Hargil's Bar And Grill (Not a tax dodge or Mafia joint)

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Hargil's Bar And Grill (Not a tax dodge or Mafia joint)

Post by australis »

^ and where's 'Pump It Up'? :)

<sits on stool at edge of stage, looks reflective>
Every life has a soundtrack, but I prefer the term lifetrack. Though I'm a hard rocker by nature (like the new AC/DC album BTW), at the top of my lifetrack list are 'Temma Harbour' by Mary Hopkirk and 'Frozen Orange Juice' by Peter Sarstedt. In a lot of ways, you don't choose these songs, they choose you.

One of my lifetrack songs is this one, a hit in 1972. It's upbeat, sort of bubblegum, and a lot of fun. I can't find a decent film clip for it (there is one, but it has a whole lot of other stuff around it which is very Australian country TV, and I wouldn't want to inflict it on you). Enjoy:

[youtube]1oFKqWaV7eE[/youtube]
"... times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Nice! Definitely has that early 70s sound-- I'm getting the impression that Australia is not so different from here. I'll have to give some thought to what the soundtrack of my life would be-- I can certainly say that The 59th Street Bridge Song, I've Got A Name and Rhiannon would be on the list.

And "Pump It Up" is definitely part of Elvis's set for this show. We can do it right now:

[youtube]tpprOGsLWUo[/youtube]

:thrasher:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Another upbeat ditty from angry New Wave guy:

[youtube]UT1uASCsMiA[/youtube]

:party:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

My personal favorite:

[youtube]6RVDQgVxprE[/youtube]

:mellow: :sweetlove: :yes: :veryhappy: :shrug:

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Meanwhile on the Alt.Stage...

Most of you will know Split Enz for their poppy tunes like 'Message To My Girl'. But they had an earlier phase as an art-rock band, as evinced on their first two albums, 'Mental Notes' and 'Second Thoughts'. I think thta poverty got too hard for them and they decided to go that way. A high water mark, for me, was the album 'Dizrhythmia', well worth seeking out. The single from that album was 'My Mistake':

[youtube]9AKQ2H4QW9M[/youtube]

There was one song of the new lineup, with I think an early Elvis Costello vibe, and a completely mad keyboard solo, 'I See Red'"

[youtube]vKj4upY1VYI[/youtube]

Anyway, as part of the change in came Neil Finn, and out went original guitarist and songwriter Phil Judd. I should add that Judd wanted to go, and the band decided to change from there.

Judd now writes TV and film scores - if you've seen the Aussie shows 'Good Guys Bad Guys' and 'Stingers', you've heard his theme tunes. But before that, there was the Swingers.

Some view the Swingers, with its NZ-born members, as a Kiwi band, some, like me as an Aussie band, because they wouldn't have got together without Judd's prior Aussie success. But I digress. The albums, frankly, were a bit ordinary, but they had one startling single, iconic, different, fresh, poppy and fun...

[youtube]NdPKKJk_mLw[/youtube]
"... times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Dead tired, about to go to bed, But I was watching a few Enz clips, and came across this one. I'd forgotten how good this song was. I rate the band in this phase very highly, and don't have much time for the later commercial version, and practically zero time for Crowded House.

A quirky insight into a geeky guy losing his virginity, I suppose. :D And played for maximum quirk. But the musicianship is pretty good. Stunning even. All those time changes, but damned smooth.

[youtube]xU7OQpmJsVI[/youtube]

The song it leads to next, 'Sweet Dreams' is also pretty good
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Nice stuff, especially that last one (and a cool video). I had no idea Split Enz went back as far as 75. To me, they are an early 80s band-- not that I really paid that much attention to them then, to tell the truth.

[youtube]Ab_IO-SlK5w[/youtube]

:vixen: :angel:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

And, finally, the song (and video) that would alone justify his career:

[youtube]g-rF4COOd9c[/youtube]

:(

By the way, everybody is still encouraged to suggest guests. I've been choosing them by myself for quite a while now. Many thanks to australis for adding some additional variety. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, let's have a big hand for Elvis Costello. Thanks for the great show, and please feel free to stay and watch our next-- oh, never mind. Apparently Elvis has left the building. I wish that guy would Get Happy.

And now let's please welcome one of the greatest rockers of all time... The Boss! Image

[youtube]IxuThNgl3YA[/youtube]

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

This is probably my favorite Springsteen song, and I think the first one I ever heard (it's the first song on the Born To Run album. The album version is a wall-of-sound rocker like "Born To Run," but he also does an acoustic version that can bring tears to your eyes. Tonight, he will do it both ways for us:

[youtube]KngiJUNdsu0[/youtube]

[youtube]MqiPy99yTCo[/youtube]

:clap:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Here's another tear-jerker:

[youtube]77gKSp8WoRg[/youtube]

:sob:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

:clap:

I've been neglecting this place as of late. :blush:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nobody comes to Hargil's anymore. It's too crowded. :mellow:

Okay, I stole that from Yogi Bera. But I wonder if anybody does come here anymore. :unsure:

Here's another early classic. I liked this one because my girlfriend in Junior High was named Rosie. :lol:

[youtube]CYHGh6lmSbo[/youtube]

:bounce:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:Nobody comes to Hargil's anymore. It's too crowded. :mellow:
Maybe we should build an addition to the building. :unsure:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Good idea. We could push the bar back into its own wing and increase the floorspace.

[youtube]yT0xoxM8jGY[/youtube]

:Ahhh: :unsure: :afraid: :scared:

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

And have a bigger alternate stage! :)

Ladeez an gennlmen, for one night only, for one song only...

This band went on to form the core of LRB (Little River Band), and are also on my lifetrack. The film clip is from the local version of Woodstock.

For your listening pleasure...
[youtube]wLPDspFxdNU[/youtube]
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Wow, that is really nice. Why is it that old music is so much better than new music? :conf:

[youtube]TF1jH6Cv0tk[/youtube]

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

I have a theory. Musicians today make a career out of it. It's a job. In the 60s and 70s, they may have been making a living from it, but it was coming from a place of passion.

When looking through a list of Australian songs, I found this. Another lifetrack I haven't heard in, seriously, decades. Made me tear up a little, I have to admit. Not sure whether it's the fact I haven't heard it in so long or the wonderful song itself:

[youtube]YRGvEkCWeNQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Another two constants in my life:
[youtube]Tua-21rTk34[/youtube]

This one has the greatest chorus ever. :)
[youtube]oKE2hmgzUgo[/youtube]
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ Wow, that is really nice. Why is it that old music is so much better than new music? :conf:
australis wrote:I have a theory. Musicians today make a career out of it. It's a job. In the 60s and 70s, they may have been making a living from it, but it was coming from a place of passion.
There might be an air of nostalgia involved too. I remember not being overly thrilled by the music back in the 80s, but now I find myself reminiscing about some of the good music from the 80s :wtf: .
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ That's true. The same thing has happened to me with 70s music. The other day, I listened all the way through "Night Fever" on my car radio without changing the station. :lol: I think another thing is that today the goal seems to be more becoming a professional celebrity rather than to create music.

australis, those are great songs. That first one, by Harry Young and Sabbath, seems very familiar to me-- not the song itself, but the sound, as if I know something else by them from the early 70s. But I can't find any info on the Internet.

Here's another nice song from the Boss, from later in his career:

[youtube]idnJnjV_8rg[/youtube]

:anonymous:

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Oh, there's very much a nostalgia element, but I hope these songs stand up without it. The other part is these songs have stayed with me (and many others) for so long, there must be something more to them than nostalgia.

Hmm, having trouble finding anything about Harry Young, I'll get back to you on that.

Here's a cracker. First Aussie 'psychedelic' song to do huge business. And first to use flanging. And, I'm pretty sure, first pop song over 6 minutes.

'The Real Thing, Pts I & II' was a comment about Coke's advertising slogan at the time. One of our most noted music figures (Ian Meldrum) then let loose on it with some really wild production. And it was incredibly rare, in the early 70s, for a pop song to be so long. Yet, as I said, it did huge business. The guy has an amazing voice, and still performs today.

So, without further ado (and let's show the kids how we used to do it!)...

[youtube]iP7iEbPqZDc[/youtube]
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Heh. Psychedelic indeed. B) I don't think it's entirely nostalgia, because I've never heard any of these Aussie songs before, but they still sound better than contemporary music.

Another offering from later in the Boss's career:

[youtube]85cNRQo1m3A[/youtube]

:makeout:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Here's another song, like "Thunder Road," that is amazing in both its Rock and Folk versions. I loved this song when it first came out, and for some reason I love it more the older I get. :lol:

[youtube]WN5e2qZr1Oc[/youtube]

[youtube]JxVu41Vsthg[/youtube]

:wave:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

It's time to pack up and move to a new place. :)
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.