The Baked Potato Solution

Post your original essays or articles here.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

The Baked Potato Solution

Post by Madeliaette »

Old man sits outdoors on the path in front of his front door in a wheelchair, a sour look upon his weathered face.
Muttering to himself, he begins a conversation as soon as company arrives - the carer, his daughter, brings him a fresh glass of water.
'This is the end!' he bursts as she approaches.
He glares at her as she reminds him to stay hydrated - he doesn't want the tasteless fluid that bloats his belly.
'It won't be long before changes will happen', he says decisively, 'we won't be living here for much longer - I shall sell up and move into a home. I cannot bear to go on much longer.'
Her smile falters and fades - oh no! one of those moods again....
She knows that nothing she says will reach him. until his mood fades or changes, he will be depressed, stubbornly making important decisions he probably will not keep...

Two hours pass and the old man is now sitting sulking in his recliner chair - his eyes fixed upon the glarish TV coverage of a golf match.
The grass is too green, the people too pink...
The daughter enters his room, ignoring the stale scent of mis-aimed toileting covered by lavender oil, she deposits a tray on his lap after he arranges a bath towel as a makeshift bib.
'What's this then?' he asks, peering at the food as if he cannot see.
'Baked potato with red leicester cheese', she sighs. ' you haven't had this for a long time' she adds hopefully.
'Oh' he mutters and begins to poke at the small item in the middle of the dish suspiciously, but a smile almost arrives and he does say 'thank you dear' as she leaves the room.

Two hours later and the old man greets the returning carer as she fills his glass with water once again reminding him to drink as much as he can of that disgusting liquid that fills the belly.
She flips the TV channel back to garishly colored golf coverage as the news has now ended and regards her father, wondering.
'what have you brought for my supper tonight?' he questions - but there is no longer any pain, depression, or determination to make changes in his voice - just hunger and greed.
'Your usual selection of chips and healthy snacks with some walnut cake and cheese and crackers' the carer states, releived.

Sometimes, only a baked potato or some such food can change the mood of an old old man that is lost in his self-created worries and grasps at determined outrageous decisions as his last straw...
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: The Baked Potato Solution

Post by Lupine »

Good one, M. Almost poetic.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

I only wish it wasn't 'real'... or worked more than one day in a row, lol!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I wish it wasn't real, either. That really communicates how hard things are for you and your Dad. :(

I'm glad it had a bit of a happy ending. It's very touching.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

if only it worked everyday....
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Indeed.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape: