Infirmary Thread #19: Roll Up Your Sleeve

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Infirmary Thread #19: Roll Up Your Sleeve

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's our new Infirmary Thread. Please hand over your insurance card.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:46 pm
So to compensate I punctured my right thumb while trying to dig a rock up.
Ouch. :(
jgc wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:23 pm
It sounds like Lupy is having the same kind of reaction I did.
You had the urge to dig up rocks? :unsure:
And I agree with Cayla. Your reaction, RJ, proves you have a robust immune system. :thumbsup:
I'm glad I have a robust something. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:14 pm
as for me i have one tiny teeny little infirmary spot - on my m iddle finger of my right hand - where i burned it getting my choc cake out the oven !!
Ugh, I hate that. It's always in a spot that bumps on everything.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Infirmary Thread #19: Roll Up Your Sleeve

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:37 pm
jgc wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:23 pm
It sounds like Lupy is having the same kind of reaction I did.
You had the urge to dig up rocks? :unsure:
:veryhappy:
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

^^ Yes, now that you mention it, why does anyone dig up rocks? The only time I've done it is when I've had to plant something.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

Please hand over your insurance card.
:eek: :Ahhh: :mellow: :blush: :no: can i just share my garlic/ginger/chili supplies???? :lol:
its snowing...and its cleared my nose. omg snow...hang on a tic back to sign in thread to update
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I had some brief, sporatic headaches yesterday. Not sure if it's from the vaccine or something else.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 am
^^ Yes, now that you mention it, why does anyone dig up rocks? The only time I've done it is when I've had to plant something.
We use them for decoration.
Something I've been working on in the front yard.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:57 pm
Those are some really cool rocks! :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:24 am
:eek: :Ahhh: :mellow: :blush: :no: can i just share my garlic/ginger/chili supplies???? :lol:
Sure. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:57 pm
That is a cool set up. And I see the Zantis are still there. :yes:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

That looks awesome, Lupine!
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

Temporary crown on #19 today. The tooth was mostly comprised of an amalgam filling and had cracked. It's a bit sensitive right now. I return in three weeks to get the permanent.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

Not sure if it's from the vaccine or something else.
could be the jab...did you drink twice as much water as you thought you needed?
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Lupy, love the front yard!

There was no rock digging by me. If I still lived in NH and owned the house, I could be digging rocks. :yes:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Sci-Fi Girl
Lictor
Lictor

Post by Sci-Fi Girl »

~
I don't know ReNext well enough to know where to post this, so I hope this is the right spot. :blush:

US recommends ‘pause’ for J&J vaccine over clot reports
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. on Tuesday recommended a “pause” in using the single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to investigate reports of rare but potentially dangerous blood clots, setting off a chain reaction worldwide and dealing a setback to the global vaccination campaign.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration announced that they were investigating unusual clots in six women between the ages of 18 and 48. One person died.

~~~

The clots, which happened 6 to 13 days after vaccination in veins that drain blood from the brain, occurred together with low platelets, the fragments in blood that normally form clots.

More than 6.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine have been given in the U.S., the vast majority with no or mild side effects.

~~~

The FDA said the cases under investigation appear similar to the clots that European authorities say are possibly linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is not yet cleared in the U.S. European regulators have stressed that the AstraZeneca risk appears to be lower than the possibility of developing clots from birth control pills.

The problem seems similar to the clotting issue with the AstraZeneca. They seem to be stressing that this is only a pause while they evaluate what the risk is, and educate doctors on what to look for and how to treat the problem.

Interestingly:

The agencies recommend that people who were given the J&J vaccine should contact their doctor if they experience severe headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath within three weeks.

~~~

U.S. health authorities cautioned doctors against using a typical clot treatment, the blood-thinner heparin.

European authorities investigating the AstraZeneca cases have concluded clots appear to be similar to a very rare abnormal immune response that sometimes strikes people treated with heparin, leading to a temporary clotting disorder.

~~~

Because these unusual clots require special treatment, “it was of the utmost importance to us to get the word out,” she said. “That said, the pandemic is quite severe and cases are increasing in lots of places and vaccination’s critical.”
:unsure:

SFG
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah, I've been hearing about that. Luckily I got the Pfizer.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

With six cases out of 6.8 million vaccines, it must have been the unusual nature of the clots that allowed them to draw a correlation. They must be scouring databases now, trying to see if there are any more. I wonder what else the patients had in common.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

The Wife got the J&J and has actually experienced one of the symptoms, which is easy bruising. Other than that she's felt fine and we see no reason to see a doctor. I doubt she's that one in a million who are at risk.

Having said that, I'm glad I got the Pfizer shots!
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

there will always be side effects in some.... thats why i dont do western medicibe unless necessary myself. it will be 10-20 years ahead a d they will still be fnding side effects.....it takes konger thn a few mo ths to ensure safety.
Sci-Fi Girl
Lictor
Lictor

Post by Sci-Fi Girl »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:15 pm
With six cases out of 6.8 million vaccines, it must have been the unusual nature of the clots that allowed them to draw a correlation. They must be scouring databases now, trying to see if there are any more. I wonder what else the patients had in common.
It would be great if they could identify the risk factors, in order to determine who is at highest risk. (It would be nice to narrow it down more specific than "women age 18-48"!) But if it's something like a genetic predisposition, it could be invisible until its a problem. And for all we know, it could take them years to discover, if they ever do.

SFG
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^It will take more study. Right now there's a correlation that might not equate to causation.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ That's true. They haven't even demonstrated a connection yet.
Sci-Fi Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 am
It would be great if they could identify the risk factors, in order to determine who is at highest risk. (It would be nice to narrow it down more specific than "women age 18-48"!) But if it's something like a genetic predisposition, it could be invisible until its a problem. And for all we know, it could take them years to discover, if they ever do.
Right. Six cases is not a lot to work from. Even if it's a genetic predisposition, it could only manifest in tandem with other factors, like diet or drug use-- or previous drug use-- or specific prior illnesses.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:53 am
there will always be side effects in some.... thats why i dont do western medicibe unless necessary myself. it will be 10-20 years ahead a d they will still be fnding side effects.....it takes konger thn a few mo ths to ensure safety.
That's true. There will always be outliers. But the same is true in nature. Sickle Cell Trait kills people, but it provides immunity to malaria-- it just kills less people than malaria, so it wins.

Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 am
Because you can find pretty ones like Lupine did. :yes:

I actually keep finding the geodes we had, which I will place in my gardens when I get everything done.

So, what has happened these last days... hmmm... Okay. I broke 4 knuckle joints, cracked my skull, broke my left shoulder and lower arm. My son got his right hip and left foot broken...
Naaah, just kidding. Actually what happened to my 4 knuckle joints was, I believe the technical term the doctor used was: "Wrenched the bejebus out of them." Actually, it was more like I went to quickly grab a bag of hay, caught the board it was leaning against and spread my fingers really far apart. Made me yelp. They turned a deep red and swelled, then turned black and blue.
My head has just gone through some really bad migraines. I love Spring, but the active weather feels like it's trying to kill me. Even today I've got an ice pick shoved into my brain and someone keeps twisting it to make it sure it doesn't stop hurting. The generic migraine pills barely give me 3 hours with a dose, so I get about 6 hours a day of less pain.
The left shoulder actually went through an RA flare, and shoulder flares are the worst. There is no sleep with them, no relaxing, just pain. And it affects the shoulder, upper arm, elbow, wrist, fingers and back. None of my other joints in a flare, cover that much area. The only way I can deal is to take my generic Excedrin migraine pills twice a day, plus aspirin twice a day. Did that for three days, now it just aches a little.
The lower arm is just a large bruise from a 2" x 4" x 6' that holds down the storage entrance tarp. It was up leaning against the corner, so the storage area was open, and I hadn't tied it in place yet. Well, the wind has been strong, and it was strong that day, so it caught the tarp and whipped that board down, swung it around and smack into my arm.
All of this made typing a pain, plus working in the house and feeding animals, kind of tired out the one good hand I had, depending on which side was in pain. :D

My son got clipped by his horse (she's not mine, she hates me, okay not hate, but if she needs any doctoring, it's hate). He was working with Cayli, and she has a tendency to get really annoyed if she doesn't like something (and she doesn't like anything!), so she kicked out at him, grazing his hip. He was a little sore, but fine. Then a couple mornings later, he was making Echo walk out of her shelter following commands, but she stopped to sniff something and he made her lift her head, back up, and start over. Only when she backed up, she swung around and backed the opposite direction (sometimes there is no understanding why they do what they do). As she did this she "tripped" over a small mound of dirt and fell down (it was muddy). He stepped up to try to help her as she flailed about, which you don't do, and she struck out with a front leg to stand, catching him on the foot. That one hurt him and for days he had to be careful how he stepped on it, then one day he kind of pushed on it and something "popped", apparently into place. :D After that he felt better and it has since healed.
He takes after me, I'm so proud of him. :D
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Elara wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 am
Here in Virginia there are no pretty rocks. All we have are these ugly potato rocks that need to be removed from our hard-packed clay soil before we can plant anything. The soil here is not very good, primarily because it is "unglaciated" -- i.e., the glaciers never made there way this far south thus depriving us of good tilled soil.
Elara wrote:
Okay. I broke 4 knuckle joints, cracked my skull, broke my left shoulder and lower arm. My son got his right hip and left foot broken...
I got a chuckle out of the fact that you said you were kidding and then spent a long paragraph explaining how you were not really kidding :lol:

Ouch! I am so sorry especially about your migraines. Does this happen every spring? When does the spring pollen go away and bring you some relief?

And yes, I'm amused that your son takes after you in the injury department. Does he have your sense of humor, too? I hope so!
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:39 am
Elara wrote:
Here in Virginia there are no pretty rocks. All we have are these ugly potato rocks that need to be removed from our hard-packed clay soil before we can plant anything.
If you washed them off they might look nicer.
Yes, I just told you to wash rocks. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:39 am
Elara wrote:
Okay. I broke 4 knuckle joints, cracked my skull, broke my left shoulder and lower arm. My son got his right hip and left foot broken...
I got a chuckle out of the fact that you said you were kidding and then spent a long paragraph explaining how you were not really kidding :lol:
Same here. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Elara wrote:
So, what has happened these last days... hmmm... Okay. I broke 4 knuckle joints, cracked my skull, broke my left shoulder and lower arm. My son got his right hip and left foot broken...
You had us all going because we expect things like this to happen to you. And it was only slightly exaggerated. :no:
He takes after me, I'm so proud of him. :D
I was about to say. "Let me see if I can help up this flailing horse." :pony:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:19 pm
Yes, I just told you to wash rocks. :lol:
Yes, but it's understandable. Rocks do look prettier when they're wet and clean. I know that from collecting stones at the beach.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

I had a headache, today. I think it was from stress. I took an 1/12 hour nap today, and felt a little better. I am going to to try to go to bed early, tonight.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.