Author's Thread #13

Post your original works of fiction here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Author's Thread #13

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's a quality generator:

It won't do nudity, but 99% of them won't. But it's giving me better results than a lot of them do. My first test request is always a flying saucer over Stonehenge, and most of them just give me Stonehenge with no flying saucer. This one gave me four nice results right off the bat.

It looks like it gives you twenty-five generations, but I'm not sure if that's per day or what.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Those are really good. I should give more detailed requests, but even some of the ones I got were cover-quality.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, it understands English better than most other utilities I've tried. Two of the other things I always try are Mummies and asteroids covered with grass and flowers. I have literally never gotten anything close to either of those, but this is what Bing gave me:

Also, I don't think there is any limit to the generations. After you get past twenty five, it just takes longer for your results.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

:lol:

"I didn't ask to be compiled!"

Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

I'm getting nowhere with the next book. :(
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, you've got a lot more on your plate now than you had before with your new educational endeavor. It's not surprising that you have less brain left over for writing. Just relax and take it slow. :yes:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And you're not alone. My Library of Eternity wasn't jelling. And I'm having constant second thoughts about my current novella All Mothers- though I am almost done.
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

Thanks.

On the bright side, I did some rereading of old books (oof, I didn't pull punches in some of them), and realised I have a few plot points to pull together. :) Characters with acting stuff left dangling, and so on.
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

So I've done nothing on writing recently. But I have to say ChatGPT is an excellent muse.

https://chat.openai.com/share/ccc5aa9d- ... a0b2bacb03

I asked it first to create a short story basically mirroring Pilot Down, then asked about ideas for book 15, which allowed me to crystallise my thinking. I'm aware it was mostly regurgitating my suggestions back at me but it gave me some additional context and reasons for each option that were previously subconscious, so it helped me figure out why I'm struggling with the summer camp idea - trying to rush ahead too fast.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I've experimented with it a little bit and it does come up with some interesting stuff. Unfortunately, a lot of times it censors me and refuses to cooperate. :lol: But one of the things that fascinates me is that it's able to write in almost format that you ask-- short story, screenplay, haiku, limerick, whatever. And you can ask it to include specific elements, like dialogue or a joke on a particular topic. It's fascinating.

Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

Okay, after pounding away at ChatGPT for a while, how does this sound?

SERIES: "The Harmonic Nexus"

This title encompasses the concept of a "Harmonic Nexus" that refers to the delicate balance and synergy between human science and the magical forces bestowed upon the world by the ancient beings. It represents the connection point where these two realms intersect and harmonize. "The Harmonic Nexus" emphasizes the importance of equilibrium and the blending of scientific knowledge and mystical powers, highlighting the integral role of balance in the world. It is also a reference to an object the Ancient Benefactor Aliens (known as Aequorians, from Latin for Equal) leave in orbit both to monitor humans, and to provide a clue to their existence.

ORIGIN STORY:

In this origin story, it is revealed that long ago, a group of ancient beings bestowed five mythological races (sprites, salamanders, nymphs, dryads and sylphs) upon the world to serve as protectors and guides for humanity. These races each represent a force of nature (one of light, fire, earth, air, water) and have magical powers in that realm. The leaders of the races do not know their origins. They are collectively known as The Enchanted Covenant.

The ancient beings foresaw the potential of humans to harness scientific knowledge and innovation, but recognized the need for balance and preservation of magical and natural forces.
The ancient beings established the Schools of Balance and assigned specific mythological races to each school, creating a structured system of collaboration and guardianship.
Humans, in turn, learned to appreciate and respect the powers and wisdom of the mythological beings, acknowledging their vital role in maintaining harmony and promoting sustainable development.

FIRST STORY (origins of the series), probably titled The Discordant Shadows:

The Discordant Shadows are malevolent entities that have emerged from the deepest recesses of the magical realms. These shadowy creatures possess the ability to corrupt and disrupt the delicate balance between magic and nature, spreading chaos and disharmony in their wake.

As ten 14-year-old students embark on their first year of education at the School (one human and one partnered Mythological Being from each sphere of influence), they become aware of the growing influence of the Discordant Shadows. These shadows aim to exploit the vulnerabilities within the world and weaken the connection between the mythological beings and humanity, ultimately threatening the harmony and equilibrium that the Aequorians intended to foster.

The young students are thrust into the position of combating the Discordant Shadows. Through their courage, determination, and commitment to the principles of balance, they strive to uncover the origins of this emerging threat and find ways to counter its destructive influence.

By successfully battling against the Discordant Shadows and restoring harmony in their immediate surroundings, the students earn the recognition and early tuition from the esteemed Balance Scholars. This opportunity allows them to delve deeper into their education, unlocking their true potential and understanding the crucial role they play in preserving the delicate equilibrium established by the ancient Aequorians.

The Balance Scholars form part of a sixth school, which seeks to maintain peace and unity among humans and the Enchanted Covenant, and guide education in the five remaining Schools. Ordinarily, to be considered for tuition, one must already have gained significant skill with at least two spheres of influence, and must show commitment to all five.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's a pretty interesting setup. Is the setting a version of contemporary society with a hidden magical side, or is it some kind of High Fantasy? And what happened to the Ancient Aliens? Did they completely withdraw or are they reachable through the orbital artifact?

Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

It's modern era, maybe a little more advanced. The aliens will be contacted in book 4 of 5, where they set a challenge to see how the planet has matured. If they are found worthy, they get admitted to galactic society. Otherwise, they are cut off forever
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Okay, I was picturing it kind of like The Hobbit, but it's more like Harry Potter meets 2001. :D