Server upgrade, April 2019

General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Re: Server upgrade, April 2019

Post by huggle »

Not a bad idea, but unfortunately no option for me. As I don't own the complete server but only a segment, I can't keep the older PHP but am forced to follow my host's policy.

Good news: The last 6 hours I had a look at TerranBBS' template files and rebuilding their template will be far easier than I thought. Next weekend I'll have a look at Renext's and then prepare the templates for the boards in advance. Then we can upgrade the board to the newest version and 5 mins later have our usual template back :)

Orphy, I have a problem I can't solve. Maybe you have an idea how to deal with it? Ages ago I set up a redirect that rerouted everyone from the domain's root address to a board's index file. I have deleted the board now as it's no longer used but the reroute still works. I can't find the reroute settings anymore - I could have sworn it was an extra file but apparently that one is gone. Nevertheless, the reroute is still active and thus floods the error log with "file not found" messages. I've had a look at the MyAdmin CP from where one can install and manage rerouts but there is no reroute programmed. Do you have any idea where else I could find the reroute settings or file? (For the moment I'll simply build an empty file and put it on the path to where the reroute points)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

now, this is the sort of bug I like to have :D
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

Awww, they look cute at that zoom! :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Orpheus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:27 am
Someday you'll have to remind me to tell you the OBGYN story of "Fancy!".
Please do. I'll understand that better than anything else in your post. :lol:
huggle wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:16 pm
now, this is the sort of bug I like to have :D
Ooh, I want those bugs in my house. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

Long story short:
Prim immigrant grandmother decides to use her granddaughter's "feminine hygiene spray" before a GYN exam.

Except it turned out to be a vivid-colored sparkly spray-on hair dye instead.

70 yo OBGYN has seen it all, doesn't miss a beat. He simply says "Fancy!" and proceeds with the exam.

I guess you had to be there.
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

huggle wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Orphy, I have a problem I can't solve. Maybe you have an idea how to deal with it? Ages ago I set up a redirect that rerouted everyone from the domain's root address to a board's index file. I have deleted the board now as it's no longer used but the reroute still works. I can't find the reroute settings anymore - I could have sworn it was an extra file but apparently that one is gone. Nevertheless, the reroute is still active and thus floods the error log with "file not found" messages. I've had a look at the MyAdmin CP from where one can install and manage rerouts but there is no reroute programmed. Do you have any idea where else I could find the reroute settings or file? (For the moment I'll simply build an empty file and put it on the path to where the reroute points)
What webserver are you using? (e.g. Apache, 2.0, lighttpd, nginx, etc.) Often the redirect is in the webserver domain config or systemd

I'm not familiar with myAdmin, do you mean phpMyAdmin? Or is it a server config GUI like cPanel or WebMIn/VirtualMin?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Orpheus wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm
Long story short:
Prim immigrant grandmother decides to use her granddaughter's "feminine hygiene spray" before a GYN exam.

70 yo OBGYN has seen it all, doesn't miss a beat. He simply says "Fancy!" and proceeds with the exam.

Hah. :D I think I saw that in a collection of anecdotes that my Midwives had in the call room. Do you know the one about "Big breaths?" :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

If it was the call room at BCH/BMC in the mid-late 90s, I bet it was exactly the same incident

Tell me "Big Breaths". I need more stories for my anecdotage.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hah. I'll bet it was the same list. :lol:

So it goes something like this: A doctor is examining an elderly woman. He puts his stethoscope on her chest and says, "Big breaths." She sighs and says, "They used to be."

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Orpheus wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm
Long story short:

ROTFLMAO! :veryhappy: :thumbsup:
The reroute prob solved itself. Apparently it was merely a server hiccup. I had deleted the reroute correctly but the server still had it cached. After the daily backup it was gone :)
And yes, it's an apache server (version 2.4.39). It's called Andromeda (Lunarpages always name their servers after some spatial object) and is physically located near LA which is why the board may at times of earthquakes be offline for a moment.
I meant indeed cPanel. Got the name confused with phpMyAdmin. My only excuse is that I had spent the 6 hours before making that post by checking and editing 270 printed pages of code, line by line, which left me pretty gaga.. Image
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ I see you found the GreenSmilies site. :D

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

I've used it on and off for years - it's a German site. Collecting smilies has always been one of my hobbies, but so far I've stuck mainly with the yellow ones.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ah, that's right, it is a German site, which has been it hard for me to search there. I love those green Smilies because they are such an integral part of ReNext's unique appearance.

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

they are indeed :) Would you like a translation of that site? I could make one next weekend.

I just had a look at TerranBBS to make sure everything works there and promptly found a message that phpBB issued a new board version last night, as I had jokingly predicted. (I think I might start gambling :D)
The changes address security issues and will have 2 effects on board users:
  • the search function will be narrowed down a bit. Searches that result in extremely long lists will be denied by the board. I think that one doesn't affect us much here as the board is just not large enough to return such a lot of data.
  • remote avatars will no longer be possible. That is, you'll always have to upload your avatar to the board and can no longer link to an external one.
I'll update as soon as I made a backup of the database. As I'll use the automatic updater we'll go directly to the newest version so that we'll overtake Terran.

Edited to add: had to deinstall the new version again as it had several really mean bugs, amongst them one that refuses to let anyone log in.
I'll make a manual upgrade to a bug-free software version on Saturday.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yep, my post in this thread disappeared, too. :lol:
huggle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:46 am
they are indeed :) Would you like a translation of that site? I could make one next weekend.
Thank you very much, but that's too much trouble. The next time I think of something to search for, I'll just ask you. What I've done in the past is used a translation program and searched using the results, but that was an imperfect method. :lol: