Choir Madness!!!

For reviews of any plays, or musicals, operas, etc. Also a place for those who themselves are performers. YouTube videos are encouraged!!

Moderator: Sean

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Choir Madness!!!

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, I give up, at least for now. I tried every suggestion I got on TrekBBS and I tried adapting LiveVideo's own non-autoplaying code to the BBCode and nothing works. I have no idea why. :loopy:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^Well, thanks for tryin' :hug:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

No problem. If I come up with more info or flashes of genius, I will try again....
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

*Blows dust off of records*

It's been a while, eh?

Two more to add to the album collection. The first one is the Men's Chorale, singing The Awakening. I wasn't too one of this song myself. It's a nice piece, but I don't think it sounded as good as others we have performed.

[youtube]-jaAd-qO_-s[/youtube]

This next one is the first of the pieces performed by the Chamber Singers, "This Can't Be Love". Nice little piece. :yes:

[youtube]zrV-gMpWkPI[/youtube]

My theory about YouTube using the name of the raw upload file to generate related videos seems to be correct, as I named these ones with simple abbreviations of the titles, and all that's generated are videos with abbreviations as well. :D I win Youtube!

No clue when I'll get around to making the next round of videos...might be a while. The next ones up are good ones though. :yes:
:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Both of those are beautiful. The first one is very serene, and goes well with those great photos that you used. The second one is nicely retro; sounds like it came from a WWII-Era film with Bing Crosby and the Andrew Sisters or something. :thumbsup:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^You're right, it kind of does. :yes:

Today is a piece from the somewhat out-there Ward Swingle. Country Dances.

[youtube]FN73uJ6U79Y[/youtube]

Kinda like a medley of every single American folk song you've ever heard. :loopy: This piece is so unbelievably hard that my teacher's been doing it with every select group for the past 10 years. This group was the only one to make it the whole way through (once!) during rehearsal, so they got to perform it. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Wow. :lol: That's hypnotic. :loopy: Very nice, though, and I love all the songs referenced, especially "Arkansas Traveler" (which is one of the first songs I can ever remember singing when I was very young). And, once again, beautiful pictures to go along with it. :yes:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^I love Arkansas traveler. I need to relearn it on the violin. Devil's Dream is nice too. :yes:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

I'm gonna take a bit of a break from uploading CD files, so that I can share a few highlights of Monday's concert. :yes:

Good Old Acapella...it's one of those songs that you'd figure would be performed in a standard "barber shop quartet" style, which it was, for the most part, however we added a few new musical stylings to it...including that bit in the middle (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it), and some dissonant notes at the end. I'm 2nd from the right, showcasing my inability to snap in rhythm. :D

[youtube]075IJNz_myY[/youtube]

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

:veryhappy:

I love it. Great tune, and the bit in the middle actually fits in pretty well, in addition to being humorous. :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

This is a test...

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Next, the final song Chamber Singers performed at the '09 spring concert, "Hold Me, Rock Me".

I like how mellow it is. Kinda gives off a romantic vibe too, like something you'd serenade your special someone with.

[youtube]jnTZhhZHyzU[/youtube]

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Sweet. Perfect music for a nice, calm Sunday morning. :yes:

It constantly amazes me how these need no music whatsoever. Whenever I hear somebody singing, or any time I've heard an isolated vocal track, the lack of music is very apparent; but these choral pieces just sort of embody the music in the singing so that it's all the same thing. Very nifty.

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

That is the beauty of a cappella. Your voice is not only responsible for the main theme of the song, but also the accompaniment. (I'm assuming that's what you meant by 'music'...the vocals are really what's considered the 'music' when it comes to singing.)

Surprisingly, I have another video to post today. This was the first song on our concert with guest conductor Dr. Andre J Thomas, May 27, 2009. "Noel" is an African song celebrating the rebirth of Christ, I think. It is normally performed at Christmas time...but we wanted to shake things up a little.

[youtube]3Gt5h4Tt_iw[/youtube]

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Sean wrote:That is the beauty of a cappella. Your voice is not only responsible for the main theme of the song, but also the accompaniment. (I'm assuming that's what you meant by 'music'...the vocals are really what's considered the 'music' when it comes to singing.)
Exactly-- no musical instruments. Although this one did have musical instruments. :lol: Very nice (and the pictures were perfect); it was beautiful and quite evocative.