Check-In 112:Heptagonal Copernicium

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In 112:Heptagonal Copernicium

Post by scottydog »

Happy Wednesday, everyone :hello:

Today I'll teach my classes and finish my taxes. That almost sounds like a poem :lol: I'm also trying to get back into the habit of going to the gym a few days a week, and today's a good day for that.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:36 am
Can't forget Trash Day, can't forget Trash Day....
It's on my iphone calendar and so I can't forget. However, our recycling pickup day is not on my calendar and on I occasion I forget to put the recycling tub out for pickup.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Don't expect much. :lol:
I loved Wintry Stars, and I'm curious how you found all those images and clips. Was the music itself created on Garageband? Really well done :clap:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:49 am
...some re new and desperte for income....
Those are probably the most problemetic as a group.
Yes, exactly, I wouldn't want someone caring for me if they're only doing the job for the money. I understand money is important but helping people should be the primary motivation.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

^ exactly. there are two types of carer - those that care about the vients and those that care about the wage.
went back to clean for J again today - she was happy to see me, and her two dog are both plump as ever and happy to see me. im off to the plot after lunch - then will do a bit if this n thating about the place...
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Shopping day. :shopping:
scottydog wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 am
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm
Got called over to a friend's house today as he needed notary witnesses or something. He's becoming a care-giver for an ex of his as their kid dumped her on him last month.
Whoa. Caring for an ex sounds nightmarish :no:
She has dementia but she seemed pretty good natured yesterday.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Can't forget Trash Day, can't forget Trash Day....
Don't forget Trash Day. :thinking:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm
Got called over to a friend's house today as he needed notary witnesses or something. He's becoming a care-giver for an ex of his as their kid dumped her on him last month.
That's unbelievable. :no:
Yeah, apparently the kid gave him the heartwarming ultimatum of taking her in or he'd put her in a home.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

^ :(
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I have tomorrow off, but it's for a couple of doctor appointments. Luckily the second one is Telehealth, so I'll still have most of the day for myself.
scottydog wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am
It's on my iphone calendar and so I can't forget. However, our recycling pickup day is not on my calendar and on I occasion I forget to put the recycling tub out for pickup.
You should put Recycling Day in your iPhone, too. See how quick I am with the useful advice? This is why people want me to live on a mountaintop.
I loved Wintry Stars, and I'm curious how you found all those images and clips. Was the music itself created on Garageband? Really well done :clap:
Thank you. The astronomical images are all NASA and the video clips are all mine, artificially aged (the house is where my Mother lives). The music was created on Garageband in pieces and assembled in Audacity. I don't have the hang of the tracks feature in Garageband.

Here's another one.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:20 am
went back to clean for J again today - she was happy to see me, and her two dog are both plump as ever and happy to see me.
That must be one of your favorite places to go. They really like you there.
Lupine wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm
That's good. emma is getting harder and harder to handle.
Don't forget Trash Day. :thinking:
I forgot Trash Day! Just kidding. I even remembered to get the stuff out of my trunk that my Mother wanted to throw away.
Yeah, apparently the kid gave him the heartwarming ultimatum of taking her in or he'd put her in a home.
Unfortunately, that is sometimes best. It's not easy taking care of someone with dementia.

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah, we'll see what comes of this. :no:
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

Frustrations at work; however, there is light at the end of the tunnel as some noobs are coming on board the next two weeks. I am excited and relieved.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Today was a tiring teaching day. I'm about to nod off :sleep:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm
You never know. She could be a very hard person to care for. I give him a lot of credit for taking this on.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 pm
Luckily the second one is Telehealth, so I'll still have most of the day for myself.
Well played, RJ. Well played.
RJDiogenes wrote:
The astronomical images are all NASA and the video clips are all mine, artificially aged (the house is where my Mother lives). The music was created on Garageband in pieces and assembled in Audacity. I don't have the hang of the tracks feature in Garageband.
Really nice work. I have a long way to go.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Here's another one.
Another gem!
Gary wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:28 pm
Frustrations at work; however, there is light at the end of the tunnel as some noobs are coming on board the next two weeks. I am excited and relieved.
Glad the noobs can lessen the frustration!
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM,
That's good. emma is getting harder and harder to handle.
:( Poor Emma....Dad got that way at the end...
wor ahead - working with two good carers/drivers today, so as long as nothing major happens to the clients it should be a happy days work ahead
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Two doctors are on my agenda for today. At least I got to laze around in bed for a while.
Gary wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:28 pm
It's fun to mold noobs. :D
scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 am
Well played, RJ. Well played.
Hopefully I can get through them quickly. "How do you feel?" "Great, thanks, bye."
Really nice work. I have a long way to go.
Thank you. :)
Another gem!
Thanks. Maybe I'll dig up some Rock'n'Roll for today. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:53 am
:( Poor Emma....Dad got that way at the end...
I feel bad because the carers at the assisted living place just know her as a cranky old lady who screams and hates everybody. They don't know her like I know her. :(
wor ahead - working with two good carers/drivers today, so as long as nothing major happens to the clients it should be a happy days work ahead
I hope they hire some new people soon for you to train.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Happy Thursday, all :hello:

Today I'll work on the Encyclopedia project for a while, grade papers, and then maybe go out and his some golf balls. Oh, and I'm still working on our taxes -- yuck. :as:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:53 am
Poor Emma....Dad got that way at the end...
I remember how hard it was for you to care for your dad toward the end. You really showed your true heroic colors.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:35 am
I feel bad because the carers at the assisted living place just know her as a cranky old lady who screams and hates everybody. They don't know her like I know her. :(
That's so true. She led an amazing life, served our country, and has struggled with getting the care she deserves from the country she sacrificed so much for.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Two doctors are on my agenda for today.
Two? Are you so physically decrepit that you need a team of doctors working on you? :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
At least I got to laze around in bed for a while.
Yes, I noticed you slept in. That's a good thing.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thanks. Maybe I'll dig up some Rock'n'Roll for today. :lol:
Yes, please do, if you can. I need to explore your Youtube page more thoroughly.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

It is Curling Iron day! :dance:

I have a lovely lady from the church coming in to help me. I want to at least get the rummage room organized before summer. I'll be taking a break from this, so that I can spend my Thursdays in the lazy river at Cedar Pointe.

I also have to take my car to the dealer for some maintenance work.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

feel bad because the carers at the assisted living place just know her as a cranky old lady who screams and hates everybody. They don't know her like I know her.
if they are good carers, they will understand surely? dont they have any training in the US? are they not aware of dementia problems - and how important it is to give time to clients to talk with them and make sure they feel they have been listened to properly? that is a part of caring, to me....not just wash your bum and wave byebye like the lazy ones.
I remember how hard it was for you to care for your dad toward the end. You really showed your true heroic colors.
it did get hard - prim arily as i had had n o expeirnece of his conditions and was learning as i went. being family i had a different style riole to play...i was daughter as well as carer/cleaner/cook/secretary/and more.it was very hard at the end as his needs grew, but there were good times too - and if i had n ot had that experience, i would have been a worse carer now - now i have seen how hard it can get, i undertand how it is fro the families of our clients when they are that way...and how the client wants to feel/be treated. im n o saint, but i do try to use what i have learned and learn more....and i do try to treat the clients with respect and frinedliness - several have commented that im always smiling - i was that way when i began my nurse training back in 1987...and its whyy they like our latest carer as she is often chuckling, singing to herself, smiling...and she treeats them like people - n ot lumps.

anyways 6 calls done 3 to go this evening and a 2.5 hr lunch break! :thumbsup:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Trash Day! :recycle:
Also I might price some toilet parts as I managed to get a new toilet for the hall bathroom. :toilet: Never installed a toilet before, so this should be fun once I get to it. :unsure:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Two doctors are on my agenda for today. At least I got to laze around in bed for a while.
Good luck.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Or when I met her. :no:
Cayla wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am
We have a new day to the week!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Aside from my two appointments, I got to work on a couple of projects, do some writing, actually finish my web comic two days early, and I even did some cleaning. I'm turning into Cayla. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:57 am
That's so true. She led an amazing life, served our country, and has struggled with getting the care she deserves from the country she sacrificed so much for.
The VA does a lot for her, but this kind of thing seems to be a blind spot for them.
Two? Are you so physically decrepit that you need a team of doctors working on you? :lol:
Well... yeah. :oldman:
Yes, I noticed you slept in. That's a good thing.
I didn't sleep, just lazed, but it was definitely good.
Yes, please do, if you can. I need to explore your Youtube page more thoroughly.
Well, this one is pretty short, because it was an early experiment, but I kind of like it.
Cayla wrote:
At last!
I'll be taking a break from this, so that I can spend my Thursdays in the lazy river at Cedar Pointe.
Is that the Amusement Park? Do you go on any of the rides or anything?
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm
if they are good carers, they will understand surely?
They understand, but they'll never know who she really is.
Lupine wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Good luck.
Thanks. Everything went well. My kidney doctor works with my SIL, and he's met Mark, so he was genuinely upset about that.
She'd be fine with you, because she remembers you and likes you, but you'd really notice how she's reverted to a very childlike state. But if you heard her while she's in the assisted-living place, you'd be stunned at how she talks about the people there.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Today was fun because of how shockingly little I did :lol:
Cayla wrote:
...so that I can spend my Thursdays in the lazy river at Cedar Pointe.
I'd kill to float down a lazy river on a warm sunny day for a couple of hours....
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm
it did get hard - prim arily as i had had n o expeirnece of his conditions and was learning as i went.
Did you consult books and/or experts? Or did you just observe and learn on your own?
Lupine wrote:
I might price some toilet parts as I managed to get a new toilet for the hall bathroom. :toilet: Never installed a toilet before, so this should be fun once I get to it. :unsure:
Toilets have always baffled me. I've replaced a few parts now and then, such as the lever-thingy and the suction thingy, but overall they are myserious persnicketty beasts. :toilet:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:43 pm
Well, this one is pretty short, because it was an early experiment, but I kind of like it.
I like Take a Run, too :yes: Great instrumental, but where's your vocal track? Remember, William Shatner never let not being able to sing stop him :lol:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:43 pm
She'd be fine with you, because she remembers you and likes you, but you'd really notice how she's reverted to a very childlike state. But if you heard her while she's in the assisted-living place, you'd be stunned at how she talks about the people there.
:no:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:02 pm
Lupine wrote:
I might price some toilet parts as I managed to get a new toilet for the hall bathroom. :toilet: Never installed a toilet before, so this should be fun once I get to it. :unsure:
Toilets have always baffled me. I've replaced a few parts now and then, such as the lever-thingy and the suction thingy, but overall they are myserious persnicketty beasts. :toilet:
From the YouTube videos I've seen it looks fairly straight-forward, but I know something will cause a holdup.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 pm
From the YouTube videos I've seen it looks fairly straight-forward, but I know something will cause a holdup.
For me the obvious holdup would be my complete ineptitude :lol:
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

RJDiogenes wrote:
It's fun to mold noobs. :D
Why do I keep reading that as "moobs"? :conf: :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 pm
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
As long as there is no floor rot, it's an easy thing to do, unless you are my ex, then if it can go wrong, it'll go wrong. :lol:

Okay, I am partly caught up. I can't read it all (see moobs) because my brain is not cooperating and words hurt. ;)

It's been windy (March, kite flying month, but too windy to fly kites. April, too), so son hasn't gone on the roof to measure, so I can't order roofing, yet. Haven't heard from the guy who did the furnace, to fix the well pump, so no water yet. But I've been able to work in the house again since the temp is up to 50's inside. I'm trying to finish sorting in the big bedroom, so I can start moving things we are keeping into there. That way the living/dining room can be emptied and we can work on the ceiling (in all, we have to redo that room, the kitchen, den, one bedroom and master bedroom ceilings). Once we get that done (and roof and water) we can move in and finish the rest while we live there.
I discovered (forgot) that I didn't really look at everything stashed away in the big bedroom (first time through was very cursory), so it's another treasure hunt. found a set of keys to the house and to a couple of the old cars, still on the leather Capricorn key ring I gave my mother for x-mas one year (probably around 1978), it was stashed in an old purse.
Tuesday I found a Mother's day "card" my oldest brother wrote up for her, it said on the cover: HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
Then inside first page: Happy Mother's Day!!
second page:
Sorry no wraping
(But there's ribbon)

Hope you like
The present
It's all I could
Present.

Signed:
Everybody
Here
Eric & Liz
Lisa & Kevin & Dad

on the back it says:
Hope you
Have fun
Today
and
Always!!

"wraping" obviously is missing a "p", but knowing my oldest brother's spelling atrocities, it made me chuckle. I have no idea what ribbon he meant, possibly he tied ribbon on it or we gave her a spool of ribbon for sewing projects? I'm going to scan it and send it to him, see if he remembers.
My son got a chuckle out of the poem. :D
Liz was his g/f or fiance at the time so it was probably around 1965 or 6, of course then wife, then ex-wife. She remained a part of our family until we lost her to cancer in 1990.
My name was spelled "Lisa" by the family until I decided it should be spelled "Lissa" since my name is: Melissa.
Wednesday I went through a trash bag of old clothes. Found my old swimsuit, by old, I mean I wore it when I was about 3. The color alone made me think it was my suit and when I pulled it out, it was. That got me thinking about the time I walked out of the kiddie pool area (just had a gate I could open), straight to the big pool and jumped in. I have a vague memory of my mother telling me to stay where I was, that she'd be right back, but I was 3 and had thoughts of my own. So I opened the gate and walked to the big pool. I yelled: "Daddy!" just before I stepped off the edge. I think I stepped in at, or near, the 3 foot level, but I still went under water. I remember the water rushing around me and holding my breath, then the next thing I remember are my dad's hands lifting me straight up out of the water. After that, I can hear my mother yelling. I don't know if she was yelling at me or Dad, just yelling. :D
Anything else? Oh, hay defies the law of gravity. I think that about covers the time I was away. :D
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM.
Did you consult books and/or experts? Or did you just observe and learn on your own?
not really - i was a member of an oniline forum for unpaid carers who look after family members at the time and also able to research a few basics online.

ahead, shopping with L thanks to my helpful son and no thanks to my un helpful former bank.
(My old bank refuses to close my account/switch my funds to my new one, unless i go to a bran ch - and there not beign a local bra nch is ONE reasons im closing the account...
so i have to syphon out MY money a few hundred at a time by debit card withdrawals at the post office/an atm until they get my angry letter and close my account OR i manage to get to LH at a time banks ar eopen and they do what i ask....just in case my old card is now no good also (dont trust the old bank at all) my son has advance paid 200 into my new account...that he doesnt owe me yet....) some bank - i cant pay bills, cant access online banking and they wont let me transfer my money to a new bank so i can access it!!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

It's Friday! :bounce:
scottydog wrote:
I like Take a Run, too :yes: Great instrumental, but where's your vocal track? Remember, William Shatner never let not being able to sing stop him :lol:
I think that would be jumping the Megalodon. :lol:
Elara wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:02 am
Molding moobs would not be so much fun. :no:
Haven't heard from the guy who did the furnace, to fix the well pump, so no water yet.
I wonder if these handyman types are now getting overwhelmed with work now that more and more people are getting vaccinated.
I discovered (forgot) that I didn't really look at everything stashed away in the big bedroom (first time through was very cursory), so it's another treasure hunt.
That's some great stuff, especially the old card. It's like time travel.
I think I stepped in at, or near, the 3 foot level, but I still went under water. I remember the water rushing around me and holding my breath, then the next thing I remember are my dad's hands lifting me straight up out of the water.
I remember a similar experience while on vacation in New Hampshire at about the same age. I had a circular floaty with a dragon's head that I put in the pool at the edge and decided to jump on it like the Lone Ranger jumps on his horse. Of course, it flipped over and I went under, and sank to the bottom like a rock because I'm all skin and bones. I remember being surrounded by bubbles as water filled my nose. My Father pulled me out and my Mother said, "Don't do that again!" I said, "Why would I do that again?" :lol:
Anything else? Oh, hay defies the law of gravity.
That explains Pigs In Space. :D
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:43 am
some bank - i cant pay bills, cant access online banking and they wont let me transfer my money to a new bank so i can access it!!
They promised that your money would be transferred by yesterday and then refused to do it?

:tea:"

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Happy Friday, everyone :hello:

Today a few more Zoom meetings and work on the Encyclopedia. At 2pm The Wife and I have a meeting with our financial advisor, mostly to see if we're still on track to retire in about 8 months. Tonight some vaccinated friends are having a corn hole party -- we'll probably go because the weather should be nice.
Elara wrote:
Well, if you are a guy like me, you see the word "boobs" :lol:
Elara wrote:
Tuesday I found a Mother's day "card" my oldest brother wrote up for her, it said on the cover: HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
I love finding old treasure like this. Nostalgia is fun :yes:
Elara wrote:
My name was spelled "Lisa" by the family until I decided it should be spelled "Lissa" since my name is: Melissa.
That's awesome. The only unique way to spell my name would be Scot with one "T" :loopy:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:54 am
I think that would be jumping the Megalodon. :lol:
I suspected a Megaladon was a huge shark and I was right. :guffaw: :shark:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

I had help yesterday from another church friend, Sandy. She and I always work well together. I haven't been able to work or spend time with her since before the pandemic. It was so nice to have someone to chat and work with for a change. We did three times the amount that I had set out to accomplish. When I arrived at the church, 2 police cars were hanging out in the parking lot. Sandy, Garth, and I were the last to leave, and we noticed another window had a rock thrown through it, so we had to call the police. The policeman, who arrived, said he was in the parking lot until noon, so it must have been done between then and 3:00pm. This window was just fixed from the last incident. It has now happened three time in the past month. I find it interesting, since the court summons came out on Tuesday...

I then went to my car appointment to find that it is not until today. Oy! After work, I will take my car in to the dealer. After that, I have an evening online conference, that my friend Sue and another friend of hers also signed up. We are going to watch it at her house with dinner in our PJ's. Bru is going to go, too.

RJ, I used to ride rides, but now that I am older, I cannot handle it. I have the pass for the waterpark and for the Hallow Weekends in the fall.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

They promised that your money would be transferred by yesterday and then refused to do it?
no, iapplied for a 'switch' which is a free process between an old bank and a new one that move yr money and all your payments in/.out such as wages and direct deb its details to the new account from the old, closing the old at the end...supposedly to be completed by 7.30pm last night. i got a ltter from my old bank - that doesnt have a loca, branch, wont let me use online banking, and were rude to me in the 1.5 hrs distant branch....saying they cant do this unless i go into the branch and i cant get in there again for a long time - possibly a month or two.so i posted a very angry letter to them telling them to give me MY money in to MY new account and stop stopping me use MY money. in the meantime, m y son transfrred me some m oney so i could use my new account to shop this morning - and i just popped down the locla post office to extract 200 from my old account. my plan is to remove mon ey in 200 pound pieces from the old whenever i go near an atm or poist office and deposite it in the new account when im in rustington in a couple weeks time. that way i have access to M Y money. i will also be ter intatin my home insurance with the old bank....so all 3 products will be gone from their hands shortly,

now..let me think - i COULD pop to the farm shop then take a short local solo hike... OR I could hop the hill and pop into the garden center....hmmm......ill go in about an hour, so have time to choose! big day excursion out tomorrow with L :dance:

sporry Cayla.... fidnt mean to post-crash you!! :D
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

been t farm store and grabbed 4 new strwbs - then down plot to plan t them and water... now about to do some chores then curl up with a book...