What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post your original works of fiction here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post by RJDiogenes »

emma glitch wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:24 pm
Yeah, I know him too. He's at Exile abd once when I was at comic-con I noticed a book of his for sale, as I. paged through I noticed he had named a bad guys ship teh Rhea abd tgat is the name of the Exisler we was alowys picking on so I told her about it and we hqd. good laugh
Yep, he's at Ex Isle. I ignore him there, too. :lol:
I got so tired of the Joe Morelli or Ranger fight< i named myself Nonny, Queen of the Ranger Babes abd was tunned when they accepted that.
Oh, so that's where that name came from. :yes:
emma glitch wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:38 pm
I keep trying to post but I ge an error message claiming that mypost hasn't go enough words and it does but also won't let me qdd qny,
If you get that message, it means that you've already posted and you just clicked on the submit button too many times.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Checking in to see if RJ knows that there's a new Alex Benedict novel out.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yes, thank you, I had pre-ordered it a while back, so it arrived a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I finish Jim's book, I'll move on to Australis's, and then Alex.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Because I now leave (for now) elsewhere, I have a new library to explore.

Currently a biography of Raymond Chandler. Next, either a Best of Connie Willis or a Cory Doctorow book with four novellas.

Sometime soon, the first Witches books fron TP's Discworld, or Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, which first got me into computers.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'm a bit more than halfway through the australis collection, then I'll move on to a fanfic I promised to read from a poster at Terran, then on to Jim's next book, then Lupy's rewrite, then I'll get to Jack McDevitt's latest.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Hi. Not sure I've ever posted in this thread.

Recently, I've gone thru my book case and read all the Stephen King books I own but hadn't read yet. :conf:

Currently on Bag of Bones.

I've already re-read all my favorites by Anne McCaffrey. :yes:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I should re-read those myself one of these days.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, it's been a while since I've read a Pern novel. It would be nice to go back to that world.

And I have just one more story to go in australis's book. He's got several interesting series going on there, some of which are familiar from having been posted here in the past.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Currently Four Past Midnight.

When I'm done with this, I think I'll read something lighter.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, Stephen King can be a bit grim. :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Since the final episode of Elementary will be titled "The Last Bow", I decided to start reading His Last Bow By Arther Conan Doyle. I might have read it before as "The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge" seemed slightly familiar.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I read the complete set of Conan Doyle's Holmes stories in high school, then re-read some sporadically after that. But it's been decades at this point since I've read one.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Finished His Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Reading this I was surprised that I was familiar with many of these stories as many if not all were adapted for TV for the Jeremy Brett version of Sherlock Holmes on PBS. Specifically I remember seeing aspects of “The Adventure of the Cardboard Box”, and “The Dying Detective” in various episodes. And I had read “The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot” decades ago- which is probably the best of this collection followed closely by “The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge”. Both of these set up impressive mysteries. The collection climaxes with “His Last Bow”, which is a bit different from the rest. While the other stories- like many of Doyle’s Holmes tales- are set up as Watson’s memoirs of events in the late 1800s, “His Last Bow” takes place on the eve of World War I. Also it is told from a third person perspective rather than the first person usually employed. It was obviously written as a final story as everyone from Moriarty to Irene Adler are name-dropped and it is mentioned that Holmes had come out of retirement for the case.
But of course The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes were written later so Doyle wasn’t through with the character yet.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

No, he just wished he was. :lol:

I'm about 10% of the way through Hyperlight 10, so hopefully I'll be able to finish up in a couple or three weeks, and then I'll be able to move on to Murder The World.

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

I'm reading Terrys Pratchett's "the Truth".
Funny that when they first camne out, I never noticed that from book to book his stories got more grim and bloody. I guess his Altzheimer plus his frustration about it took their toll.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away