I'm not a Christian. I'm a Musician.

Post your original essays or articles here.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

I'm not a Christian. I'm a Musician.

Post by Sean »

I broke one of the key rules of any relationship tonight. I got into a conversation about religion with a friend. Thankfully, we’re good friends, and she’s neither pushy, nor judgmental when it comes to religious beliefs. Years ago, I swore off organized religion, and become a devout agnostic. It made sense to me…I am not one to blindly follow, and since I see very little proof of a God, I choose not to believe in one. I don’t deny the existence of one…I mean, there’s no way for me to know what really exists and what doesn’t, other than what I can see with my own two eyes, or can back with valid 3rd party evidence.

Anyway, we ended up talking about how the relationship with God is a very personal one that shouldn’t be dictated by any church or sect. My friend claims to have discovered this relationship, and says that when it happens, you know it. I got to thinking about music. I can think of no more touching, emotional, or perfect experience than music. In essence…music embodies everything that is perfect about life (something that many attribute to Him). Emotion, turmoil, beauty. Mystery. Why do certain chords sound beautiful…while others make us cringe? Who decided that? Did it just happen? I find it hard to believe that one guy just sat down and decided what we’d all find beautiful, ugly, serene, or depressing. Trial and error, perhaps? Yes? Who knows. All I know is that I find it hard to believe that humanity could create something so beautiful when we ourselves are so ugly. We’re destroying our planet…we’re destroying eachother. Yet in all of this exists music, a thing of infinite beauty and passion. I have a ton of faith in humanity, and our ability to love, and all that stuff. But I do not for one second believe that Music happened “just because”. There has to be a reason for this. Evolution can be scientifically explained…the birth of life even has that big bang/primordial soup theories going for it. Music though? I have no logical or concrete reason for its existence. And, thus as per my beliefs, since there is no scientific reason for it, God may be responsible for it. I’m not saying He is…I’m just saying it’s a possibility.

Perhaps…the wonderful, enlightening, breathtaking feeling that I jokingly describe as a Musicgasm is in fact me “finding God”. Who knows. It’s a possibility. Maybe…maybe by singing, and sharing the joy of music with others, I am effectively worshiping. I’ve never considered this possibility before, but it’s honestly intriguing. Following the progression of logic presented in this post, we have learned:
  1. Music is too perfect to have been created by man. Thus, God is a possibility.
  • A musicgasm…an expression of this perfection, is quite possibly some sort of connection with God.
Logically then…by singing in concerts and whatnot, I am spreading the joy of music, which could possibly be some sort of expression of perfection from God Himself. So…am I not worshiping when I sing? Acknowledging and sharing the gift. I don’t know about you…but being raised Christian growing up…that’s what worship was described to me as.

It’s not like I’m suddenly going to go all Jehovas Witness or anything (or go to church for that matter)…but I can’t deny the fact that Music, more than anything, presents evidence that a God may in fact exist. My own logic seems to have taken me in a direction opposite of that from which is spawned. I don’t mind though. In the end, I’m just out to find myself like anyone else…and spirituality is one very important aspect of everyone. I still believe in my friends, in my rights…and in love. Maybe I also believe in Him. I guess if anyone asks…I’m not a Christian. I’m a Musician.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: I'm not a Christian. I'm a Musician.

Post by RJDiogenes »

The idea that music is too perfect to be created by Man is a huge assumption (even if you ignore all the bad music out there). Should that line of thinking also be applied to the other Arts? Poetry? Literature? Painting? Dance? Are these forms of expression imperfect enough to be Human creations, or are they evidence of a supreme being too?

Music can exist because of the way the mind interacts with its environment. The mind responds to sound just as it responds to images and ideas and even fragrances. Since all people have this interaction in common, music is a common experience-- though it does vary widely from culture to culture, just as individual taste varies.

Music is a form of expression just like any other. It can be good or bad or great or awful-- and perfection is a very subjective idea. I don't think the existence of music proves anything beyond the fact that Humans are capable of creation across a wide spectrum.

I do, however, think that we had help with those pyramids. :saucer:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape: