What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post your original works of fiction here.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post by Lupine »

^I remember the extinct aliens in The Engines of God were culturally rather human-like as well.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

And the Noks, that previously known primitive race in the Academy Universe, was fairly humanoid, too.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I pre-ordered Jack McDevitt's new Alex Benedict novel, Octavia Gone, which is due out next May. Amusingly, the capsule description of the plot still uses the book's original title, apparently, which is Blame It On The Aliens. I kind of like that one better. It would make a good name for a sitcom. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

emma glitch wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 am
Paul made it in today and he says. he's working on finiishing up his second novel.
he ia interested in the book I have been reading, The complete book OF NOVEL WRITING, which has informaton about becoming a hybrid: self publishing, then getting a conract to have his books printed but he will still be allowed to self publish ebooks. Sounds good to me.
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nice. I'd like to know more about that. I think we'd all like to have a deal like that. :book:

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Current reading: 'Good Omens', Pratchett/Gaiman, because miniseries next year. Have a couple library books, but thinking I should read 'Hogfather' for Xmas.

And if anyone is up for it, I have a PDF of Catching Light. Granted, it's in A4, Courier New 12 point, and 374 pages... but it is short stories, in easy to read format, there is an index (so you can use the GoToPage function), and (he sez, getting up on his figjam box) some of them are pretty damn good and a couple of them controversial. If anyone wants in, let me know.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Do you mean for beta reading? Otherwise I'd rather buy it and make you some money (and pump your sales figures). :D

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:47 pm
^^ Do you mean for beta reading? Otherwise I'd rather buy it and make you some money (and pump your sales figures). :D
Either way, I'm in.
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

The book I'm currently reading is Anne Hillerman's Song OF THE Lion, a continuation of her father's Chee, Maneulito and Leaphorn mysteries. It is good and reading it I have been thinking aoubt his memoir, SEldom Dissapointed, which I have in my li brary, okay it is my guest bedroom but so full of books that nobody can sleep there. One of these days I'll find it and enjoy it again, it's about having low expecttions and his WWII experiences.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I've read the first book in Hellerman's Navajo series, Skinwalkers, but never got around to reading the rest. They made a couple of good movies based off them as well. Hopefully his daughter can continue the series as children taking over their parent's novels don't exactly have a good track record.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'm about halfway through The Road to Mars by Eric Idle. Yep, that Eric Idle. It has kind of that Hitchhiker's Guide or Discworld vibe, as you might expect. In the part I just read, the narrator is talking about comedy from the 20th century and mentions a stupid show named Monty Python that doesn't make any sense. :lol:

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

Lupine wrote:
Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:I know Christopher Bennett. I suspect with the well-meaning-but-clueless aliens he is subconsciously writing about himself.
If he's the guy I remember from TrekBBS we got into an argument over competing alien world shows.
Yeah, I know him too. He's at Exile abd once when I was at comic-con I noticed a book of his for sale, as I. paged through I noticed he had named a bad guys ship teh Rhea abd tgat is the name of the Exisler we was alowys picking on so I told her about it and we hqd. good laugh

Yeah he knows how to be clueless.
But the part about Picard being ruthlessly prosecuted by an old flame is surprisingly derivative-- they did that in TOS in the episode "Court Martial."
Well he didn't have a choice since it was established in TNG that Picard was court-martialed for the loss of the Stargazer.
I just finished Janet Evanovich;s latst, her 25th in her Stephaine PLUM series. She;s still got it. It is funny and I gotta get on her facebook page and let her know I am okay. My mother was so impressed to hear tgat Janet cn walk into a room of 600 fans abd recognize n=me fom berhind. I got so tired of the Joe Morelli or Ranger fight< i named myself Nonny, Queen of the Ranger Babes abd was tunned when they accepted that. The Ranger Babes always were okay, but the Morelli crowd kept telling Janet to kill off Ranger and get Steph married to Moerlli, but luckily Janet knwe that the series would go on forever with the current lelvel of sexual tension.
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 pm
I'm about halfway through The Road to Mars by Eric Idle. Yep, that Eric Idle. It has kind of that Hitchhiker's Guide or Discworld vibe, as you might expect. In the part I just read, the narrator is talking about comedy from the 20th century and mentions a stupid show named Monty Python that doesn't make any sense. :lol:
I'm glad you are enjouying it, so much aas I did. Wow, Eric Idle writes scifi! I have a ticket to see Spamalot in March. Gotta find my DVD of the Life of Brian and watch as it is based o.n this movie. Like many other fans I have choseen "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" as my funeral song
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

I keep trying to post but I ge an error message claiming that mypost hasn't go enough words and it does but also won't let me qdd qny,
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

Madeliaette wrote:
Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 am
1/2way thru Scottydog's book - almost at the end pf a CNN Dzogchen book and starting a Michale Palin Himalayan travel book....
Palin has been kknighted for his travel stuff. The knight who said ni, will be a real knight