2014/15: Renewals/cancels/& back order thread!(US Broadcast)

Latest breaking news and comments along with posters reviews

Moderators: PhoenixHope, Grim

RJDiogenes

Re: 2014/15: Renewals/cancels/& back order thread!(US Broadcast)

#51 Post by RJDiogenes » January 15th, 2015, 11:31 pm

PhoenixHope wrote:The fresh renewal news is that CBS has renewed NCIS: New Orleans,
That's three successful series for Scott Bakula. Nice career.
PS - To the surprise of none (unless I suppose you live under a rock) FOX has renewed The Simpsons for another season.
That's, what, 107 now? :D
No it won't air until after The 100 ends in March when Supernatural will move to Wednesday after Arrow and iZombie will premiere and air behind The Flash.
So poor iZombie is dead before it's even undead.
I know and it's a bit weird, because with renewing eight (more really if you count the Friday reality renewals) the CW really hasn't left themselves much space for new stuff next season. I mean sure some of the reality stuff and The 100 are shorter seasons (at least I'm assuming The 100 will still be not a full season show), but still that doesn't leave the CW lots of room for new shows, unless the coming season is the one where Mark-P starts trying to experiment with having new shows all year-long.
Maybe they want to get rid of the reality shows. Haha. Just kidding. New shows all year long is the best way to go. Reruns will be more and more useless with stuff like Hulu and Netflix around.
Come visit RJDiogenes.com :) And check out My Gallery :) And My YouTube Page :)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#52 Post by PhoenixHope » January 16th, 2015, 2:03 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
PhoenixHope wrote:PS - To the surprise of none (unless I suppose you live under a rock) FOX has renewed The Simpsons for another season.
That's, what, 107 now? :D
I don't know if it's that many, but I do know The Simpsons was on when I was in high school (I remember this because one of my long-term high school boyfriends who apparently didn't know me all that well and bought me a framed Simpsons picture for one of my birthdays - until that point I'd never heard of the show let alone watched it by this time I've watched many (though certainly not all) The Simpsons episode including the movie) and I haven't been in high school for a really long time.

Seriously, though I've probably watched about five seasons until I found myself getting annoyed that Bart, Lisa, and Maggie just wasn't growing up. Yes, when I was younger that bothered me - now I could probably just enjoy the show, but back then not so much.
(In fact I know I could, because I watch South Park all the time and have never been bothered at the fact that those guys are never ever gonna grow up.)
RJDiogenes wrote:
PhoenixHope wrote:No it won't air until after The 100 ends in March when Supernatural will move to Wednesday after Arrow and iZombie will premiere and air behind The Flash.
So poor iZombie is dead before it's even undead
Actually, this says to me that iZombie is the show the CW has the most faith in - they are moving things (Supernatural) around to give iZombie the biggest lead-in they have The Flash. Where on the other hand The Messengers is getting exiled to Friday (before airing even one episode and while leaving low-rated Reign and Jane the Virgin during the week), which indicates little to no faith in its chances.
RJDiogenes wrote:Maybe they want to get rid of the reality shows. Haha. Just kidding. New shows all year long is the best way to go. Reruns will be more and more useless with stuff like Hulu and Netflix around.
Doubtful -- on getting rid of the reality. Though I have heard some talk about the CW considering programming Saturdays (not necessarily in the coming season just sometime in the future) and if they did that then I could see the reality stuff getting moving to Saturday leaving the CW Monday thru Friday open for scripted stuff.

The problem with the idea of programming some of their scripted stuff in summer is that networks have the rep of saving their crap and tossing it out during the summer and that's not an entirely unfair rep though certainly not all summer programming even by the networks is crap. But for the CW to go that route and get taken seriously means they'd probably have to put a couple of A-game players in the summer.

Or at the very least pull an ABCFamily and split seasons with some of the season airing over the summer, which would probably be their best option. What I mean is that for example The Flash is the biggest hit the CW has had since The Vampire Diaries so we shall be using The Flash as an example of the CWs A-game here - I'm not saying or implying that the following is what the CW would or will do.

But lets say they are serious about year around programming then they have to make a serious go of it and not half-ass it with low-rated cheap dramas or cheap reality. So, they premiere The Flash in the fall of 2015 and then air eleven episodes then it goes into a mid-season hiatus until June of 2016 when they air the last eleven episodes of season two. Now the problem with that example is that could actually end up hurting the ratings of The Flash. But the other side of the coin is (as I said) putting their already low-rated Beauty and the Beasts and Reigns on during the summer and I think it's safe to say those shows are not going to see their ratings improve by airing out of season - it's also safe to say those low-ratings they are getting now would likely go at least slightly lower.

On the other hand, I suppose they could do this with their medium rated shows - such as The Originals and The Vampire Diaries which is a middle ground between throwing their high rated shows over a potential cliff and tossing their low-rated stuff to summer and somehow hoping those already low-raters will somehow entice viewers that the shows can't entice during the season. But where The Flash could live with slightly lower numbers shows like The Originals and The Vampire Diaries might not be able to survive that.

Well, I think I finally got the post formatted correctly - apparently I shouldn't try fancy formatting because it takes more tries than is pretty to get it done properly.
Tim (needs lighter): ...and none of you smoke.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#53 Post by RJDiogenes » January 16th, 2015, 11:44 pm

That's a pretty good strategy-- basically migrating into the Summer months in stages. Or they could do something similar to SHIELD and Agent Carter, and schedule a new show that spins out of a hit-- easy to do with their developing DC Universe.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#54 Post by PhoenixHope » January 17th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Yeah, but it's not a sure fire way either - it could work, or it could kill whichever shows the CW tries it with. So either way it's a gamble that if it worked would have people claiming Mark-P a genius, but would get him labeled an idiot if it failed and possibly have him out of a job.

But it does seem like Mark-P is gonna give summer a try, though I'm starting to wonder if it's more likely he just renewed everything because it's possible the coming season could be the CWs last.

You see, some of the contracts the CW has with Tribune affiliates expire sometime in 2016 and it seems more and more likely those affiliates are increasingly unlikely to resign with the CW, so that could be a reason why the CW simply said "fuck it!" and renewed practically everything instead of taking a gamble on new shows and hoping for another The Flash because while a couple more shows that could draw The Flash type ratings would be far more likely to encourage resigning you just can never tell whether or not a new show will strike ratings gold.
Art (looks at armada): Nobody smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito. What's wrong with you people!
(per capita in KY toss a cat u'll hit a smoker! So that's where Justified puts the fiction in the show.)

RJDiogenes

#55 Post by RJDiogenes » January 17th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Yikes. I would kind of feel bad for them if that happened. I wonder if they have any alternate plans, like bypassing broadcast altogether and becoming a cable channel, like TNT or Sciffy; or if they can survive in a way by distributing their products through Hulu and NetFlix and so on.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#56 Post by PhoenixHope » January 18th, 2015, 12:16 am

Well, I don't know how true it is so this next bit shouldn't be taken as gospel. Anyway some of those Tribune stations are reported to be in larger areas and some rumors have suggested that if those Tribune stations don't resign then some of the alt CBS stations in those areas would simply take over the airing of CW programming. Meaning the CW is likely to go on and not actually end even if those contracts are not renewed, but the big ass recent renewal from the CW could (and does) make one wonder if the CW itself thinks the game might be ending soon. It is either that or they are about to get serious about trying to program summer - I personally think the latter is more likely, but the first could certainly be possible.

Still the reason I think CBS using alt channels in those areas to take over CW programming is one of the likely outcomes (remember Big CBS is half owner of the CW so it could be that Big CBS would "encourage" the little CBSs in those areas to do it) is because my very own area could hardly be considered large let alone one of the larger areas of the country, but a few years ago when Big FOX decided the little FOX in my area wasn't making them enough money and cut our FOX (the channel then spent some time as simply a local station before the local ABC picked it up to be one of their alt channels and then later used that channel to pick up CW programming shortly after the original CW affiliate for this area went off-air) it didn't take long for our CBS to strike a deal with the Big FOX to air FOX programming in my area on one of their alt CBS channels. So if my small area has a CBS with alt channels then certainly CBSs in larger areas are very likely to alt channels.

Nice and confusing, yes. The point is that if a little area like mine has stations with alt channels and local channels then certainly in larger viewing areas there would be stations there with their own alt channels or even local channels that could see the benefits of being associated with a network even a small one like the CW. So if those Tribune affiliates don't resign when their time is up instead of the CW going off-air or transitioning to cable some other alt/local channel for that area is likely to sign on to air CW programming. Meaning (basically) that the CW will go on and probably mostly in the same way it is now.

Now:

News for the FOX:

So, as expected Gotham has been renewed for another season along with Brooklyn Nine Nine (the ratings improved dramatically for this one with the Sunday move), and Empire. The latter did premiere well, but one could argue that perhaps FOX jumped the gun with this one, though not only did it premiere well it actually rose ratings-wise in its second episode and so I would imagine since FOX hasn't exactly had a stellar season they wanted to strike while the iron was hot.

Also it seems the CW isn't the only network considering summer, because apparently FOX considered moving low-rated Red Band Society to summer - they say the only reason this didn't happen was because ABC (the studio that makes the show) refused to lower the license fee for the show. Alas, still no news on Sleepy Hollow, but I'd think since FOX is apparently seriously considering an X-Files revival ("conversations" are actually happening it appears) it seems likely Sleepy Hollow will at least score a third season, though based on season two ratings it might behoove the people behind Sleepy Hollow to write season three as if it's the last.

PS - For those wondering there are no plans yet for a 24 revival, but rumors make it seem that's more because the cast and crew aren't interested over FOX not being interested, because I've heard rumors that suggest a Prison Break revival is not outside the realm of possibility so if FOX is considering that you know they've thought about 24.

PPS - Sadly, I'd probably watch the new X-Files even though the news does not thrill or excite me, but I know I'd watch if they can get David and Gillian back and would probably at least give it a try even if they couldn't. However, I believe over the years (and having made a movie or two backs the rumors up a bit) both David and Gillian have expressed interest in doing more X-Files so getting them involved probably wouldn't be that hard, except the fact that they both have other shows now, though it probably wouldn't be impossible for Gillian to work around her Hannibal filming schedule, but I don't know about David or his schedule.

RJDiogenes

#57 Post by RJDiogenes » January 18th, 2015, 10:10 pm

I imagine a new X-Files would be somewhat like The Librarians-- a new cast, with Duchovny and Anderson popping up from time to time.

I've read that Fox is making changes to Sleepy Hollow to try to save it. They seem to at least understand that the chemistry between Abby and Ichabod is the star of the show. I hope they can squeeze at least one more season out of it, because I really love the two of them.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#58 Post by PhoenixHope » February 5th, 2015, 4:55 am

Okay, while not officially canceled CBS has pulled The McCarthys off the schedule making it all but officially canceled at this point. And at least for the next two weeks it's reported that reruns of The Big Bang Theory will air in the slot.
(For the record, CBS has said yes the show isn't on the schedule anymore right now, but no it's not canceled.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#59 Post by PhoenixHope » February 6th, 2015, 2:12 am

YAY!

NBC has renewed The Blacklist (season three), Chicago Fire (season four), Chicage P.D. (season three), Law & Order: SVU (season seventeen), aaaaand Grimm (season five). The latter being, of course, where my YAY came from, because I don't watch any of the others. And to be honest, I was a bit iffy on whether or not Grimm would be renewed this time (not as iffy as I currently am with Sleepy Hollow, but iffy) -- I mean my gut said NBC had bigger fish to fry and so it should be renewed, but it's ratings have slipped a bit so I couldn't be sure if my gut might simply be indulging in a bit of wishful thinking.

Hell, at this point I may not have to make a renew/cancel guess post this season, which might be a good thing since I may not have internet access in late April when I usually post my final guesses. Yes, I usually do one in Feb., but honestly I don't want to do a "medium" one when I might not be online to make changes later.

RJDiogenes

#60 Post by RJDiogenes » February 7th, 2015, 12:15 am

I hope you are still online. :(

It amazes me that Grimm made it to five years. It beat Enterprise! Good for them. The little show that could. :D

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#61 Post by PhoenixHope » February 14th, 2015, 12:34 am

And now in news from the extremely weird - once again the CW has renewed Beauty and the Beast for another season.
February 13, 2015 (Burbank, CA) — The third season of fan favorite drama Beauty And The Beast will begin its 13-episode run on Thursday, May 21 (8:00-9:00 pm ET) on The CW Network. In addition, The CW announced today that Beauty And The Beast has also been renewed a fourth season, which will air later the 2015-2016 season.
Seriously, right now even on a Friday currently unrenewed Hart of Dixie is scoring ratings that are just as good as already renewed Reign and certainly rating better than Beauty and the Beast last time it aired. Basically, I'm saying right now if I was a Hart of Dixie fan I'd be feeling pretty damn bitter.

What the hell is going on with the CW?!

In much less weird news FOX has ordered eight more episodes of Worst Funniest Fails.

RJDiogenes

#62 Post by RJDiogenes » February 14th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Somebody on Beauty & The Beast must be sleeping with somebody important.

And I have news, too! The Librarians has been renewed for a second season of ten episodes.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#63 Post by PhoenixHope » February 14th, 2015, 11:30 pm

*shrug*

I don't know, but I think I am starting to lean in that direction.

Seriously this new renewal kinda blows my previous theory/thoughts out of whack. I'd finally figured that Beauty and the Beast got a season three renewal because it was heavily rumored that CBS when doing overseas sales sold a block of three seasons in one package before one episode even aired - meaning CBS needed three seasons to keep up their end of the deal.

And I suppose that could still be true since B&tB only got thirteen episodes for season three would mean that another thirteen season would equal three normal seasons.

But honestly at this point I'm starting to wonder if Beauty and the Beast is somehow going to still be airing new episodes even after all the other current CW shows has gone the way of the Dodo bird.
RJDiogenes wrote:And I have news, too! The Librarians has been renewed for a second season of ten episodes.
Cool, though I've never heard of it, but I'm guessing it's something you're watching.

RJDiogenes

#64 Post by RJDiogenes » February 15th, 2015, 11:26 pm

Yeah, it's on TNT. It's a spinoff of the Librarian movies that Noah Wylie did a while back. It has a new cast, with Wylie making the occasional appearance.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#65 Post by PhoenixHope » March 4th, 2015, 2:38 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
PhoenixHope wrote:No, you are right - Lost Girl will be airing a final season in Canada, but I've heard nothing about SyFy picking said final season up to air in the US. And last season SyFy started airing Lost Girl in November and since there's been no news I'm thinking SyFy isn't planning to air said final season.
Oh, I see. That would be terrible. Maybe they're just negotiating.
Well, it would appear the final season of Lost Girl will be airing on SyFy, though sadly I have not heard great things about said final season.

Anyway, saw earlier today that Lost Girl will start airing again Friday, April 17 at 10PM.
Press Release wrote:In the first eight episodes of the popular series’ fifth and final season, Bo (Anna Silk) is determined to do the impossible: drag her bestie out of the underworld. Convinced her elusive and undeniably evil father is responsible for luring Kenzi (Ksenia Solo) to her death, Bo will stop at nothing until she succeeds. But in the world of the Fae, nothing is ever as it seems -- and the after-life is no exception.

Returning to the cast for Season 5 are stars Kris Holden-Ried as Light Fae shape-shifter Dyson, Zoie Palmer as human doctor Lauren, Rick Howland as Bo's ancient and secretive grandfather Trick and Rachel Skarsten as Valkyrie warrior Tamsin. Returning guest stars include Paul Amos and Emmanuelle Vaugier.
And I think I'm not the only one to notice a key name missing from that line-up.

RJDiogenes

#66 Post by RJDiogenes » March 4th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Indeed. :( Hopefully the quest will be successful and she'll turn up eventually. I hope she doesn't really die.

This is kind of a coincidence. I was just thinking about Lost Girl today.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#67 Post by PhoenixHope » March 6th, 2015, 9:25 pm

And NBC has canceled Allegiance, moves The Slap (which currently airs at 8PM will shift) to Thursdays at 10PM, with Dateline: The Real Blacklist to start Thursdays at 8PM beginning March 12, leading into The Blacklist at 9 PM.

Soon NBC will be mostly airing all The Voice and Dateline with The Blacklist, Grimm, and a couple Chicagos (Fire and P.D.) just to break up the airings of The Voice and Dateline at least a little bit. *grin*

Oh and I didn't mention it, but recently there was rumors that FOX renewed Empire, which honestly should not be a surprise to anyone. It started with an easily renewable 3.8 A18-49 rating (that left it plenty of room to fall and still be renewed) and scored a 5.8 A18-49 for the most recent episode. It WILL certainly be renewed even though officially FOX hasn't done so yet considering it's gone up every episode since the pilot except one.

PS - NBC has announced a premiere date for Hannibal and clearly they've turned it into a summer show -- that may be good news for the future of the show. Anyway, Hannibal returns June 4 at 10PM.

RJDiogenes

#68 Post by RJDiogenes » March 7th, 2015, 12:11 am

Wow. I didn't realize Empire was such a hit. But those kinds of shows are big now. Revenge, Scandal, et cetera. Apparently there's a Soap Opera revival going on.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#69 Post by PhoenixHope » March 8th, 2015, 7:53 pm

*coughs* While you're not entirely wrong -- Revenge can hardly be considered a big hit anymore. In fact it is more likely than not to be canceled at the end of the current season (unless ABC found themselves needing/wanting some kind of Sunday filler and to be honest with current Revenge ratings they'd probably be better off just trying something else). And to be honest, it wasn't a hit last season either but simply hung on enough to score a renewal for the current season.

Revenge is basically one of those that started big but was just never quite able after the first season to hang on to said audience and slowly but surely kept losing viewers.

However, you are totally correct when it comes to Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, and several others though. They are fairly big and likely to hang around for a few years.

RJDiogenes

#70 Post by RJDiogenes » March 8th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought: Dallas, et al, for the 21st century.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#71 Post by PhoenixHope » March 12th, 2015, 12:00 am

And now it's time for CBS to start the early renewals -- okay, they started awhile back by renewing all their freshman drama class except Stalker (which to date still hasn't been renewed and isn't likely to be renewed), but today they've done some comedies.

Mike & Molly will see another seaosn as well as Mom. And you can also expect 2 Broke Girls and probably The Odd Couple to be renewed as well -- But do not be fooled there's nothing remotely official on those last two yet.
(Also, just in case there's some who don't know this - last season (I belive) CBS renewed The Big Bang Theory for three seasons - ergo, CBS won't renew The Big Bang Theory for next season during this season because they already did it last season.)

This could mean the CBS is about to announce massive renewals of shows over the coming days.

Also, while I don't usually note these the CW has set finale dates for several shows:
(Though I do tend to use this info personally just to figure out how many more reruns my CW shows will have before the season ends.)

The Originals and Jane the Virgin will season finale on May 11. The Flash will season finale May 19. There's no news on when iZombie starting next Tuesday will finale out for the season, though.

Arrow will season finale out on May 13, while Supernatural will season finale on May 20. Finally, The Vampire Diaries and Reign will season finale out on May 14. No news on yet to premiere The Messangers. And despite what I originally said here - Hart of Dixie isn't ending yet, because I just checked an episode guide and even NEXT Friday is listed as a new one and not listed as a finale even then -- so I got no idea when it ends for the season (series).
(and I know conventional wisdom says Hart of Dixie won't be renewed, but considering it's beating already renewed Reign in the ratings, and isn't that much lower than already renewed The 100, but mostly because this is the same network that keeps renewing so badly rated I don't really have a good word for it Beauty and the Beast I just can't bring myself to count Hart of Dixie out yet.)

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#72 Post by PhoenixHope » March 12th, 2015, 7:49 pm

AND now it's official - CBS has renewed 2 Broke Girls in addition to Mike & Molly and Mom to the surprise of no one. *grin*

And as I mentioned and today's press release confirmed - The Big Bang Theory is renewed through the 2016/17 season. So it won't get (or need) another renewal until sometime during the 2016/17 television season.

Oh and in cable news while I don't watch some here might so SyFy has renewed 12 Monkeys for another season.

And also regarding Hart of Dixie apparently some of the comments from crew members are giving the impression show is ending instead of just pausing for a summer break. Though sometimes crew/cast says/thinks one thing and then network does another, which is possible in this case especially with the CW clearly wanting to air more original programming all year long.

RJDiogenes

#73 Post by RJDiogenes » March 12th, 2015, 11:16 pm

I'm surprised about 12 Monkeys-- I haven't seen it, but I heard it wasn't doing too well.

And The Odd Couple? Is that another remake of the classic show? I hadn't heard of it before.

PhoenixHope
Administrators

#74 Post by PhoenixHope » March 13th, 2015, 3:01 am

RJDiogenes wrote:I'm surprised about 12 Monkeys-- I haven't seen it, but I heard it wasn't doing too well.
*shrugs* Since I haven't been watching it I haven't been keeping up with the ratings - when it comes to cable shows I only keep up with (or try to keep up with) ratings for the shows that I watch.

Still it's apparently doing well enough to satisfy SyFy since they renewed it.
RJDiogenes wrote:And The Odd Couple? Is that another remake of the classic show? I hadn't heard of it before.
Another shrug here - I think it's supposed to be, but I never watched the original The Odd Couple so I had no real interest in trying the new one. But since I do watch a few CBS shows I did know it was coming a bit before it premiered a couple (three) weeks ago.
(Speaking of the CW is really pushing iZombie - I've seen promos for that on at least THREE different cable networks including ABCFamily, SyFy, and I can't remember the other one but it was during one of the basketball games I was watching this week, so...)

RJDiogenes

#75 Post by RJDiogenes » March 13th, 2015, 10:38 pm

I've been seeing the iZombie promos, too. That's a lot of promotion for a show that seems dead in the water-- no pun intended. :D

And I'm glad Sciffy has such low standards for renewal-- I probably would have lost a lot of my favorite shows sooner otherwise. :lol: