2014/15: Renewals/cancels/& back order thread!(US Broadcast)

Latest breaking news and comments along with posters reviews

Moderators: PhoenixHope, Grim

PhoenixHope
Administrators

2014/15: Renewals/cancels/& back order thread!(US Broadcast)

#1 Post by PhoenixHope » October 10th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Okay, almost every year I try to keep up with television cancels, renewals, and back orders for freshman shows. However, in years past I've done this by giving every bit of news it's very own thread and some get lost in the shuffle so I decided to try making one big thread.

NOTE: This is not a guessing at Cancelations and Renewals thread - that will come much later and get its own thread. This thread will only contain news about shows that have had their episode orders extended, been officially canceled, or been officially renewed.

And to my surprise this season it's renewal news before cancel news - also a bit surprising considering how well The Flash premiered for the CW it's ABC with the first episode extensions of the season.
(And so far officially there's been nothing canceled or yanked from the schedule.)

Anyway, via press release yesterday ABC officially ordered a full backorder for their new comedy black-ish from the originally ordered 13 bringing it to 22 episodes, and extended the episode order for How to Get Away with Murder from the originally ordered 13 episodes to a whooping 15, which apparently in that special ABC way of counting makes full backorders for both shows.

So there you go - ABC went first and it was with extensions rather than cancelations. Though despite FOX having a few stinkers this season it makes sense they wasn't the first considering this is the network that stuck with and aired all 13 episodes of The Mob Doctor despite horrible ratings.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

Re: 2014/15: Renewals/cancels/& back order thread!(US Broadcast)

#2 Post by PhoenixHope » October 13th, 2014, 8:29 pm

And FOX went next giving Gotham the back nine so now it will have a full first season, and since FOX isn't using that special ABC math full means 22 episodes.

Also, and the following is cable not broadcast, but since it is one of the shows I watch I'm putting it here - FX has renewed American Horror Story for a fifth season.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#3 Post by PhoenixHope » October 14th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Sneaking in yet more cable news:

The Walking Dead (Season Premiere)
- 17.3 million viewers
- 8.7 A18-49

[quote]via press release:

New York, NY – October 13, 2014 – The season five premiere of AMC’s “The Walking Dead” delivered the highest ratings in series history. The episode was watched by 17.3 million viewers and 11 million adults aged 18-49, increases of 7% and 6%, respectively, over the season four premiere, the previous record-holder. “The Walking Dead” continues to be the #1 show on television among adults 18-49. Last night’s episode outperformed everything else on television in this key demographic, including Sunday Night Football, by over 2.5 million adults 18-49. With time-shifted playback, the season five premiere should exceed 22 million viewers.[/quote]

And also noting for those who might not know The Walking Dead has already been renewed for another season.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#4 Post by PhoenixHope » October 22nd, 2014, 5:31 pm

And now for some news that came while I was away.

To no surprise, the CW has given The Flash a full season order and while it might be a triffle surprising to some the CW has given a full season order to Jane the Virgin as well. But I am not surprised because I believe Jane the Virgin is a CBS property and based on history I'm calling Jane the Virgin this seasons Beauty and the Beast & Reign.

PS - News from the cable is that SyFy has picked up ZNation for a second season. Still, however, no news about Lost Girl, so much so that I'm starting to suspect SyFy did not pick up another season from our Canadian friends.

PPS - And it looks like FOX is first with a cancel, though it's yanked nothing from the schedule yet. But Mulaney had it's sixteen episode order reduced to thirteen, but since it's still gonna air more episodes probably even all thirteen some folks will believe that (and the network will likely support this belief) this show is not dead until the network upfronts in May when it's not listed on the next seasons schedule. Some people will be shocked (shocked, I tell you) when this happens.

There may be more to come as I continue catching up on the news from the internet that I missed.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#5 Post by PhoenixHope » October 24th, 2014, 6:14 pm

ABC expanding episode orders for several shows:

Modern Family, The Middle, The Goldbergs, black-ish, and Grey's Anatomy will now have 24 episodes this season.

Castle and Once Upon A Time will have 23 episodes for this season.
(Note: it was originally reported that Resurrection also got a bonus episode but it would seem that was wrong or ABC simply changed their mind.)

And there's a report that CBS has cut the order for CSI (from 22 to 18) - now it's never really a good sign when a long-running show has its episode order cut, but in this case it is possible that doesn't spell doom and gloom for CSI. This season CBS started four new fall dramas (Madam Secertary, Scorpion, NCIS: New Orleans, and Stalker) and all but one of those (Madam Secretary) is looking likely for a back-order (okay Stalker could go either way, but if it holds where it is it'll get a back-order), which means CBS will need some space come mid-season because I know they still have at least two new dramas to premiere and I think at least two returning dramas yet to premiere. However, despite that CSI fans should probably go ahead and assume the worst.
(It should be noted that CBS has neither confirmed nor denied this news, but even without that it's very likely true.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#6 Post by PhoenixHope » October 25th, 2014, 7:31 pm

AAAND ABC has officially pulled the banhammer first!

Manhattan Love Story has been canceled AND pulled from the schedule, which despite FOX cutting the episode order and stopping production on Mulaney which would make it the first, except FOX unlike ABC hasn't pulled their show from the schedule. Anyway, moving on -- that leads into what's probably a burn-off of episodes for another show because as of now Selfie will air two episodes a week -- I say probable burn-off, because Selfie isn't doing much better than Manhattan Love Story, but ABC has to use something to bridge over to the mid-season, and so this move sorta kills two birds with one hammer the outright loser is gone and the next in line is now racing towards the hammer.
(Though it is possible that Selfie could live to the end of the season despite low ratings - it just depends on what kind of comedy bench ABC has and exactly how much faith they have in it.)

RJDiogenes

#7 Post by RJDiogenes » October 26th, 2014, 9:19 pm

^^ That's a little surprising, considering that whatsername from Doctor Who and whatsisname from nuTrek is in it. And the advertising makes it look joined at the hip with Manhattan Love Story. Actually, both of them look appealing-- if I was inclined to start watching new sitcoms, I would have given both a try.
PhoenixHope wrote:Though despite FOX having a few stinkers this season it makes sense they wasn't the first considering this is the network that stuck with and aired all 13 episodes of The Mob Doctor despite horrible ratings.
Boy, Fox sure has changed. It's too bad they weren't like that when Firefly was on the air.
PhoenixHope wrote:PS - News from the cable is that SyFy has picked up ZNation for a second season. Still, however, no news about Lost Girl, so much so that I'm starting to suspect SyFy did not pick up another season from our Canadian friends.
I may be wrong, but I think the word was a while ago that the next season of Lost Girl would be the last. And Z Nation is surprisingly good, considering it's from The Asylum.
PhoenixHope wrote:Castle and Once Upon A Time will have 23 episodes for this season.
(Note: it was originally reported that Resurrection also got a bonus episode but it would seem that was wrong or ABC simply changed their mind.)
I've heard that Once Upon A Time has been given an extra episode which will take the form of a two-hour episode sometime mid season.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#8 Post by PhoenixHope » October 27th, 2014, 7:51 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ That's a little surprising, considering that whatsername from Doctor Who and whatsisname from nuTrek is in it. And the advertising makes it look joined at the hip with Manhattan Love Story. Actually, both of them look appealing-- if I was inclined to start watching new sitcoms, I would have given both a try.
The who in the what now?

Sorry, but I closed the place where I work last night and had to open this morning, so that might be why I can't figure out what you're saying.

Anyway, it's not that surprising if you know the ratings - Manhattan Love Story was pretty much DOA and Selfie just ain't doing that much better, but is doing enough better to air out all the ordered episodes before vanishing.
RJDiogenes wrote:Boy, Fox sure has changed. It's too bad they weren't like that when Firefly was on the air.
I thought that back when Fringe got a fifth season (whether you loved Fringe or not by the ratings it shouldn't have gotten a fifth season) - Firefly rather than being a day late and a dollar short was actually a day early.
RJDiogenes wrote:I may be wrong, but I think the word was a while ago that the next season of Lost Girl would be the last. And Z Nation is surprisingly good, considering it's from The Asylum.
No, you are right - Lost Girl will be airing a final season in Canada, but I've heard nothing about SyFy picking said final season up to air in the US. And last season SyFy started airing Lost Girl in November and since there's been no news I'm thinking SyFy isn't planning to air said final season.

You're also right about that other thing. *grin*
RJDiogenes wrote:I've heard that Once Upon A Time has been given an extra episode which will take the form of a two-hour episode sometime mid season.
I don't know when/how it'll air, but Once Upon A Time does indeed have an extra episode this season.

RJDiogenes

#9 Post by RJDiogenes » October 27th, 2014, 10:33 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:The who in the what now?
Karen Gillan played Amy Pond in Doctor Who (one of the most popular Companions ever) and John Cho was Sulu in nuTrek.
I thought that back when Fringe got a fifth season (whether you loved Fringe or not by the ratings it shouldn't have gotten a fifth season) - Firefly rather than being a day late and a dollar short was actually a day early.
And it's too late to try again.
No, you are right - Lost Girl will be airing a final season in Canada, but I've heard nothing about SyFy picking said final season up to air in the US. And last season SyFy started airing Lost Girl in November and since there's been no news I'm thinking SyFy isn't planning to air said final season.
Oh, I see. That would be terrible. Maybe they're just negotiating.
You're also right about that other thing. *grin*
I'm as shocked as you are. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#10 Post by PhoenixHope » October 27th, 2014, 11:14 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Oh, I see. That would be terrible. Maybe they're just negotiating.
Well, I suppose that could be it, but at this point the hour is getting very late on it so to speak.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#11 Post by PhoenixHope » October 28th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Apparently I must issue a correction, because CBS has given back-orders to all four new shows, which does make the cutting back on CSI make a whole lotta sense now, but it also still makes it more likely that CSI will be canceled over renewed at the end of the season.

So to repeat NCIS: New Orleans, Scorpion, Madam Secretary, and Stalker will all be airing for a full first season, unless CBS is using special ABC math on one or two -- the press release I saw didn't mention if they would all be 22 just that they was given backorders.

ETA: NBC has given The Mysteries of Laura a full 22 episode first season.

RJDiogenes

#12 Post by RJDiogenes » October 28th, 2014, 11:22 pm

NCIS: New Orleans is the one with Captain Archer and Mrs Frederick, right? I should give that one a look.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#13 Post by PhoenixHope » October 29th, 2014, 7:53 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:NCIS: New Orleans is the one with Captain Archer and Mrs Frederick, right? I should give that one a look.
Captain Who? Because THERE ARE ONLY FOUR CAPTAINS.

But to answer your question yes to the first, but I don't know who the hell the second is.

WOW! Sorry that second bit came off a little more harsh than intended -- all I can say in my defense is that my job has pissed me off so much this week... Well, not my job, but the boss makes a schedule that I think I can do without too much trouble and then for the second week in row changes it to something that's gonna hurt real bad and basically I'm at the last straw. Seriously next week I'm gonna start pounding the pavement looking for something else.

RJDiogenes

#14 Post by RJDiogenes » October 29th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Mrs Frederick was the mysterious woman who was Artie's boss in Warehouse 13. You may not have watched Warehouse 13.

And you're not an Enterprise fan evidently. :lol:

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#15 Post by PhoenixHope » October 30th, 2014, 7:31 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:And you're not an Enterprise fan evidently. :lol:
Not remotely. I managed to watch exactly one hour and fifteen minutes before giving up, because it seemed like that show took the worst parts of Voyager tossed out the good parts and then tried to make the horrible parts into a viable series.
RJDiogenes wrote:You may not have watched Warehouse 13.
Nope - I saw some ads for it and such, but never even watched an episode.

And apparently I must issue another correction, or ABC simply didn't like everyone guessing the obvious over their doubling up on Selfie episodes.
PhoenixHope wrote:Anyway, moving on -- that leads into what's probably a burn-off of episodes for another show because as of now Selfie will air two episodes a week -- I say probable burn-off, because Selfie isn't doing much better than Manhattan Love Story -- <snip>
Of course, I also added the following:
PhoenixHope wrote:(Though it is possible that Selfie could live to the end of the season despite low ratings - it just depends on what kind of comedy bench ABC has and exactly how much faith they have in it.)
And now today ABC has announced that Selfie will only pull double duty for one week after that Modern Family repeats will take over the spot.

RJDiogenes

#16 Post by RJDiogenes » October 30th, 2014, 11:30 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:Not remotely. I managed to watch exactly one hour and fifteen minutes before giving up, because it seemed like that show took the worst parts of Voyager tossed out the good parts and then tried to make the horrible parts into a viable series.
I liked it. Of course, I liked Voyager, too. :D
Nope - I saw some ads for it and such, but never even watched an episode.
Well, Mrs Frederick was a rather imposing Black woman with a mysterious past and mysterious powers.
And now today ABC has announced that Selfie will only pull double duty for one week after that Modern Family repeats will take over the spot.
Man, they used to at least move things to another night to see if they would do any better.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#17 Post by PhoenixHope » November 1st, 2014, 5:47 pm

Well, NBC has canceled Bad Judge and A to Z. However, as with FOX they haven't been pulled from the schedule they will air out all the already ordered episodes (13 I believe) and after that they will be gone forever.

PS -
RJDiogenes wrote:Of course, I liked Voyager, too. :D
Well, I mostly liked Voyager, but there was quite a few things I also hated about it and as I said it was almost (from what I saw) that ENT took those things I hated and removed the things I actually liked and then made a series.

RJDiogenes

#18 Post by RJDiogenes » November 1st, 2014, 9:14 pm

Well, there's certainly a few things I would have done differently if I were the boss on Voyager-- but that's true of almost everything. What was it you disliked that carried over to Enterprise?

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#19 Post by PhoenixHope » November 3rd, 2014, 10:01 pm

I know I don't usually keep up with reality, but FOX has canceled its low-rated reality series Utopia, and it's no surprise - the surprise is that didn't cancel it sometime last month. And this time canceled means canceled and pulled from the schedule.

Repeats of MasterChef Junior will take its place.
RJDiogenes wrote:What was it you disliked that carried over to Enterprise?
To be honest, it's been so damn long I don't remember exactly (there's no way I could have detailed debate on the subject), but my mind seems to think it was character related.

RJDiogenes

#20 Post by RJDiogenes » November 3rd, 2014, 11:17 pm

My biggest problem was that the Maquis were too easily integrated into the crew. I would have had them all living in "the Maquis section," with graffiti on the walls and plants in the corridors to make it as little like a Federation starship as possible (because they hated the Feds). And they would have their own leader, who Janeway would have to negotiate with. Kind of like a metaphor for Israel and the Palestinians.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#21 Post by PhoenixHope » November 7th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Backorder, revival, and cancel news from three networks.

First, NBC orders five more episodes of Marry Me (making the first season 18 episodes). Second, FOX decides to revive Are You Smarter Then A 5th Grader? (because who doesn't need a little more Jeff Foxworthy in their life?). And third ABC gives Foever the backorder (so it'll have a full 22, though despite that it still seems likely Forever will be one and done) and officially cancels Selfie. No, it's still not yanking Selfie off the schedule but has admitted there won't be anymore episodes after the original 13, which makes it officially a DSA (dead show airing).

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#22 Post by PhoenixHope » November 12th, 2014, 3:20 am

POST DELETED!

I misunderstood something, so see my next post for some clarity.

RJDiogenes

#23 Post by RJDiogenes » November 13th, 2014, 12:42 am

That's too bad. I've seen The Mindy Project a couple of times and I like it.

Strange that they'd give Forever a full season and then cancel it. I hope they don't. I've only seen the first episode, but I know someone who likes it.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#24 Post by PhoenixHope » November 14th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Okay so I reported above (post now deleted) that FOX had cut the episode order of The Mindy Project from 22 to 15 which was actually wrong. Apparently, when FOX renewed The Mindy Project last year for this season it was only renewed for only 15 episodes. So when I saw people saying the episode order had been cut from 22 to 15 I misunderstood, because FOX hadn't cut the order in-season they just hadn't ordered a full season to begin with.
(Which probably means the "extra" episodes of New Girl and Brooklyn Nine-Nine was probably ordered when they was renewed rather than having recently been ordered, which is probably why I couldn't find any news on those either.)

The misunderstanding was my fault entirely here, because admittedly aside from Sleepy Hollow and Bones I don't really pay much attention to FOX, and at this point regarding Bones I don't really keep up with it just keep watching for a final season announcement for it.

However, it is during this time I start paying a bit more attention to all network ratings for my first round renewal/cancelation guesses in late Jan. or early Feb., but even then I only watch the ratings of the shows and not reviews or the shows themselves, though I sometimes pay some attention to news about all shows and not just ones I watch. *shrugs* I do much the same with NBC which aside from Grimm and Hannibal I don't really keep up with either until I get ready to start making predictions/guesses.

Anyway, are we all on the same page now. The Mindy Project didn't have it's order cut to 15 during the season it was only ordered for 15 when it was renewed for this season. Sadly I should've known this, but it didn't hit me until I saw the FOX announcement today that it had ordered six more episodes of The Mindy Project for this season. So, it had 15 it now has 21. This news also makes it likely renewed for another season since it's currently airing its third season.

In other news, ABC is most likely pulling Selfie from their schedule entirely now.

Here's where things stand now the Tuesday, November 18th episode of Selfie and the repeat of Modern Family will not be seen because ABC will be showing a Shark Tank repeat. And after that for the next two weeks Selfie won't be seen because of a Dancing with the Stars clip show and holiday programs.

That means it will be off entirely for three weeks and I seem to recall seeing a press release that ABC would be pre-empting the Tuesday Selfie timeslot in December for specials, so yeah my guess is the last episode of Selfie that aired will be the last episode of Selfie to air.

RJDiogenes

#25 Post by RJDiogenes » November 14th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Ah, well, that's good news for The Mindy Project, anyway.