy is/was involved with Keith and Zack and the sex slave stuff, which honestly I'm a little disappointed this wasn't played more subtly. Then again I'm kinda getting overall disappointed that the only thing this show seems to be doing subtly is the Norma/Norman stuff.)

And that's part of the reason why this whole thing could (maybe is even starting to) fall apart. Honestly, I accept that Norma is crazy and that Norman is pretty much on his way to crazy-town, but it's still stupid that the town is this scary and pretty much no one is actually seriously considering just moving the fuck away, especially Norma since more than a little of this crazy has been directed at her personally.
(Yes, Norma finally decides leaving town is a good idea in the coming episode based on the promos for it, but clearly that's not gonna happen - I mean if this wants to stay true to the overall story then they can't leave, which means some of the towns crazy people and shit needs to be toned the fuck down. No, I don't mean all the crazy needs to be toned down, but it needs to morph into more personal crazy shit with Norma/Norman and not crazy from the outside (I.E. the town and the townspeople).)

RJDiogenes

#69 Post by RJDiogenes » May 8th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Well, maybe she wants to leave but can't afford to because nobody will buy the motel. That would just make her crazier.

The problem is that the essence of Norman Bates was that he was a hidden psycho in the midst of normalcy. Being just another serial killer in a crazy-ass town in 2013 takes away his specialness.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Bates Motel 1x09 "Underwater"

#70 Post by PhoenixHope » May 13th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Bates Motel 1x09 "Underwater"

Episode Description
(From My DISH Guide)

Abernathy increases the pressure; Bradley and Dylan connect; Miss Watson encourages Norman's active imagination; Emma takes a trip.

RJDiogenes

#71 Post by RJDiogenes » May 13th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Miss Watson will be sorry. :(

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: Bates Motel 1x09 "Underwater"

#72 Post by PhoenixHope » May 15th, 2013, 12:00 am

So because I'm having some not feeling good issues I basically just wrote down a few thoughts as the episode aired and while it does make a review it's a pretty short one. Certainly a short one from me, but at least it's more than a paragraph.

Bates Motel 1x09 Underwater

Okay, so I'm starting to fall out of love with Bradley, and I'm honestly not sure why, but there was just something about the way she was "handled" in this episode that did more than just rub me the wrong way it made me not really like her much. And I think I started channeling Sheldon Cooper here (The Big Bang Theory) because I actually said the following while watching the episode - "apparently this show is just going to start lowering the quality of the character of Bradley until I will not actually care when/if Norma/Norman kills her." And that might not be a bad thing since Norman's now jerking off to the dream he had where he drowned Bradley (he had the dream, and apparently liked it so much that when he woke up he had to touch himself) - this later freaks Dylan out. Norman decides to look up drowning and dreams on the internet and Dylan catches him at that and gets all like "so who you dreaming about drowning?" Norman tries to evade, but does confess. And I couldn't help but think Dylan wasn't actually freaked out enough, but then he didn't know the images of killing Bradley took Norman to his happy place.

Really, though the only good thing about this episode was Stoned!Emma. Norma is all anti-drugs, and so she has to leave but tells Emma that she has to keep the stoners from stoning at the motel. Emma does try and I'd put mine out too, because Emma doesn't come off all "Norma" about the whole thing she's all like "please put the joint out because I don't want to lose my job." And the guy does so, but not before trying to get Emma to join him for a smoke. And, hey, that just means the stoner has good taste, but Emma's all like "really? You do see the Oxygen tank, right?" And he's all like "people who have those still smoke," and sadly he's not actually wrong about that, but Emma's smarter than all that. So later Emma finds a cupcake the stoner left her and after thinking about it she eats it. But alas unhappily Emma doesn't have a good reaction instead she gets all paranoid and freaked.

Well, okay, Norma attacking the real-estate agent with her purse was also pretty good. You could tell she wanted to hurt him, but alas her purse is not like most women's purses, because dude even if I accidentally hit you with mine it's gonna hurt and if I slug it at you like Norma did here you will go down.

But seriously this episode actually makes the supportive teacher creepy - like she wants to help Norman, but now she's all weirdly over-invested in this. *sigh* So again I say for this show to really work as it should the whole thing would benefit greatly by toning down the town evil and ramping up the Bates evil or at least creepy. Instead the show is now doing the reverse of that and ramping up the town creepy/evil.

RJDiogenes

#73 Post by RJDiogenes » May 15th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Yeah, sounds like they will have the teacher come on to Norman. Stoned Emma sounds amusing, though.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Bates Motel 1x10 "Midnight" (Season Finale)

#74 Post by PhoenixHope » May 19th, 2013, 7:15 am

Bates Motel 1x10 "Midnight" (Season Finale)

Episode Description
(From My DISH Guide)

Romero decides to take action; Norman brings Emma to the dance; Norman gets a ride home from Miss Watson.

Good money's on Miss Watson being DOOMED! Because I'm now betting Bradley will be the big death next season.

RJDiogenes

#75 Post by RJDiogenes » May 19th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Yeah, I imagine the teacher will put the moves on Norman.

For a second I wondered if Romero might end up as a Zombie, but there's nothing supernatural on this show. :lol: