"The stuff dreams are made of."

Moderator: PhoenixHope

PhoenixHope
Administrators

The Season One Crossbones Discussion Thread

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » May 30th, 2014, 3:16 am

Crossbones 1x01 "The Devil's Dominion"

Episode Description From zap2it:
Pirates working for the legendary, but supposedly dead, Blackbeard, steal an important device.
To be honest, I have no idea whether I'll care enough about this show to review or not, but we've entered the slow time of the TV season and so I decided what the hell why shouldn't I start a thread for it.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: The Season One Crossbones Discussion Thread

#2 Post by PhoenixHope » June 9th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Oops.

To be perfectly honest I have the now two episodes of this show sitting on my DVR I simply haven't gotten around to watching them yet. I do still plan too, and might even do so tonight. However, even if I don't tonight I probably will get around to them sometime this week.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#3 Post by PhoenixHope » July 13th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Okay, I have been watching this, and while I don't really feel like reviewing I can say it's not a bad little show. Not totally engaging either, but an interesting little summer distraction.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#4 Post by PhoenixHope » September 1st, 2014, 9:38 pm

Okay, so I finally managed to get the last few episodes of this show watched and despite what I said earlier at the end of the day (or rather show) I think I rather liked this little show. For me it was that when I finally finished the last episode of the show I found myself wishing I'd saved the previous ones on my DVR because I would've liked to watch it again all at once.

And while I know everyone says things like this about their shows I do think if NBC had chosen to back this horse instead of Dracula Crossbones might've held up a bit better than Dracula did. Of course it might not have, but the main difference for me between the shows was that it was so obvious in the course of just two episodes (which was all I could manage to watch of Dracula) that Dracula (as a show) thought a lot more about itself than it deserved, whereas Crossbones mostly accepted that it was a simple show about kinda/sorta wanting to be retired pirates and therefore mostly didn't have such lofty thoughts about itself, and for me because of that it ended up being the better show by a large margin.

Granted no matter what NBC did with it I don't think it would've ever been the surprise hit of the season, but again I think weirdly enough it would've been a much better match with Grimm than Dracula ever could have been.